Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage without Cherry MX switches?  (Read 2130 times)

Offline knightjp

Kinesis Advantage without Cherry MX switches?
« on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 14:53:17 »
I'm a huge fan of the Kinesis Advantage. After seeing it in Men In Black and the movie Flubber, I've always wanted one. But there is one thing about it that does not appeal to me - the switches.

I know that Cherry switches are all the rage and hence that is why they are so popular, but I've never liked the feel of them. I have spent some time with using the Blue variant and honestly I don't like the feel of them and certainly believe that there are better switches in market.
I prefer the feel of Alps switches to Cherry MX.
I recently got my brother an original Model M, and frankly the feel of that keyboard is like nothing else. I completely understand the appeal of them now. If only Kinesis used the same buckling spring switches. If only there was a way to get an old non working Kinesis Advantage and replace the switches.

But then to replace the switches, one would also need to replace the keycaps.

If one wanted to have a complete custom keyboard with the similar design, then we only look at the ErgoDox. But the ErgoDox (as good as it may be) does not have the contours of the Kinesis, which is one of the features that I want to have.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Kinesis Advantage without Cherry MX switches?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 15:04:29 »
The Dactyl is similar to the Kinesis Advantage but split in two.
People build it by 3D-printing the shell and then hand-wiring it inside instead of using a flexible circuit board like the Kinesis has.
There is someone who has built it with Alps switches instead of Cherry MX.

(note, there is also the Dactyl Manuform which is descendent of this but different)

Offline knightjp

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 13:43:50 »
The Dactyl is similar to the Kinesis Advantage but split in two.
People build it by 3D-printing the shell and then hand-wiring it inside instead of using a flexible circuit board like the Kinesis has.
There is someone who has built it with Alps switches instead of Cherry MX.

(note, there is also the Dactyl Manuform which is descendent of this but different)
Sounds good, but I prefer something that it not as completely split like the ergo dox. I prefer one piece like the Kinesis.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 15:00:03 »
Desolder and replace?
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 15:20:28 »
Desolder and replace?
It's not that simple. Alps switches are not shaped like Cherry MX switches. They are made to fit a different plate, PCB and keycaps. The "plate" in the Kinesis Advantage is a contoured piece of plastic.

But yeah, maybe one could model and 3D-print something that will fit into a Kiniesis chassis, but it might be easier to 3D-print the whole thing than to measure it to fit. People have built chassis to make an ErgoDox and other split keyboards into a single keyboard.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 15:50:43 »
Have you tried Box Navies or other non-Cherry MX-format switchs? I'm of the opinion they feel pretty similar to Alps, and they have the same footprint as Cherry switches so you can just desolder and replace.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 11:36:01 »
Honestly I wish I was rich and skilled enough to get one a Kinesis and then change the switches.

I think that Alps switches would be a perfect fit. I did find this to accommodate, standard Kinesis caps on the Alps switches.

https://thekey.company/products/nexus-alps-to-mx-conversion-kits

Offline jamster

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 11:51:18 »
You want to look at a keyboardio model 01 with Matias switches. Split board, just bolt them together with a rod if that's a problem. Not dishes, but as tented as you could want. 

I think one of the Dactyl case printer guys might offer an Matias hole option, but can't remember. Again, you'd have to attach the two cases to the same baseboard.  Though frankly if you're going concave already, split vs one piece is an odd thing to be worrying about, especially as tenting is one of he key points to these designs.

Maybe look at Malton, I can't remember what switches they use.

Alps is kinda feasible. Retrofitting buckling spring, forget about it. The switches don't work that way.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 July 2020, 11:57:00 by jamster »

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 15:59:19 »
Desolder and replace?
It's not that simple. Alps switches are not shaped like Cherry MX switches. They are made to fit a different plate, PCB and keycaps. The "plate" in the Kinesis Advantage is a contoured piece of plastic.

But yeah, maybe one could model and 3D-print something that will fit into a Kiniesis chassis, but it might be easier to 3D-print the whole thing than to measure it to fit. People have built chassis to make an ErgoDox and other split keyboards into a single keyboard.

Oh i read it wrong i though he wanted other MX compatible switches then Cherry.  Yeah this one is gonna be though i think the cheapest route is handwiring it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 July 2020, 17:36:47 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020