Author Topic: [IC] ePBT Origami | GB LIVE  (Read 82837 times)

Offline Nukz

• ig: nukzak
[IC] ePBT Origami | GB LIVE
« on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:25:41 »

GB Page: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112884.0

Vendors

Worldwide: KBDfans
US: Vala Supply
CAN: DeskHero
EU: Mykeyboard
OCE: SwitchKeys
Asia: ThicThock
UK: proto[Typist]
South  America: Fancy Customs

Introducing ePBT Origami, a keycap set inspired by the art of paper folding, Origami 折り紙.
I hope you like the concept, the feedbacks are much appreciated!

The Base Kit is containing everything you need for the most common layouts along with alternatives if you want no accent keys. As Origami is a Japanese art form, I chose to include Hiragana sublegends!

Hiragana Base - $85

Latin Base - $85

All of the novelties are bought through https://thenounproject.com/
Credit to Lluisa Iborra for the icons.

Novelties Kit - $25

Modern Kit - $19

Can't handle a tkl keyboard? No problem, created the Numpad Kit especially for you! 

Numpad - $19

Forties Kit - $16.50

The Accents Kit will cover some accented colored spacebars and arrows.

Accents Kit - $19

International Kit will cover most European ISO layouts.

International Kit - $19

GMMK PRO

TGR 910

Saka68

Dalco 959

TGR Jane

TGR Alice

Metal Keycaps

THOK

THOK x Origami Metal Esc Key
(Brass with Polished Gold PVD)

MONOKEI

ASERO FOUNDRY

Coiled Cables

Nerd Cables

Luxe Cables
(Waiting for sample photos - CONFIRMED)

Mechanical Keyboard Bag

From Scratch

Artisan Keycaps

Golden Star Keycap (Vietnam)

LandCaps (Indonesia)

Sandun Art (Korea)

Namong Keycaps (Korea)

RathCaps

MelonKeys

Coconut Keycaps

MeofCaps

Shirouu

Artisan Wrist Rest

Artisan Labs (South Carolina, US)

Custom Mouse by https://www.instagram.com/leonardodamouse/

Your feedback is much appreciated!

Signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111860.0][img width=300 height=120]https://imgur.com/KUBOzw2.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 May 2021, 02:13:37 by Nukz »

Offline Nukz

Re: [IC] ePBT Origami
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:27:25 »
Hello Everyone!

04/05/2021
New update posted!
- Monokei Metal Keycaps Added
- Added  new renders of TGR 901
- Added  new renders of TGR Jane
- Added  new renders of TGR Alice
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 April 2021, 13:40:44 by Nukz »

Offline Baka Bot

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:37:38 »
Nice.... Not sure how the colors tie into the overall theme (edit: much better.)
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2021, 21:13:20 by Baka Bot »

Offline Pontus

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:42:41 »
uh, I don't really get the theme and the colourway doesn't seem optimal for Epbt since everything will have to be reverse dyesub
Ok this is much nicer  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2021, 17:40:59 by Vortext »

Offline 100 percent horse

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:45:20 »
Not really understanding the connection between the color scheme and origami. Just kinda looks like almost-MoDo with hiragana sublegends.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline Oggi

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:47:08 »
This looks a lot like sky dolch with weeb subs

Offline schwartzasher

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:47:43 »
I'm loving the novelties and alt alphas! They look great together. Good luck!

Offline ZapKB

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:54:41 »
This looks like a set designed by a white person who "respects" a foreign culture. Low effort icons that you bought from an icon library and the light version is difficult to read because of near chromostereopsis. This ain't it, chief.

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 15:57:04 »
I feel like the base alphas should be white (paper) and the enter novelty should be something more interesting than a paper airplane

Offline Sturmtiger

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 16:04:46 »
I like the idea of the set, but I'm a bit lost on the theme, especially with some of the novelties. Other than that the renders look nice. Another comment is what kind of printing style these keycaps will be, I understand it's ePBT so it'll likely be dye sub but the more clarification on everything, the better in my eyes. Other than that best of luck.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 16:13:28 »
Fun set, not sure what the colors have anything to do with the theme.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 16:13:42 »
I don't really get origami vibes. More of, i like origami, let me throw some colors together and throw in some novelties. I also really enjoy origami, and i think more of the traditional paper and designs/colors would've worked much better instead of sky dolch with weeb sublegends.
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline balance

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:15:33 »
I really like the colors! GLWIC :thumb:

Offline asciisii

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:21:45 »
I like the colours, but for origami im expecting some bright colors tbh. nice novelties

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:27:23 »
reading the title I was thinking this is a great theme, glad someone is going to tackle it! then the colors just did not give me the sense of delicate paper craft at all.

I would either save these colors for another set or re theme. because origami is a great theme with potential for excellent novelties. but this colorway kind of feels like it butchers the potential of the theme
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:29:23 by Ustinj »

Offline DotMatrix

• Charue Design
    • Charue Design
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:48:39 »
As an origami hobbyist for over a decade, I feel that this set only uses Origami as a veneer and isn't truly related to Origami.

I have a large collection of origami books (60+) from around the world that detail many kinds of models and designs as well as the theory, mathematics, and history of Origami and so I feel adequately knowledgeable to talk about Origami and how it's poorly represented here.

Firstly, the banner graphic for this set shows 2 models, an airplane and some bird. Traditionally, paper airplanes don't really count as Origami, mostly because they often start with non-square paper and often include the use of glue, tape, or multiple pieces. In general though, paper planes don't fit the main intent of Origami, which is the re-creation of nature in paper. The bird one, while being nature derived, looks like someone who doesn't fold/design origami made it digitally. The lines themselves don't make sense in terms how Origami bases are folded. The body has just so many triangles that really wouldn't appear like that normally. On top of that, the wing is also something that wouldn't normally happen. For the bottom part of the wing to end in the middle while the top part extends out would mean an intentional design around that wing vs a natural base design. It's also incredibly 2-dimensional. This is obviously incredibly nit-picky of me, but as someone who's been an Origami Hobbyist for a long time it makes me feel as if the design behind this is was very superficial without much understanding of Origami.

As for the colors, the grays in the base kit don't really make much sense with the theme of Origami, gray and dark gray aren't really "iconic" or "related" in my opinion. The blue is even further from the theme, in my experience, blues used in Origami are a much more royal blue with deepness instead of this teal.

Lastly, while most of the icons look very good and accurate to traditional origami, the choices of models seems a bit odd. The airplane on the Enter Key doesn't feel right to me, it's a pretty prominent key to put something that's not really traditional Origami. The lines on the other models are much realistic and show depth and shape that's very relevant. I think the choices of which models is a bit odd. I'm surprised to not see a traditional crane. They're very simple but incredibly iconic of Origami. The first novelty definitely fits the theme, is iconic, but I wouldn't choose that bird over the crane. While the Fish, Whale, and Dog are all accurate to me, I feel there are better models that could be shown. For example, I'd recommend the turtle, frog, rabbit, boat/hat, or some other ones. They're still cool though. The elephant, if you chose that specifically because of Alain Georgeot's elephant exhibit in which 88 different elephants were made from artists around the world, then I'm deeply impressed. I have a feeling though the choices for novelties were more of "this looks cool".

I like the look of the set in general, although it is very close to Modern Dolch, but I would definitely not agree that Origami is represented well here. This is your set and you're obviously free to design as you'd like, but I feel I should express that this really isn't an Origami set.

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 17:54:36 »
Don't really understand the colors to the theme but it looks good, pretty similar to Modern Dolch though.

Looks a lot better
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 March 2021, 21:00:22 by FishyKeebs »

Offline gnaw

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 19:00:08 »
nice idea, but idk how the concept ties with dark greys and teal

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 19:54:58 »
the color is very similar to Modern Dolch (I don't think you can say "this is ePBT so the color won't match... etc...")

I only know a bit about Origami, most of the novelties look good except for the paper airplane.

Offline Nukz

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 01:18:44 »
As an origami hobbyist for over a decade, I feel that this set only uses Origami as a veneer and isn't truly related to Origami.

I have a large collection of origami books (60+) from around the world that detail many kinds of models and designs as well as the theory, mathematics, and history of Origami and so I feel adequately knowledgeable to talk about Origami and how it's poorly represented here.

Firstly, the banner graphic for this set shows 2 models, an airplane and some bird. Traditionally, paper airplanes don't really count as Origami, mostly because they often start with non-square paper and often include the use of glue, tape, or multiple pieces. In general though, paper planes don't fit the main intent of Origami, which is the re-creation of nature in paper. The bird one, while being nature derived, looks like someone who doesn't fold/design origami made it digitally. The lines themselves don't make sense in terms how Origami bases are folded. The body has just so many triangles that really wouldn't appear like that normally. On top of that, the wing is also something that wouldn't normally happen. For the bottom part of the wing to end in the middle while the top part extends out would mean an intentional design around that wing vs a natural base design. It's also incredibly 2-dimensional. This is obviously incredibly nit-picky of me, but as someone who's been an Origami Hobbyist for a long time it makes me feel as if the design behind this is was very superficial without much understanding of Origami.

As for the colors, the grays in the base kit don't really make much sense with the theme of Origami, gray and dark gray aren't really "iconic" or "related" in my opinion. The blue is even further from the theme, in my experience, blues used in Origami are a much more royal blue with deepness instead of this teal.

Lastly, while most of the icons look very good and accurate to traditional origami, the choices of models seems a bit odd. The airplane on the Enter Key doesn't feel right to me, it's a pretty prominent key to put something that's not really traditional Origami. The lines on the other models are much realistic and show depth and shape that's very relevant. I think the choices of which models is a bit odd. I'm surprised to not see a traditional crane. They're very simple but incredibly iconic of Origami. The first novelty definitely fits the theme, is iconic, but I wouldn't choose that bird over the crane. While the Fish, Whale, and Dog are all accurate to me, I feel there are better models that could be shown. For example, I'd recommend the turtle, frog, rabbit, boat/hat, or some other ones. They're still cool though. The elephant, if you chose that specifically because of Alain Georgeot's elephant exhibit in which 88 different elephants were made from artists around the world, then I'm deeply impressed. I have a feeling though the choices for novelties were more of "this looks cool".

I like the look of the set in general, although it is very close to Modern Dolch, but I would definitely not agree that Origami is represented well here. This is your set and you're obviously free to design as you'd like, but I feel I should express that this really isn't an Origami set.
thank you very much for your time and LONG feedback, i will consider every piece of advice in the next update, be sure that the colors will change and the novelties will be revised too! :thumb:

Offline Nukz

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 01:19:42 »
nice idea, but idk how the concept ties with dark greys and teal
The team is back to work, the colors will be changed ASAP

Offline Nukz

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 01:28:46 »
I'm loving the novelties and alt alphas! They look great together. Good luck!
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Offline Nukz

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 05:15:38 »
I really like the colors! GLWIC :thumb:
Thank you very much, i appreciate your feedback :D

Offline kaysoo1337

Re: [IC] ePBT Origami | NEW COLORS! MAJOR REVAMP!
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 16:52:27 »
wow nice revamp :thumb:

Offline convoliution

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 17:15:09 »
Congratulations on the color revamp, I respect that responsiveness to feedback 😊

I can feel this getting closer to the theme. The beige/off-white gives me a feeling of time-worn paper, while the gray adds a modern touch evoking dark creases. I kinda like this take.

Offline Shorle

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 17:43:15 »
I was in before the color revamp since the color scheme was perfect imo.
I loved it cause it's about time we got a set like that including NorDe characters and was hoping for this to be the one.
Also, shipment would be close to delivery of Iron 165 R2 with it's teal/petrol case - very fitting imo.
Since the revamp colors may be more fitting to the theme but I consider colors more important than theme, which makes me pass on this now. GLWIC !
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2021, 17:47:11 by Shorle »

Offline kiwoli

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 17:50:53 »
The new colours are much better, I still feel the novelties are not working as hard as they can for the theme you've chosen.
Origami is not only about final completed object, the instructions and process of folding is just as important. I feel the lexicon of origami, like dotted lines & curved arrows could make an appearance and give a lot more variety to the novelties than are currently on offer at the moment.

Offline FishyKeebs

• hey
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 17:54:27 »
Love the new colors! I’d like to see some of the novelties done a little different but it looks good :)

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 17:57:42 »
looks a lot better!
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 18:14:25 »
I heard that ePbt's MoQ setup was that, if base kit hits MoQ, then all kits will be made, is that right?

May I request a Colevrak kit please? Pretty please?

Offline CoolMike

• Mechs & Co.
    • Mechs & Co.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 20:44:51 »
Really like the idea of this set and I think the revamp definitely does it more justice.

I think novelties might need a little more work and some invigoration on the set as a whole for the origami theme.

Really nice start! Can't wait to see the deskmat.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 21:02:15 »
Massive improvement over the previous.

Some ideas:

• Novelties need some work. Inconsistent stroke thickness is a pet peeve of mine (and probably not just me). Having a more consistent pattern of stroke thickness shows not only experience in design but signals that the designs are made for a specific purpose. What inconsistent stroke thickness tells me (though not always the case), is "I took these images / icons from X and Y, and resized them to fit on Z".
  • The difference between the color of alphas and mods (from the renders) is so miniscule that it almost looks more like an error than two different colors. I would opt for both mods and alphas to be the same color if you're going to make them so close. That being said I don't have the reference colors IRL so I can't say whether or not the issue is the render or the colors picked. This set would look astounding if you got rid of the darker beige and just made the mods the same color as alphas. It almost feels like it's falling into cookie-cutter 'Pick a color for mods, alphas, legends, accents' territory - but I think you'd be better off with either making the mods more distinct from the alphas or making them the same.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 21:17:27 »
The new colours are much better, I still feel the novelties are not working as hard as they can for the theme you've chosen.
Origami is not only about final completed object, the instructions and process of folding is just as important. I feel the lexicon of origami, like dotted lines & curved arrows could make an appearance and give a lot more variety to the novelties than are currently on offer at the moment.

I agree on this,
with ePBT, you can have more freedom in what to print,
maybe we could have some "creases" or some kinds of folding instructions on the modifier keys?  ;D

Offline santela

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 23:12:13 »
I feel like the cream mods and white alphas don't really work together. They are too similar.

The different line thickness of the novelties also bothers me.

Offline floweryi

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 00:38:38 »
the more i look at it, the more i like the white/ yellow colours. the subtle greyish blue kinda throws me off though because i feel like origami is often associated with big bold colours and even patterns. another thing that is a little weird is the inconsistent line weights of the novelties. for example, the dinosaur(?)'s lines are so much thicker than the elephant's

Offline Nukz

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 01:35:43 »
Congratulations on the color revamp, I respect that responsiveness to feedback 😊

I can feel this getting closer to the theme. The beige/off-white gives me a feeling of time-worn paper, while the gray adds a modern touch evoking dark creases. I kinda like this take.
thank you very much for your feedback, be sure that this set will be the best set ever! I am working to make it the best!

Offline Nukz

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 01:36:50 »
the more i look at it, the more i like the white/ yellow colours. the subtle greyish blue kinda throws me off though because i feel like origami is often associated with big bold colours and even patterns. another thing that is a little weird is the inconsistent line weights of the novelties. for example, the dinosaur(?)'s lines are so much thicker than the elephant's
Yes, i am working now on the novelties, be sure they will be perfect in the next update! thank you for your feedback! :thumb:

Offline Nukz

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 01:39:44 »

I agree on this,
with ePBT, you can have more freedom in what to print,
maybe we could have some "creases" or some kinds of folding instructions on the modifier keys?  ;D
Very good idea of novelties, thank you very much, i will think about it!

Offline Dragonhunt

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 03:10:56 »
I tend to point this out alot:

It would be nice if the Nordic kit had the hiragana sublegends as well.
If you dont add them (for example to the y and z keys) it will look weird in the end.

Apart from that i really like the gray accents.
The paper colour is probably not for everyone but i think it works out in this case.
Looking forward to see how this goes.

Offline prognostics

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 06:22:23 »
I like the updated colors that are part of the revamp. I am definitely interested

Offline made in China

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 06:49:28 »
Ohh,i like it

Offline CrlaoSvloadr

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 10:11:00 »
Some solid changes, and even better improvements- a complete sucker for the muted accents/legends on beige look!

Offline JPoc

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 10:29:38 »
I didn't get to see the previous colors but I think this looks great. Nice novelties as well.

Offline Nukz

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 12:06:52 »
I like the updated colors that are part of the revamp. I am definitely interested
Happy to hear that :thumb:

Offline Nukz

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 12:07:37 »
Some solid changes, and even better improvements- a complete sucker for the muted accents/legends on beige look!
Thank you very much! ;D

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 12:34:29 »
New colors looking great. Can you please add a 40's kit? Not much reason not to for ePBT.

Offline Nukz

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 12:37:59 »
New colors looking great. Can you please add a 40's kit? Not much reason not to for ePBT.
thank you very much, i will consider that!

Offline gypsyunit

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 13:02:02 »
Ooh, these novelties are very nice!

Offline Vegas_

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 13:19:54 »
i think this is looking awesome! the new colors are great, very tasteful & classy!
novelties are the only thing that could use some work imo (line thickness n stuff) but that's already been mentioned & sounds like it's on your list - GLWIC, i think this set has a ton of potential! :thumb:

Offline Nukz

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 13:39:55 »
i think this is looking awesome! the new colors are great, very tasteful & classy!
novelties are the only thing that could use some work imo (line thickness n stuff) but that's already been mentioned & sounds like it's on your list - GLWIC, i think this set has a ton of potential! :thumb:
Hey, thank you very much for your opinion on my set! Definitely, i am working now on the novelties, to make them perfect!