Author Topic: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 / GB CONCLUDED  (Read 370834 times)

Offline synchromatik

Re: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 (Invoices out, payment phase extended)
« Reply #750 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 14:08:34 »
any bluetooth pcb-s in 75% format in sight that could fit this case?

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #751 on: Thu, 14 February 2019, 15:00:09 »
any bluetooth pcb-s in 75% format in sight that could fit this case?

No, not atm 😔

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #752 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 03:17:12 »
Hey, since there isn't much to do for me other then waiting atm, I became more passive regarding posting. Also I was very busy with non keyboard related life. I wanted to check the status of the cases last week, but I was just too busy. Next week I can hopefully bring some positive news. Now that I just checked back here I see quite a lot post I missed. Will take my time to go through them tomorrow. Oh, really nice that fiber-carb-plates!

« Reply #753 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 03:26:43 »
Could anyone do a quick sanity check for me? I'm considering the KBD65 PCB from KBDfans, and as far as I see it should fit the SKB65. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Your are sane!!  :thumb:

But your SKB will not have a blocker between ctrl and the arrow keys.

Then maybe i have lost my sanity.. But it looks like it support a BR: 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1.50, 1.50, 1, 1, 1.

I had noticed the new 65 from kbd fans as well and was very happy about it. the pictures look like there are quite a few holes right to space so I hope it supports 2x1.5U or 3x1U between space and arrows as well. I suggest to just mailto kbdfans, wei always answeres quickly, should be smple to find out.

btw what I like especially about the kbd65:
- switches in the correct orientation (not 180° rotated) therefore cherry caps don't collide with the top housing
- qmk
- not too much holes/options
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2019, 03:31:46 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #754 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 03:42:09 »
ISO LIFE :cool:

(Attachment Link)

this is really nice! was really curious how they would look like in carbon-fiber. thanks for showing!
the reason the cutouts for the stabs are bigger than usual is that with this shape it is possible to take the PCB mounted stabs out after all is soldered together. So if you solder and forgot to put them in, no problem with this. so now you also don't have to make sure they are perfectly modded before you put them in, no problem to perfect them later. that kind of cutout is only possible with a dedicated layout, not with a unified.

« Reply #755 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 03:47:20 »
What are Bob's choices for a 75% PCB? Just the kbd75 or are there other options?

There are two other options, they are linked somewhere earlier in the thread and mentioned in the layout graphics.

I have a few of the KBD75 PCBs (USB-C version) here now. Wanted to add them as option to the order form for the extra cases I ordered. Just hadn't had time for it jet. So FYI, anyone who is interested in the SKB75, you can get the PCB from me as well. Also possible to add it to an order if someone hasn't already gotten it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2019, 03:53:19 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline h3xadat

« Reply #756 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 04:30:47 »
There are two other options, they are linked somewhere earlier in the thread and mentioned in the layout graphics.

I have a few of the KBD75 PCBs (USB-C version) here now. Wanted to add them as option to the order form for the extra cases I ordered. Just hadn't had time for it jet. So FYI, anyone who is interested in the SKB75, you can get the PCB from me as well. Also possible to add it to an order if someone hasn't already gotten it.

Is the order form for the extra cases already up?

Offline okidna

« Reply #757 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 09:15:04 »
Hey, since there isn't much to do for me other then waiting atm, I became more passive regarding posting. Also I was very busy with non keyboard related life. I wanted to check the status of the cases last week, but I was just too busy. Next week I can hopefully bring some positive news. Now that I just checked back here I see quite a lot post I missed. Will take my time to go through them tomorrow. Oh, really nice that fiber-carb-plates!

Thanks for the update.

« Reply #758 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 11:10:40 »

I think you misunderstood something. There is no separate order for additional cases. That wouldn't make any sense. It was one big order, a few more cases than actually needed at the time. The additional ones are what I called "extra cases".

Oh wait, now I realize that I misread your question, sorry. But similar answer: There is no new/extra form. If you want one just fill out the form that is already linked. If I run out of a particular version (according to spreadsheet) I'll take it out of the form. Only the option to add a KBD75-PCB isn't in there jet, you could just pm me if wanted.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 February 2019, 11:15:08 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline h3xadat

« Reply #759 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 05:49:29 »

I think you misunderstood something. There is no separate order for additional cases. That wouldn't make any sense. It was one big order, a few more cases than actually needed at the time. The additional ones are what I called "extra cases".

Oh wait, now I realize that I misread your question, sorry. But similar answer: There is no new/extra form. If you want one just fill out the form that is already linked. If I run out of a particular version (according to spreadsheet) I'll take it out of the form. Only the option to add a KBD75-PCB isn't in there jet, you could just pm me if wanted.

Thank you for your detailed answer. I’ve found the form. Problem was that Tapatalk does not render the link to the form correctly. At least in my case.

« Reply #760 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 04:48:08 »
UPDATE: called them yesterday

let me keep it short:
another delay

why:
they messed up most of the bottom parts.

consequence:
order more of that sheet metal alloy. they only do that together when they order their standard stuff as well, so more wait. when they have redone the bottom parts, then all parts can go to bead blasting and anodizing after that.

negative aspect:
this is really a huge disappointment for me. finally getting them was a point of relief that I was very much looking forward to.

positive aspect:
yes, I think there is one. instead of just delivering what they've done so far, they realize something isn't OK and they redo it. I think they wouldn't want to risk having the parts bead blasted and anodized and then having to take some back. that would have been much worse for all.

can I do something now:
- thinking about raffling out one or two more cases to comfort you. not quite sure how much more I can afford to give away, will see later. maybe some of the protos can be raffled out as well.
- I haven't updated the start post for a while now, just too much other stuff to do atm and this thing has become a monster. hope to be able to bring it up to the latest in the coming weeks.
- I still have one SKB60-YAS proto of which I had only shown phone pics. was a rushed build and I wasn't happy with the switches I had used. it wasn't part of the latest outdoor photoshoot. it has been desoldered and gotten new switches since. will finde time to take nice pics of that build.
- will continue to make custom plates for you on pm request (still two or three in the pipeline)

in hindsight:
I should have contacted much more factories to get more quotes.
this is all a learning process for me.

Offline Anakey

Re: [GB] SKB75, SKB65 & SKB60 (in production)
« Reply #761 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 05:15:50 »
Firstly Thankyou for giving the update, even if it is one that everyone did not want to hear your communication and updates have been some of the best i have seen in a group buy as large as the one you have done. I think that it is best you keep the extras you have in case of any further QC issues that might get picked up when you receive them you have given away so many already. It is good that they are sorting out their mistake and are going to redo the cases that are bad, however it looks like their QC is not that good if they went and did all the cases before realising that they were wrong, especially since they have done the prototypes correctly. It is also bad that you had to contact them yourself to find out what the delay is and along with their QC shows a lack of professionalism that goes against the perceived conception that German factories are good with QC and communication compared to ones in China. At least you will know for the future to find another factory to do business in the future.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #762 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 05:22:32 »
negative aspect:
this is really a huge disappointment for me. finally getting them was a point of relief that I was very much looking forward to.

positive aspect:
yes, I think there is one. instead of just delivering what they've done so far, they realize something isn't OK and they redo it. I think they wouldn't want to risk having the parts bead blasted and anodized and then having to take some back. that would have been much worse for all.

Having products delivered to the users and only then found out some critical problem - will be the worst and it happened in some GB.

Thank you for the Quality Control - which is the most important part.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline FSund

« Reply #763 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 08:01:01 »
The recent development is unfortunate, but I think anyone who has ever been involved in a keyboard-related GB have learned by now that delays are almost inevitable. And it seems like you have found a factory with a shred of integrity and ethics, as I guess many other factories would just ship the broken product, leaving the issues with the customer/GB runner.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #764 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 09:06:43 »
ISO LIFE :cool:

(Attachment Link)

this is really nice! was really curious how they would look like in carbon-fiber. thanks for showing!
the reason the cutouts for the stabs are bigger than usual is that with this shape it is possible to take the PCB mounted stabs out after all is soldered together. So if you solder and forgot to put them in, no problem with this. so now you also don't have to make sure they are perfectly modded before you put them in, no problem to perfect them later. that kind of cutout is only possible with a dedicated layout, not with a unified.

Yeah turned out great! thanks for your help with the plates! :) Will get some better pics when we get the skb`s on hand :)

I like the cutouts, its a neat feature  :cool:

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #765 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 09:07:58 »

let me keep it short:
another delay

why:
they messed up most of the bottom parts.

consequence:
order more of that sheet metal alloy. they only do that together when they order their standard stuff as well, so more wait. when they have redone the bottom parts, then all parts can go to bead blasting and anodizing after that.

negative aspect:

positive aspect:

can I do something now:
- thinking about raffling out one or two more cases to comfort you. not quite sure how much more I can afford to give away, will see later. maybe some of the protos can be raffled out as well.
- I haven't updated the start post for a while now, just too much other stuff to do atm and this thing has become a monster. hope to be able to bring it up to the latest in the coming weeks.
- I still have one SKB60-YAS proto of which I had only shown phone pics. was a rushed build and I wasn't happy with the switches I had used. it wasn't part of the latest outdoor photoshoot. it has been desoldered and gotten new switches since. will finde time to take nice pics of that build.
- will continue to make custom plates for you on pm request (still two or three in the pipeline)

in hindsight:

Thanks for the update Plastik, no stress good to catch QC as early as possible :)

Offline anfledd

« Reply #766 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 09:55:57 »
Seriously do not feel like you have to give away anything to make up for bumps in the road, this is already probably not making any money for you in the first place if you consider the amount of headache/heartache involved. Just keep updating the group with the latest and continue working through issues as they arise, that's the best thing you can do. If it makes you feel any better I purchased XDA Oblique last July and it *might* ship out at the end of the month. And those are just keycaps, not an entirely new case design. Us keyboard folk are used to waiting, keep your spirits up.

Offline jizzaztartist

« Reply #767 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 10:23:09 »
Delays are usual at this point, but at least a problem was caught as a result.

Offline Shados

« Reply #768 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 17:14:40 »

let me keep it short:
another delay

can I do something now:

in hindsight:

While some tiny percentage of people will complain about any and all issues and delays, the overwhelming majority understand that in reality, **** happens. You don't need to start giving stuff away or anything, just make sure you keep providing updates, and do what you can to resolve issues as you come across them.

Offline ampt

« Reply #769 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 23:17:43 »
Agree with all the above comments. Hard news sucks to deliver and to hear, but it's far better than the alternative. Appreciate the updates and you being on top of this. I also agree with others that you don't owe anyone another raffle. Make sure that this makes financial sense for you, or you might not want to run another GB in the future and that would be a loss for the whole community. Cheers and looking forward to the end results, whenever that may be!  :thumb:

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #770 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 01:45:10 »
He sucked it up and gave us the bad news without running away and living in a cave for 9 months. Cheers for the update and don't feel like you have to give stuff away.

Offline rondg

« Reply #771 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 02:08:54 »
I really appreciate the consistent updates and transparency. Thank you!

Offline Data

« Reply #772 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 06:45:26 »
Can't say I'm thrilled with yet more delays but I do appreciate you letting us know instead of going stealth mode on us.  This is the right way to communicate to a GB and I wish more people would take note.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #773 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 08:50:06 »
Glad the problem was caught earlier on in the process, as you said. Still looking forward to the product same as day 1 when I engaged with the IC :) Stay positive, it will work out with good communication helping things along.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #774 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 11:40:25 »
Thanks for the update, bad and good news at the same time. As I've been saying: rather wait longer for better quality than rush a bad product out. Thanks! :)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #775 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:04:28 »
@plastik, I wanna get some foam of some sort ready for the SKB. :) How thick do you think I could go? Just a piece from r3 to r1 in angel 8-10
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2019, 12:08:56 by RETURNISO »

Offline online

« Reply #776 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 18:28:30 »
sadly, I need the money for something else. Is anyone interested to buy my SKB75 spot? (of course, if only PlastikSchnittstelle allows it.)
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2019, 18:33:27 by online »

Offline eas

« Reply #777 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 19:26:49 »
So the factory might get back to work in March?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #778 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 02:29:23 »
With these updates what would the new anticipated timeline and shipping date be?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #779 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 03:54:33 »
Would be willing to give up my spot for a SKB75 if someone else would want in. DM me and we can work something out.

Offline koduh

« Reply #780 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 10:42:51 »
With these updates what would the new anticipated timeline and shipping date be?

Bump

Offline macken

« Reply #781 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 04:14:28 »
What's the current status now? Have they started to work on the new bottom parts?

Getting itchy to build my SKB75.

« Reply #782 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 03:34:33 »
@plastik, I wanna get some foam of some sort ready for the SKB. :) How thick do you think I could go? Just a piece from r3 to r1 in angel 8-10

in the front of the case there really isn't much space between the pcb and the bottom. that's only at the front edge ot the pcb. to the back of the case the space grows and at the rear end there is quite a lot of room under the pcb, especially if you choose to go with higher angles than 6°. I would suggest you go with a quite thick foam, like at least 3mm but just leave out the front area in the case where the pcb is very close to the bottom.

« Reply #783 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 03:35:29 »
What's the current status now? Have they started to work on the new bottom parts?

have a new ETA:
second week of april

Offline tedk

« Reply #784 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 04:55:19 »
cant wait :D

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #785 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 07:39:07 »

have a new ETA:
second week of april

Noice!

in the front of the case there really isn't much space between the pcb and the bottom. that's only at the front edge ot the pcb. to the back of the case the space grows and at the rear end there is quite a lot of room under the pcb, especially if you choose to go with higher angles than 6°. I would suggest you go with a quite thick foam, like at least 3mm but just leave out the front area in the case where the pcb is very close to the bottom.

Cool.

Offline macken

« Reply #786 on: Sat, 16 March 2019, 14:03:08 »
Nice. Looking forward to april.

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #787 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 06:08:16 »
I might have something for my birthday at the arse-end of April. Here's hoping!  :p

Offline equalunique

« Reply #788 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 14:24:28 »
Thank you very much for the update. I appreciate the manufacturer's and your willingness to get the cases as close to perfect as possible before sending them out.

Offline FSund

« Reply #789 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 01:47:30 »
Could anyone do a quick sanity check for me? I'm considering the KBD65 PCB from KBDfans, and as far as I see it should fit the SKB65. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Your are sane!!  :thumb:

But your SKB will not have a blocker between ctrl and the arrow keys.

Then maybe i have lost my sanity.. But it looks like it support a BR: 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 6.25, 1.50, 1.50, 1, 1, 1.

I had noticed the new 65 from kbd fans as well and was very happy about it. the pictures look like there are quite a few holes right to space so I hope it supports 2x1.5U or 3x1U between space and arrows as well. I suggest to just mailto kbdfans, wei always answeres quickly, should be smple to find out.

btw what I like especially about the kbd65:
- switches in the correct orientation (not 180° rotated) therefore cherry caps don't collide with the top housing
- qmk
- not too much holes/options

To put an end to any confusion, here's the supported layouts posted by KBDfans

216590-0

He's of course sold out now though, but lets hope he gets new stock before too late.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline Cassiebas

« Reply #790 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 06:04:48 »
Any possibility I can still get in on this gb?

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #791 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 06:18:44 »
Any possibility I can still get in on this gb?

Check the order form on 1st post  There should still be extras available, if they are not available they are not in the form :).
Order here
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2019, 06:20:57 by RETURNISO »

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #792 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 11:23:31 »
BTW for 65% buyers should check out this small GB for a 65% PCB  :thumb:

https://maartenwut.com/product/ta-65/

Offline ampt

« Reply #793 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 11:25:53 »
How does one go about getting their shipping address changed? Should we DM you PlastikSchnittstelle?

Offline SinjiOnO

« Reply #794 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 14:41:11 »
Hi, since I have enough keyboards now and I can use the money for other things I'm selling my spot. This took a lot longer than I expected, but that's the life of keyboard GB's I guess. PM me and I hope we can rearrange something (hopefully together with the groupbuy holder). Cheers

SKB60
DIY metal keyboard enclosure
YAS62 PCB

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #795 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 09:24:26 »
How goes the case making? Any news in the second week of april?

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #796 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 15:50:48 »
Yes please, I'm excited for my SKB75 to finish out the run of keeb things ordered in 2018 that are finishing out in 2019  :-\ No shade, just anticipation and looking forward to this project that I've been so hyped on for so long!
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #797 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 16:05:23 »
It's a race between the SKBXX and the Donut96  :-\

« Reply #798 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 03:47:50 »
Hey guys, OKAY, it's really hard but I have to inform you about another little delay of about two weeks. please read for yourself:

216969-0

for all who don't understand german, I asked last week if I can plan picking up the parts. the answer is basically that the parts are not finished at beadblasting and expected to be back around the 9th (yesterday) and will then be brought to anodizing which "normally takes around eight days". This would mean next week but that week is easter holiday so I would expect more like the week after that.

we are really close now, I CAN FEEL IT!

as reparation I want to raffle out two more cases. That would be three cases in total because one was already said to be raffled out but hasen't been jet. will apply to only the first 150 orders, all later are quite recent and haven't had to wait that long in comparison. will do the raffle once I have the cases.

bear with me guys!

oh damn, I had never expected it would drag out that long that I would feel the need to post screenshots of my communication.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #799 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 03:49:43 »
Hey guys, OKAY, it's really hard but I have to inform you about another little delay of about two weeks. please read for yourself:

(Attachment Link)

for all who don't understand german, I asked last week if I can plan picking up the parts. the answer is basically that the parts are not finished at beadblasting and expected to be back around the 9th (yesterday) and will then be brought to anodizing which "normally takes around eight days". This would mean next week but that week is easter holiday so I would expect more like the week after that.

we are really close now, I CAN FEEL IT!

as reparation I want to raffle out two more cases. That would be three cases in total because one was already said to be raffled out but hasen't been jet. will apply to only the first 150 orders, all later are quite recent and haven't had to wait that long in comparison. will do the raffle once I have the cases.

bear with me guys!

oh damn, I had never expected it would drag out that long that I would feel the need to post screenshots of my communication.

Thanks for the update - the community appreciates them even when it’s not always good news. Excited for the raffle and looking forward to the boards being ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro