Author Topic: [Sold] IBM Model M Internal USB Conversion With Soarer $125 USB  (Read 4714 times)

Offline ezrahilyer

[Sold] IBM Model M Internal USB Conversion With Soarer $125 USB
« on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 16:39:19 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331434166406

I have another restored Model M up on flea-bay. PM for 10% off.
Internal shipping available.

$125.00

Class A

« Last Edit: Fri, 02 January 2015, 21:26:14 by ezrahilyer »

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Re: IBM Model M Internal USB Conversion With Soarer $125 USB
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 17:30:39 »
Damn if only it was the 27th of June.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 17:51:57 »

Missed it by 1 day!
I have been on the lookout for a March 21st 1987 for a while, but no luck (My wife's birthdate) If I ever find a model F with my birthdate (June 1981) I will grab it too.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 18:00:39 »

Missed it by 1 day!
I have been on the lookout for a March 21st 1987 for a while, but no luck (My wife's birthdate) If I ever find a model F with my birthdate (June 1981) I will grab it too.

Considering I was born in a year where the boards were made by Lexmark, I just want a June 27th board, so I understand your need for those boards.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 19:46:11 »

Missed it by 1 day!

Someone should make up a webpage for people looking for specific dates on Ms and Fs. I might even implement that into my upcoming Model M online store... That would be cool huh?

Considering I was born in a year where the boards were made by Lexmark, I just want a June 27th board, so I understand your need for those boards.

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 21:25:25 »
And its sold to a fellow GH member!
Thank you all for looking.
-Ezra

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: [Sold] IBM Model M Internal USB Conversion With Soarer $125 USB
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 23:27:05 »
Thank you for reviving these wonderful historic keyboards :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 23:52:49 »

And thank YOU wonderful people on GH and DT for making it all possible!
-Ezra

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 23:53:22 »

-Ezra

Especially Soarer wherever you are.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 08:34:40 »

You are the first person to really make a success out of this.

A lot of us, myself included, have bemoaned the fact, for years, that a really nice bolt-mod would seldom fetch even an extra $20 bill or two in selling price. We assumed that bolt-modders wanted original gear to do themselves, and nobody else cared.

Then people such as 1_avid_collector came along and tried to sell really high-end refurbs (although I seem to remember that he did not always take them apart and do actual bolt-mods) for top-top dollar, and also failed.

Ezra has apparently found the "sweet spot" in price (the low-mid-$100 range) in combination with the right feature set (cleaned, bolt-modded, fully programmable USB conversion with detachable cable) to make a few bucks for himself and keep customers coming along.

PS - you put the screw heads on the metal side, with washers? don't the nuts interfere with the barrels and keys?
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 10:12:45 »

PS - you put the screw heads on the metal side, with washers? don't the nuts interfere with the barrels and keys?

This is what the top of the barrel plate looks like with one of my Rivet Replacements, you can see that the length of the screw is just enough to come through the plastic and stop flush with the top of the plastic. Unless you look closely you can't even tell it has been done from the top.

The biggest reason I decided to go this was was because of some of the pictures from other bolt-mods showing mis-alligned bolts, and nuts on top that interfered with key travel or the stabilizer wires (especially right here on the num-pad area)

This is why I refer to the conversions as 'Rivet Replacements' since I am not technically using bolts and nuts. On the bottom side; the size of the rivet is very closely matched by the small washer, this way it also won't interfere with clearance on the bottom of the case.

If you have ever noticed, on the plastic bottom case, you can see small depressions for the original rivet-heads. The flush screws and washers fit in these depressions like they were made for them.

And for the DIY minded people out there; I will be making a kit available with screws, washers, a properly sized drill-bit and possibly a nut driver.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 15:59:31 »
Where did you find these washers and screws? Something like a McMaster part number would be ideal...

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 18:35:24 »
Where did you find these washers and screws? Something like a McMaster part number would be ideal...

I order them from Bolt Depot, they are:

#4249 - Wood screws, Slotted flat head, Brass, #1 x 1/4"

#5563 - Flat washers, Stainless steel 18-8, #4

You then use a #53 drill bit to drill the holes.

-Ezra

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 06:40:39 »
Oh neat, thanks. I did some looking last night and it looks like DIN 7982 screws worked well for someone in Europe doing a bolt mod. But those seem to be difficult to find here in the US. I ended up ordering these from McMaster : http://www.mcmaster.com/#90198a051/=vtbc4j . Of course they have not yet arrived to I have not yet tried them. These were the closest I could find to DIN 7982 from McMaster. (Hate Imperial units so much.)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 08:39:01 »
Here are the ones that I have used for "classic" bolt mods:
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 08:50:51 »
Thanks fohat.digs. I've also used McMaster 90592A004 and 92005A029 for my previous bolt mod efforts. Those work just fine except for not getting the barrel plate close enough to the steel plate for vertically stabilized numeric keypad keys. Maybe I can just screw from the bottom for those but I have not tried it. I would like to try a self tapping screw from the bottom for my next attempt.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 09:32:26 »
Thanks fohat.digs. I've also used McMaster 90592A004 and 92005A029 for my previous bolt mod efforts. Those work just fine except for not getting the barrel plate close enough to the steel plate for vertically stabilized numeric keypad keys. Maybe I can just screw from the bottom for those but I have not tried it. I would like to try a self tapping screw from the bottom for my next attempt.

If you have an older M (pre-1989 or so) with a wire stabilizer and clip for the numpad "+" then you must be careful because drilling out the rivet shaft and installing a bolt (screw) will interfere with the hold-down clip on the top side.

The answer is to install a screw from the underside that is short enough such that it does not interfere, or, better, simply leave that one alone and do not drill it at all.

Nowadays, people are not worrying with the nuts at all. Drilling a 1/16" hole makes for a nice tight fit with an M2 as it cuts its own threads on the way through, so perhaps go that route. I have never shopped for lengths other than 8mm, but about 5mm-6mm would surely be enough if there were no nuts.

If you order the self-tappers shown on my invoice, the 1/16" bit will be too fat for them. I actually cut the head off a straight pin and used that for a drill bit down there.