Author Topic: 75% Wireless Custom keyboard kit?  (Read 3371 times)

Offline missionkale

75% Wireless Custom keyboard kit?
« on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 05:07:55 »
Hi Guys! I'm looking for a relatively affordable 75% wireless keyboard kit that I can build but i havent come accross anything that is within my budget. ($100-200)

I've seen GK84 Wireless but this cost around 280-300 and is not really easily available. Also there is Akko 3084 but this is a prebuilt one.  I already have a TKL wireless mech but I really want a KB that is similar to the form factor of a 67% but with the F1-F10 keys as it is essential to my work.

Some tips or other options would be highly appreciated! :)

Offline rinkaan

Re: 75% Wireless Custom keyboard kit?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 05:55:14 »
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.288.72df5b52uQttZZ&id=616834522703&ns=1&abbucket=12#detail
only manage to see this one, but on a pre-order basis, wait of 45 days.
this layout doesnt seem too common... most ppl live with Fn+ number key to get F keys...

the kit includes PCB, Case, BT module+BT reciever per listing. i havent  bought this before, but my usual feel is BT typically saps too much power to last very long.
consistent charge times might render it worthless to be a wireless.

good luck on your search!

Offline missionkale

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 06:57:31 »
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.288.72df5b52uQttZZ&id=616834522703&ns=1&abbucket=12#detail
only manage to see this one, but on a pre-order basis, wait of 45 days.
this layout doesnt seem too common... most ppl live with Fn+ number key to get F keys...

the kit includes PCB, Case, BT module+BT reciever per listing. i havent  bought this before, but my usual feel is BT typically saps too much power to last very long.
consistent charge times might render it worthless to be a wireless.

good luck on your search!

Thanks mate! Does taobao support its website in engilsh?  The price is in Yen but why is the characters chinese?

For the BT power consumption I guess you need to use a larger battery to have it last long. Most of the batteries used for wireless keyboards are around 1600-2000mA my wireless Lam-Ang pro lasts atleast a week with RGBs on and off at times and thats not bad as I constantly switch from one laptop to another.

Offline jamster

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:10:05 »
Yuan and Yen use the same currency symbol.

Taobao is primarily aimed at the domestic market. It's possible to work around this, but it's not the most user friendly experience.

Offline missionkale

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:28:28 »
Yuan and Yen use the same currency symbol.

Taobao is primarily aimed at the domestic market. It's possible to work around this, but it's not the most user friendly experience.

Now I see, I think it will be easier for me since im just across the sea from China.

What I'm thinking is to just get a 75% bluetooth PCB and set it all up on my own. Would you advice this or just get a whole kit?

Offline jamster

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:42:05 »
Totally depends on your level of experience, both in terms of tech and with dealing with Taobao. Keep in mind that you'll get practically no customer support once you've received the product. I'm not even sure that a PCB would come with any form of English documentation, that site really is totally geared for domestic users.

Offline missionkale

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 08:51:52 »
Totally depends on your level of experience, both in terms of tech and with dealing with Taobao. Keep in mind that you'll get practically no customer support once you've received the product. I'm not even sure that a PCB would come with any form of English documentation, that site really is totally geared for domestic users.

I'll probably be bad since this will be my first ever build. Though I do have some relative experience in electronics back in college I dont think this will be that hard. But as you said if what I'm getting from taobao has zero customer support and no documentation. Its quite risky. Might as well not to.

Offline JCraftCables

• Instagram
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 05:05:22 »
75% wireless kits are pretty uncommon. If you are banging on having a reliable bluetooth connection, then am afraid that Keychron could be the only one that holds the fort (not DIY tho).

Offline missionkale

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 03:01:23 »
True, well I saw another option its the GK84 but this one is also pretty uncommon I havent seen a single proper review of this thing. Let me try and post here and see if anyone owned a GK84.