Author Topic: Video of typing on a Truly Ergonomic  (Read 3679 times)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
Video of typing on a Truly Ergonomic
« on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 14:15:21 »
There didn't seem to be any videos of it online so I thought I'd upload one. Here's typing on a 104 model with brown switches using Colemak layout. The text I typed had a few question marks too so you can see the use of the sort of unusual placement of that key, though it's really not bad at all when you get use to it. The only trouble I have with this is that I keep forgetting that the position of the shift and control keys have moved when I switch between keyboards. I wish I could somehow have both of them on the home row as I like having Shift there (could be a single width key perhaps with control to its side) but I tend to still confuse Ctrl and Shift.

[video=youtube;gEGIR-Fqt9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEGIR-Fqt9I[/video]
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 March 2012, 21:01:30 »
It must be the audio input because those switches sound super crisp, like no brown I've ever heard before. =P

Lefty Spacebar/Key user? Moi aussi. ^_^
Dvorak

Offline boli

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 03:13:16 »
Nice video man, you sure are fast. It's great to see more Colemak and TrulyErgonomic footage. :)
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline Roguemaster8

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 04:22:02 »
Great video, but either you are bottoming the hell out those keys or browns are much louder then I first thought.
CM Storm Quickfire | Dell Quietkey | Unicomp Ultra Classic | KBC Poker

Offline Tracer

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 10:42:38 »
The mic he's using is making them sound a bit louder, he's also bottoming out, just like me. If I'm hammering the keyboard, that's what it sounds like.

Offline treigle

• http://www.neuron0.net
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 10:50:59 »
Great video! This clearly demonstrates how the hands cant outward even while typing on a flat keyboard. I still think angled/contoured is better, but only subtly so.
Kinesis Advantage, Truly Ergonomic (ANSI), Filco 87

Offline boli

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 13:17:31 »
BTW anyone who has not tried out o-rings: I recommend giving them a try. There's also a video at the link.

The benefits are:
1. less noise and softer landing when bottoming out.
2. slightly shorter travel (but still enough to be able to avoid bottoming out)

At first it will feel weird, but give it an hour or two. After my initial test I liked them a lot and added some to my 3 Kinesis and 1 TE keyboard. :)
Keyboard: Kinesis Ergo Advantage (two LF editions with red Cherry switches, one regular with brown switches)
Keyboard layout: basically Colemak, with some remapping to end up with my custom Kinesis Advantage layout
Typing test profiles: typeracer.com / hi-games.net / keybr.com

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 14:36:43 »
o-rings are great, actually the reason I'm using o-rings is to soften the bottom out, I don't mind the sound at all. I consider them an ergonomic enhancement.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 March 2012, 23:44:14 »
I've tried o-rings but I only like them on blue switches, and I don't really like blue switches all that much sadly.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 12:30:53 »
I thought the o-rings on my brown kind of had a break in period...

They feel way better and sound different after a week or so of use vs. when I first installed them.