Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 606604 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2500 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 08:24:27 »

what you want is keyboard shortcut and I'm not good with those.

Aarrgh!

Not what I was hoping to hear. I use keyboard shortcuts for Everything. Avoiding the mouse as much as possible is a big deal for me.

Window makes shortcuts SO easy, and merely adding a key combination to a desktop shortcut in "Properties" gives you a keyboard short too.

Here, in Cinnamon, I created a desktop shortcut to Writer but I can't find a way to turn on a keyboard shortcut, and although it looks like I created a keyboard shortcut to GH it doesn't actually work.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2501 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 10:37:29 »
Glad you found the box to put it in and clarified your Desktop Environment as the most fun thing about Linux is that nothing you see is Linux (Linux is the kernel which communicates with the hardware) so every desktop is different. :thumb:

The command you are looking for is something like "firefox www.geekhack.org" where firefox is your browser - it can be found in "Command:" like you showed for libreoffice but with a specific url rather than the %u.  If you want to open it in a new tab (assuming your browser is already running) you would add " --new-tab" in the middle or for a new window " --new-window" - not sure these will work if you use another browser, you can see all the options by running the program name followed by --help in the terminal (you can also do this in Windows to have more complicated shortcuts)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2502 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 12:12:03 »
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !

I have spent 2 hours on Linux Mint forums looking for that very simple answer to what I thought would be a very simple question.  "firefox www.geekhack.org" worked perfectly with no need for -new-tab or any other such modifier.

Now if I can get the keyboard shortcut to work for programs like Writer I will be very pleased. When I go to Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts>Custom Shortcuts it appears that I have created something but it doesn't actually work. In Windows, executable files usually end in .exe or .com but I have never learned how to discover what file in Linux actually opens a program like Writer, and/or how to force it to execute.

I really appreciate your help on this - and hope that others in my shoes will also benefit from it.

Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline iri

« Reply #2503 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 14:18:20 »
I have never learned how to discover what file in Linux actually opens a program like Writer
Code: [Select]
libreoffice --writer
How to discover: click on whatever opens the equivalent of the start menu in your desktop environment, find Writer, right click on it. The context menu that would pop up should have an option like 'edit command' or 'command info' or similar. That option will show you the command line call like the one I shared above.

Now, I haven't used anything but XFCE in a few years, but the above is 95% guaranteed to work in any modern window environment.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2022, 14:22:24 by iri »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2504 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 14:30:19 »
No problem, simple questions are often the hardest to search for.  In Linux and similar whether a file is a program or not is controlled by the permissions, usually visible on a tab when you right click a file and choose properties (again, there are many different file managers so wording may vary)  The owner can do some things, people in the same group can do other things and everyone else can do something else (or nothing) where the options are read, write and/or execute.  If you have execute permissions on a file you can run it - though obviously if you mark your spreadsheet as executable it will error when you try.  If you want to get technical you can open a terminal and run "echo $PATH" which will show you anywhere a program could be to be called just by name, and if you have a command that works (like firefox or libreoffice) you can run "which [name]" and it will tell you where it is.

I'm not sure what the %U in your screenshot is for but as iri said "libreoffice --writer" should work.

I haven't used anything but XFCE in a few years, but the above is 95% guaranteed to work in any modern window environment.
Interestingly my XFCE doesn't let me right click on things in my menu, or rather when I do it treats it like a left click and opens it.  Hopefully it works in Cinnamon!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #2505 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 17:33:53 »
Wait, I didn't see fohat's screenshots. He's got all the pieces of the puzzle now.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2506 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 18:13:35 »

fohat's screenshots. He's got all the pieces of the puzzle now.

Those screenshots - they were all dead at the time, none of them actually worked although they supposedly should have.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2507 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 18:26:57 »
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !

I have spent 2 hours on Linux Mint forums looking for that very simple answer to what I thought would be a very simple question.  "firefox www.geekhack.org" worked perfectly with no need for -new-tab or any other such modifier.

Now if I can get the keyboard shortcut to work for programs like Writer I will be very pleased. When I go to Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts>Custom Shortcuts it appears that I have created something but it doesn't actually work. In Windows, executable files usually end in .exe or .com but I have never learned how to discover what file in Linux actually opens a program like Writer, and/or how to force it to execute.

I really appreciate your help on this - and hope that others in my shoes will also benefit from it.

In an older version of Mint/Cinnamon, I think I recall using the command `lowriter` to open Writer. I'm away from my Mint machine right now, but can help troubleshoot next week when I'm back home, if you're still having trouble.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2508 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 18:55:23 »

using the command `lowriter` to open Writer.

Thanks, but I am only interested in keyboard shortcuts. I think that I have it mostly sorted out now.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2509 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 18:22:51 »
What Kernal do you run? My server runs Debian 10 (LTS to 2024), but I had some problems with kernel 4.19. However, Debian 11 has LTS on kernel 5.10. I think I need >5.4 unfortunately. I will just upgrade to a later kernel now, but at some point I think I will change OS to something more cutting edge. Any thoughts?

Good question: I only see your message now.  I should be "reunited" with my Devuan-running 3700X in a few days and I'll check which kernel it's running.  Now...  I certainly don't think Devuan is "cutting edge": for a start it's based on Debian and Debian is ultra-conservative.  Then Devuan tends to "lag" a bit compared to the Debian release.  Others will have ideas hopefully!
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline s8erdude

« Reply #2510 on: Sun, 17 April 2022, 08:43:46 »
Ubuntu, RedHat at work

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2511 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 19:20:18 »

Offline iri

« Reply #2512 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 05:41:54 »
Show Image

Does this count as 'I use Arch BTW'?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2513 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 10:27:57 »
Show Image

Hey, I used the system to recover my Win10 key, and now I have Win10 running via VFIO with dual monitors.  Damn that wonderful Fusion 360

Offline iri

« Reply #2514 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 10:59:31 »
Show Image

Hey, I used the system to recover my Win10 key, and now I have Win10 running via VFIO with dual monitors.  Damn that wonderful Fusion 360
Show Image

Booooy, do you have lots of stuff on your website.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2515 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 11:10:47 »
Show Image

Show Image

Booooy, do you have lots of stuff on your website.

It's a damn mess too.  My plot of website needs tending lol

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2516 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 11:47:41 »
Show Image

This applies to any Arch based distro.
285396-0

Most "Arch users" are not using Arch and it's just ridiculous elitism that turns off potential Linux converts.
All those complaints about Linux users being elitist jerks, most of that spawned from Arch users.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2517 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 12:04:43 »
Show Image

This applies to any Arch based distro.
(Attachment Link)

Most "Arch users" are not using Arch and it's just ridiculous elitism that turns off potential Linux converts.
All those complaints about Linux users being elitist jerks, most of that spawned from Arch users.

Also, it's a joke for fun.  You know.. for kicks.  I don't know what's worse, someone using "I use arch btw" to be elitest, or someone pointing out the fact that people do this.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2518 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 14:36:17 »
Show Image

Also, it's a joke for fun.  You know.. for kicks.  I don't know what's worse, someone using "I use arch btw" to be elitest, or someone pointing out the fact that people do this.
A joke told nearly 12 million times according to Google.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2519 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 17:06:23 »
I used Arch btw.

Offline iri

« Reply #2520 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 18:03:02 »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2521 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 18:19:53 »
I never realised Arch was that old - 20 years ago I was using Slackware and the other big names were Debian, Red Hat and Suse, all the elitism I saw was Linux > Windows which was less true than it is today.  Having come to Arch after using most other distros at least briefly I wonder what anyone thinks is different enough to warrant elitism as aside from being newbie friendly (I read hardly anything and haven't managed to break it) I'm not seeing it.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #2522 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 22:33:49 »
Loaded Ubuntu Jellyfish (22.04) on an old Acer laptop (is running on DDR2) I had lying around, definitely breathed new life into it.  Runs alot better compared to the pig win10 was on it - plan on using it to get more comfortable with the distro and get reacquainted with it.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline iri

« Reply #2523 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 05:29:06 »
I never realised Arch was that old - 20 years ago I was using Slackware and the other big names were Debian, Red Hat and Suse
Mandrake!!!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2524 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 06:15:56 »
Oh yes, Mandrake - that was actually the first distro I installed.  Unfortunately I messed up the bootloader on the only computer in the house at the time attempting to setup a dual boot with Windows, neither would boot and had no way to ask for help.  Don't think I ever actually ran it before the name changed to Mandriva many years later :-[
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2525 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 13:00:23 »
Loaded Ubuntu Jellyfish (22.04) on an old Acer laptop (is running on DDR2) I had lying around, definitely breathed new life into it.  Runs alot better compared to the pig win10 was on it - plan on using it to get more comfortable with the distro and get reacquainted with it.

I just upgraded a two year old work partition on my laptop from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04.  I can barely tell the difference, and I love that!

And while Ubuntu is great, Ubuntu Mate may bring a bit more life to that DDR2 system.  I mean, that's not taking into account whether or not you prefer Gnome 3 over Mate.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2526 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 14:10:05 »
I wonder what anyone thinks is different enough to warrant elitism as aside from being newbie friendly

You have to *gasp* install it yourself from command line.

Seriously, that's really it, I guess they never heard of Gentoo.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #2527 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 14:19:25 »

I just upgraded a two year old work partition on my laptop from Ubuntu 20.04 to 22.04.  I can barely tell the difference, and I love that!

And while Ubuntu is great, Ubuntu Mate may bring a bit more life to that DDR2 system.  I mean, that's not taking into account whether or not you prefer Gnome 3 over Mate.

I normally tend to run a Mate version of Debian distros (Ubuntu/Mint etc) since I prefer the looks and feel of the Mate addition to the OS - I haven't felt the need to swap it over as of yet, but more than likely I will.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2528 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 14:40:16 »
I wonder what anyone thinks is different enough to warrant elitism as aside from being newbie friendly
You have to *gasp* install it yourself from command line.

Seriously, that's really it, I guess they never heard of Gentoo.
I see.  Yes Gentoo was much more "fun" but it still has automatic dependencies - if you want to do it properly try Linux From Scratch (I never went that far but had a friend who got to Fluxbox before realising just how many things were needed for real apps)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2529 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 15:36:52 »
As seasoned Linux users, which distribution do you recommend for a Linux from scratch installation?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2530 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 16:28:01 »
if you want to do it properly try Linux From Scratch (I never went that far but had a friend who got to Fluxbox before realising just how many things were needed for real apps)

I looked into it at one point, nah, no thanks.

Arco (or Endeavour) for base install (No D.E.) and build up from there, fast and easy with zero bloat.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2531 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 19:02:18 »
What Kernal do you run? My server runs Debian 10 (LTS to 2024), but I had some problems with kernel 4.19. However, Debian 11 has LTS on kernel 5.10. I think I need >5.4 unfortunately. I will just upgrade to a later kernel now, but at some point I think I will change OS to something more cutting edge. Any thoughts?

Good question: I only see your message now.  I should be "reunited" with my Devuan-running 3700X in a few days and I'll check which kernel it's running.  Now...  I certainly don't think Devuan is "cutting edge": for a start it's based on Debian and Debian is ultra-conservative.  Then Devuan tends to "lag" a bit compared to the Debian release.  Others will have ideas hopefully!

I just checked and it's running 5.10.0-11-amd64 atm.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2532 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 10:44:46 »
I am retiring from Windows and moving to Mint/Cinnamon but I have a problem in Nemo.

My goal is to rename a cluster of files such as "image00051.jpg-image00061.jpg" to "Sunday-hike001.jpg-Sunday-hike010.jpg"

Linux forums tend to be obtuse and the "fixes" that are suggested often do not work (or cannot be invoked at all).

There must be an easy way to do this. Don't people do it all the time? I certainly do.

Offline yui

« Reply #2533 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 14:04:33 »
I am retiring from Windows and moving to Mint/Cinnamon but I have a problem in Nemo.

My goal is to rename a cluster of files such as "image00051.jpg-image00061.jpg" to "Sunday-hike001.jpg-Sunday-hike010.jpg"

Linux forums tend to be obtuse and the "fixes" that are suggested often do not work (or cannot be invoked at all).

There must be an easy way to do this. Don't people do it all the time? I certainly do.
to be fair i know it exists, but last 3 times i had to do that i either used a script because i had no X (it was over SSH on a pi) or at work on windows... and i really dislike both Nemo and Dolphin (not the GC emulator, but KDE's file manager), my favorite were EmelFM2 and now Krusader (both are Norton commander clones)

a quick google search and if you do not want to use CLI, Thunar (i think it is XFCE's default file manager) allows mass renaming, and is rather close to Win7 explorer (6th entry in https://www.makeuseof.com/batch-rename-files-in-linux/)(and i just tested on Debian 9 with KDE, it installed without issues, 4MB and does indeed include the bulk renaming utility).
one of the thing i do like about linux is that if you do not like a basic part of your OS you can change it whenever you want. (if you like old windows 9x style and do not fear text file config, IceWM allows for a very lightweight and very customizable desktop, 2nd favorite of mine, after KDE Plasma)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2534 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 14:52:17 »
The way I rename files is with the TUI based Ranger file manager.  Select files with spacebar or select everything in the directory with the v key, and then :rename.  I believe it loads up whatever variable is set for $EDITOR (for me that's Vim).  From there I rename all the files with :%s/oldname/newname/g.

I uh, just use what I know from my days of running everything out of 4GB of RAM.

According to professional photographer and Linux user Wendy of Linux Out Loud: Rapid Photo Downloader is a great GUI tool for renaming photos.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2535 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 18:01:08 »

It's old but does this still work?  I know Thunar still has the bulk renamer but I don't have Nemo to see if the config has changed.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2536 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 18:40:19 »
Tried some of these but they didn't work properly or at all. There must be something wrong - with me, with it, I don't know. Am I asking the wrong question?

I absolutely cannot believe that an operation so basic and fundamental is this obscure and convoluted. In Windows it is literally 2 mouse clicks then start typing the name you want. I do it multiple times every day.

Offline yui

« Reply #2537 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 01:35:52 »
if you can do it in windows with 2 clicks i think i did not understand you, i do not think windows has any mass renaming tool integrated, does it? (i have not used windows in months now, and i only ever used it at work for years before that)
what you did was slow double click on the mane and change it?
image00051.jpg to Sunday-hike001.jpg
image00052.jpg to Sunday-hike002.jpg
image00061.jpg to Sunday-hike010.jpg
one by one
or had something to rename them all at once? (if so i did not know windows had that, and knowing so would have actually been very helpful in the past...)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2538 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 07:46:33 »
if you can do it in windows with 2 clicks i think i did not understand you, i do not think windows has any mass renaming tool integrated, does it? (i have not used windows in months now, and i only ever used it at work for years before that)
Same - except it's been years.  Did they actually put something useful and intuitive into Windows explorer when they removed all the useful stuff like control panel?

What exactly "didn't work" fohat?  I would hope Thunar installed so run that and select your files then right click and choose rename.  Then you choose "search and replace" in the dropdown and in your example type image and Sunday-Hike in the boxes and press rename.  When you next select rename it remembers what you last did so it would be right click, click, type click - I don't see how Windows could be any quicker.

If that works and is acceptable you just need to get that box to show up in Nemo, I'll install it if I have to.

Edit:  Nemo and dependencies was <10mb so I installed it and in Edit -> Preferences on the Behaviour tab (on the left not across the top) scroll down and the last item is custom command for bulk rename, which is "thunar -B" without the quotes.  Perhaps Thunar didn't install?
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2022, 08:04:42 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2539 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 07:55:36 »

do it in windows with 2 clicks

I was wrong, being careless and flip. It is actually about 4 clicks depending on how you count.

Let's say that I am in the directory "Downloads" looking at the recent photos. I can click on the first photo in the group from my hike, then hold Shift and click on the last one. The group is now selected and I can right-click on any one of the files and get a drop-down that includes "Rename"

When I start typing the files are primed to receive their new name "hike-photo", eg "hike-photo (1), hike-photo (2), etc"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2540 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 08:03:53 »

to get that box to show up in Nemo

The box shows up in Nemo. When I select the group I can't get any choice that gives me an opportunity to type in new names. But only one at a time, and I have to type in the whole thing which is a problem on files with long and/or weird names.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2541 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 08:12:24 »
Oh I see - didn't notice the numbers were changed to start at 1.  Looks like this is how you want it to work, maybe with a different number format :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2022, 08:23:47 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #2542 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 09:11:46 »

do it in windows with 2 clicks

I was wrong, being careless and flip. It is actually about 4 clicks depending on how you count.

Let's say that I am in the directory "Downloads" looking at the recent photos. I can click on the first photo in the group from my hike, then hold Shift and click on the last one. The group is now selected and I can right-click on any one of the files and get a drop-down that includes "Rename"

When I start typing the files are primed to receive their new name "hike-photo", eg "hike-photo (1), hike-photo (2), etc"
well you learn something new everyday, i never thought windows allowed renaming like that.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2543 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 09:12:14 »

Looks like this is how you wan

Yes! What is that? Thunar looks similar to that but all the choice boxes are different and the ones I need are like yours.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2544 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 09:37:31 »
It's Thunar - you're in "Insert / Overwrite" mode in the top dropdown, you want "Numbering" :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2022, 09:40:17 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2545 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 11:08:42 »
OK great. That works the way I want.
It looks like it has to be done from within Thunar rather than Nemo, but that is not a problem.
Thank You Very Much !

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2546 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 11:14:17 »
No problem.  If you want to use Nemo (I think Nemo will open if you click on a folder on your desktop and that's harder to change...) this should work:
Under Edit -> Preferences in Nemo on the Behaviour tab (on the left not across the top) scroll down and the last item is custom command for bulk rename, which is "thunar -B" without the quotes.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2547 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 11:56:39 »

Under Edit -> Preferences in Nemo on the Behaviour tab (on the left not across the top) scroll down and the last item is custom command for bulk rename, which is "thunar -B" without the quotes.

Even better.
Thanks, again

- why don't Mint forums give out such concise information?

Offline yui

« Reply #2548 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 12:13:54 »
- why don't Mint forums give out such concise information?
a mix of not being suicidal_orange, overestimating the user's capabilities and gatekeeping, at least this is my guess :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2549 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 12:56:57 »

i never thought windows allowed renaming like that.

Right-clicking to get to "Rename" works the same with any selection set, regardless of whether it is one or many. If it is singular, there is no number (eg (1),(2) ,,,, ) suffix.