Author Topic: What do Grown Ups buy ?  (Read 5777 times)

Offline TWX

Re: What do Grown Ups buy ?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 17:16:59 »
Tp4 has never understood the coveting of cars, 99% of the time, people are driving to work, it's a slave-mobile. The carrier of a wasted life. To diminish one's own aspiration for the inane excess of others and societies. Don't be fooled by marketing.

Show Image

you're describing cheap low end daily drivers lol

That's why I bought a '95 Chevy Impala SS.  Yes, I commute with it sometimes.  But damn it's a fun car out on the Interstate.
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 06:44:28 »
Tp4 has never understood the coveting of cars, 99% of the time, people are driving to work, it's a slave-mobile. The carrier of a wasted life. To diminish one's own aspiration for the inane excess of others and societies. Don't be fooled by marketing.

Show Image

That's why I bought a '95 Chevy Impala SS.  Yes, I commute with it sometimes.  But damn it's a fun car out on the Interstate.

one of my fav cars... but I've only driven it in video games
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline TWX

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 07 February 2024, 12:34:56 »

Show Image

one of my fav cars... but I've only driven it in video games

306048-0

It had a under 6500 miles on it when I bought it around twelve years ago.  I'm now up to around 43k if memory serves.

It's basically the very last of the American full-size rear wheel drive car whose fundamental design dates back to the 1960s.  In contrast Ford's Panther Platform (Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Towncar) was a clean-sheet design from 1979.  It features a Chevy 350 with reverse-flow cooling (cools the heads first, then cools the jackets around the cylinders) multiport fuel injection, and a funky distributor that uses optical sensors to determine timing.  It also features a transmission that is basically just an overdrive variant on the older 3-speed automatic that GM used for years and years.

The suspension and steering goes all of the way back to 1958.  That suspension underpinned Monte Carlos, Malibus, El Caminos of the sixties, Firebirds, Camaros, Trans-Ams of the seventies, and then finally everything "full size" short of Cadillac from 1977 onwards, even going under RWD Cadillacs in the nineties.

Basically this car is the last model that gives one this driving experience.  It's not a car to show off in the slaloms with, it's a big, heavy, smooth, comfortable cruiser with real power that will respond when you mash the gas and will absorb what the road throws at you.

TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 10:40:16 »
Merc E53 AMG Wagon is the ultimate grocery-getter. If I had a family and money, that's probably what I'd get.

These are hard to park.

no a '86 Grand Wagoneer is hard to park - the E-Series AMG is easy

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline LiftOffToSpace

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 10 February 2024, 12:02:07 »
I got in to Vinyl recently, so that has been fun! Trying to not overdue it and buy a bunch of first pressings. Patience is not a virtue for me sometimes.

Offline iri

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 10 February 2024, 17:03:33 »
This one is easy to park. All 4 wheels steer!

306128-0
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury