Author Topic: Defect's Watermelon Board - Build Doc With Pictures (IMAGE HEAVY)  (Read 37187 times)

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
Hello All!

Here are build pics for my Watermelon Pure!  Wanted to share with you all, hope you like the gallery. 
Full album (with extras) here: http://imgur.com/a/O3w39

Finally got home to try to take some better pictures of my keyboard (nice camera is at home, broken Galaxy S4 is at apartment).  First few photos are from my broken phone or my roommates' iPhone.

Materials:
1x Pure PCB (with stabs) off Turtle
62x Clear Switches off MechanicalKeyboards
1x Thick Lube off Mechanical Keyboards
1x Bi-Color Vortex Thick PBT (Pink) off Mechanical Keyboards
1x Green Acryllic Case off ApocalypseMeow
200x 62g Gold Springs off Sprit (and special thanks to HPE1000!)
1x Weller Soldering Iron
1x Solder Sucker
Waterclear LED's Pink/White/Green off ebay

Messy Desk.  Case + PCB
More

Another View of the Case
More

Switches!
More

How did my Choc Mini Sneak in Here?
More

Deciding on Switches
More

Switches Soldered!  Went with 62g Lubed Ergo Clear (I used a bit much lube on the leg though...hopefully they dry out a little or I'll have to go wipe them down)
More

Throwback
More

I started mech boards with a blue switch.  Can't use them anymore but still gotta show them love!  This one is lubed to be a quiet click (I screwed up maybe 10 blues trying to get quiet click to work without over lubing]

Trying out the Splash Guard for lulz
More

LED's Installed
More

LED's On
More

I lifted the LED trace on "G," and it looks like the 5 was damaged from before hand (I bought a used Pure PCB)

Caps!
More

Caps Fitted
More

I Leave LED's Off But Installed Them Anyways
More

If any of you have seen my posts, you know I don't like having LED's on.  But I do like bling for when I'm not using my board :)

Ricer Keyboard
More

I had a blast putting this keyboard together, and I hope you all enjoyed the ride!  PM me any time for questions or discussion--Keyboards are my hobby!

Up Next: Face-W off Sprit's Round 2 Group Buy, White/Blue

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
Re: Defect's Watermelon Board - Build Doc With Pictures (IMAGE HEAVY)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 15:51:04 »
Why do all of you have to make such damn awesome boards >_> Makes me want to spend tons of money before I have even received my first board!

Offline Defect

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 15:56:19 »
Why do all of you have to make such damn awesome boards >_> Makes me want to spend tons of money before I have even received my first board!

Thank you for the kind words, Sagii, my friend!  Please do PM me as soon as you get your board.  I really hope you find it was what you were looking for!

Offline Sagii

• Time to bust some nails
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 16:49:11 »

Thank you for the kind words, Sagii, my friend!  Please do PM me as soon as you get your board.  I really hope you find it was what you were looking for!

I sure hope so too! :) qtan's answered, and it'll be most likely sent tomorrow :D
Now, back to the topic.. how did you actually install the LEDs for the case itself? (pardon me if it is in the larger album, haven't got time to look through it atm!)

Offline Defect

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 17:05:07 »

I sure hope so too! :) qtan's answered, and it'll be most likely sent tomorrow :D
Now, back to the topic.. how did you actually install the LEDs for the case itself? (pardon me if it is in the larger album, haven't got time to look through it atm!)

Nope, they're just water clear LEDS I bought off ebay.  Soldered to each switch in normal fashion.  Case is clear in the middle so they bleed the way I want :)

I leave them off anyways.  Turn them for a minute or two when I'm feeling cheeky.

Offline feizor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 17:14:22 »
Great build there, very thorough build log as well. Good work!

When you lubed the clears did you just lube the legs or did you lube the side channels as well?

Btw you can fix the LEDs where you lifted the pad by wiring the led directly to the resistor. But I guess it will show through on your acrylic case.

Offline Defect

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 17:27:07 »
Great build there, very thorough build log as well. Good work!

When you lubed the clears did you just lube the legs or did you lube the side channels as well?

Btw you can fix the LEDs where you lifted the pad by wiring the led directly to the resistor. But I guess it will show through on your acrylic case.

Lubed the legs, unfortunately.  I actually prefer the legs to be only slightly lubed, but read somewhere that I should apply thick formula to them so I tried that.  I miss the snappiness on the upstroke, but I guess I like the downstroke better.  Next board with 68g clears will use thin lube on spring/sliders only.

Lubed the sliders, too.  And of course, the springs.  I still think lubing springs has the biggest impact on feel (especially with these gold plated 62g's that are unusually pingy without lube).

For the LED fix...this was my first board that I assembled from sourced parts.  I'm just happy that it types properly!  I leave my LED's off and my username is Defect, so I figured I'd just embrace the broken G and 5.  I may explore fixes later, but more focused on building MORE BOARDS.

Thanks for the feedback sir!

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 17:44:00 »
Awesome build!

Offline aref

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 21:54:41 »
Beautiful keyboard; and what a clean build. Kudos, Defect.

The only 'defect' I see is the name of the guy who built this
incredible keyboard.

We may have to change your moniker from Defect to 'Watermelon Man',
which was also a great song from 5+ decades ago. The original Watermelon
Man is from 1963, by Mongo Santamaria--a great Latin jazz musician. The
great Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock also did versions of WM.

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 May 2014, 22:12:47 by aref »