Author Topic: [IC] Maxkeys Lavender Fields  (Read 4365 times)

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
[IC] Maxkeys Lavender Fields
« on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 23:11:10 »
So here's the dippin-dots dimmadome dealio: I like green, I like purple, I like SA, I like monotone keysets. So here's what I'm throwing at you today:

See this, I like this picture. It's got purple, it's got some green, and it looks like when you're looking at the rows of a keyboard from the side. Next step:

Option 1

Option 2

I'm looking to make an SA set, specifically Maxkeys which you'd know from the title, and obviously I've got to go with the option people prefer if I want the set to succeed.

Set details I'm working on:

- Kits - I have a rough idea of approximately what compatibility Maxkeys has but I want to hear back from them to see if they have like a chart of everything they have available so I can make the best kit I can.

- Timeline - Depends on Maxkeys mostly, as well as the color matching process. Both of these colors are matched to RAL samples to be able to get good matches.

I can't think of anything else right now, but go ahead and vote at https://www.strawpoll.me/16603706 for your preferred color.

Renders done by the ever lovely @amorphous on the discord and more to come once one of the colors is nailed down.

Positive vibes only please.

Offline Rubbermilitia

Re: [IC] Maxkeys Lavender Fields
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 23:15:33 »
I like the more muted purple of option 2, but is there a way we could try making the green less neon, and closer to a natural green like Camping

Offline Tree_

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 23:23:58 »
Isn't this basically SA Neon Gelatin?

Option 1. Please give Eva novs.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 00:04:59 »
Purple...I’m in!

Offline dario

• obsessive–compulsive hardware slut
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 03:22:55 »
Pretty good, but you should experiment with fonts colors a little bit. Not sure green is the best choice, maybe gold~ish would work better.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 07:10:31 »
I like the more muted purple of option 2, but is there a way we could try making the green less neon, and closer to a natural green like Camping

Both are really around the same level of "muted" it's just one is 134 red vs 170 blue and two is 118 red vs 176 blue. The green is meant to be GMK's AE which is always a bit brighter in renders since the color codes they give for their colors are as off as their renders tend to be. I personally think the green is a nice color to represent new stems and fresh herbaceous growth, but that can be changed if it seems like something else would suit it better.

Isn't this basically SA Neon Gelatin?

Option 1. Please give Eva novs.

I guess if you ignore color shades and just call the base color "purple" then sure, but it's meant to be thematically different and allow me to go full custom with the colors to suit this different theme. As such, there's no plan for EVA novelties, but we may see some other ones if people want them over just keeping the kit simple.

Purple...I’m in!

Yeah, I know right?!

Pretty good, but you should experiment with fonts colors a little bit. Not sure green is the best choice, maybe gold~ish would work better.

As most growth on a lavender plant will be herbaceous and from that growing season, I think a light green is great to represent that but I want to try to stay away from a pastel green, so it needs to stay pretty vibrant.

Offline monkt

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 11:36:00 »
Both are really around the same level of "muted" it's just one is 134 red vs 170 blue and two is 118 red vs 176 blue.

Since the blue is almost the same in both, do you think we could see an example with the red taken to more of a middle ground between the two? As it stands, I actually like both and have a hard time deciding. I think that's because in the photo you can really see both the more red leaning and the more blue leaning colors in the flowers. Since we can't have both, maybe something more in the middle?

Either way, I love the concept. And I like the mono design, too.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 16:05:19 »
Nice set, I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 18:00:33 »
why dont more people run maxkey sets?

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 23:48:44 »

No idea really. I think there's somewhat of a stigma against them since their early legends had some issue, but SP sets had legend issues for a long while before they were fixed and Maxkeys fixed theirs relatively soon after people started getting onto them about it. Sure there's not much niche compatibility, but the way I see it is that kits with those keys in them would struggle to hit MOQ in an SP GB, so it's not much of a loss for the price savings that you get running them vs SP, as well as other benefits such as receiving your set in a decent tray and box vs ziploc baggies in a bubble mailer.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 00:34:54 »

No idea really. I think there's somewhat of a stigma against them since their early legends had some issue, but SP sets had legend issues for a long while before they were fixed and Maxkeys fixed theirs relatively soon after people started getting onto them about it. Sure there's not much niche compatibility, but the way I see it is that kits with those keys in them would struggle to hit MOQ in an SP GB, so it's not much of a loss for the price savings that you get running them vs SP, as well as other benefits such as receiving your set in a decent tray and box vs ziploc baggies in a bubble mailer.
I agree w/ everything donutcat said. Don’t get me wrong, I love 40s kits too; however, if I can get the opportunity at great SA set minus a 40 kit, I‘ll go w/ MAXKEYS. Besides if anyone wants all those additional keys, I’m pretty sure if money is provided for the molds, everyone will get what they want. Either way, I’m in for this set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 21:22:29 »
i suppose i didn't think about all those people that use abnormal layouts and such i never run into that problem with my maxkey sets so i never thought about it. the only thing i like about SP more is the sharpness of the molds for there keys but for the price i can get over that,