Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 611245 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2700 on: Sun, 17 July 2022, 09:40:32 »
[Arch updates] already fixed.
Nope, I still get this!
Code: [Select]
pacman -Suy
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core                                                              157.2 KiB   734 KiB/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100%
 extra                                                            1720.0 KiB  7.21 MiB/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100%
 community                                                           6.7 MiB  7.62 MiB/s 00:01 [########################################################] 100%
 multilib                                                          171.7 KiB  3.90 MiB/s 00:00 [########################################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace wxgtk-common with extra/wxwidgets-common? [Y/n]
:: Replace wxgtk3 with extra/wxwidgets-gtk3? [Y/n]
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing wxgtk-common breaks dependency 'wxgtk-common' required by wxgtk2

Too long for it just to be waiting for it to pull through to a mirror, might actually have to investigate :eek:

Edit:See what uses wxgtk2:
pacman -Qii wxgtk2Nothing handled by pacman.  Great - remove it:
pamant -r wxgtk2Update complete :thumb:

I haven't used Windows on my personal machines for 15 years, so I guess Linux is a good replacement.
Nice.  It's been my main OS for at least 18 years but I used to "have to" use Windows for games.  The only thing Windows had going for it was consistently being able to find all the settings in one place (Win98, 2000, ME, XP...) but once they started "simplifying" the control panel that was no longer true.  You could also say printer drivers and games but in reality that was an advantage earned by being most popular OS so the other companies did the work for them; no credit belongs to Windows.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 July 2022, 10:34:12 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #2701 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 14:03:06 »
Google has repeatedly dangled a carrot to Linux users claiming native apps were coming then either never dropping or releasing half baked cloud based versions that only work through Chrome (and no other browsers).
honestly, i did not know google had any desktop app since the discontinuation of google desktop, to me they only made phone and web apps, but then linux user :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2702 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 17:25:53 »
Google Drive Sync for desktop was killed off, now it's called Backup and Sync.
Both are horrible but at least the original never tried to do more than it could really handle. The new one is like Apple and HP Printer software teams joined forces to make the absolute worst system they could.

We used to say you wouldn't want to fly a plane running Microsoft code but if Google ever built a plane they'd probably abandon it half way down the runway and forget to give the pilot any controls. I'm not sure how a company so capable is so inept.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline controller-works

• Controller.works
« Reply #2703 on: Wed, 20 July 2022, 20:32:44 »
I use Ubuntu 22.04 on a dual boot system with Windows 10. I started using Slackware Linux in 1996, I think.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2704 on: Wed, 20 July 2022, 20:44:50 »
I concur with most of the comments, yet, computing needs vary beyond kernel and OS basic services. From that point on, users need particular software to work; therefore, it is not a matter of hoping an os replace another; you have to be productive with your hardware-software combo of choice. What I said, framed by these previous statements, is that the Linux forks I have tried did not make my work chain more productive; in some cases, they even downgraded it. So, I am afraid that the set of software I lean on the most does not work well with Linux. So, maybe Linux is not an option for me; it does not matter how hard I want it to be.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2705 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 10:43:32 »
Now I am back to whining and begging again - about "permissions" - surprise !

I can't even comprehend what this is talking about, and going online to places such as Linux forums shows me things to do, but what they show is not what comes up on my own screen when I follow their instructions.

(My apologies, again, and should I just start a "Harry whining about Linux" thread so that I am not turdposting on this one?)

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2022, 10:52:25 by fohat.digs »
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline yui

« Reply #2706 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 13:21:04 »
Now I am back to whining and begging again - about "permissions" - surprise !

I can't even comprehend what this is talking about, and going online to places such as Linux forums shows me things to do, but what they show is not what comes up on my own screen when I follow their instructions.

(My apologies, again, and should I just start a "Harry whining about Linux" thread so that I am not turdposting on this one?)
i have used k3b extensively on multiple distroes and never managed to get this error, i guess cdrom is not as popular as it used to be :)
my guess is that your user does not have cdrom permission, try to type groups in a terminal and look if you are in the cdrom group? (as i said never seen this error, but the fact that there is a cdrom group written in the exact same way the error writes it makes me think it may be that)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2707 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 13:51:43 »

i have used k3b extensively on multiple distroes and never managed to get this error, i guess cdrom is not as popular as it used to be :)

my guess is that your user does not have cdrom permission, try to type groups in a terminal and look if you are in the cdrom group? (as i said never seen this error, but the fact that there is a cdrom group written in the exact same way the error writes it makes me think it may be that)

As an owner of an older car, I want CDs for the road and I sometimes like to make my own compilations, and also I don't want to trust my original disks in the heat ....

It appears that I should be "on the list"
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline yui

« Reply #2708 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 14:05:25 »
yeah you should have the permissions, i am all out of clues, sorry. and i use CDs for my older non usb PCs, my cars are too old for those newfangled optical disk :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2709 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 16:30:33 »
What is in the device settings in k3b?

I also see you're not in the audio group and that doesn't sound good, could be why you can't record.

gpasswd -a harry audio
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2710 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 17:27:23 »

I also see you're not in the audio group

Thank you, I have been added to the audio group, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

WTF is a group?

And I cannot find "device settings" in k3b, that is why I posted that screen shot.

Every time I turn around I am struck, yet again, how astonishingly opaque every little thing is, like walking along the bottom of a lake of tar.

Clearly, from the other side, the response is that I am learning how thoroughly I have utilized (and been dependent on) MicroSoft's hand-holding all these years.

I'm sorry to vent so childishly, but I am frustrated to be so helpless.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2711 on: Thu, 21 July 2022, 17:51:53 »
You need to log out and in again for it to notice you're now in the audio group, should have mentioned that.

As you're back in Mint I'm not sure why you're in k3b - assuming all screenshots are from the same computer.  In the absence of menus across the top I guess they hid the settings in the cog top right?  Alternately you could install xfburn which is a simple GTK frontend for things you'll already have installed.

Groups are used in both Linux and Windows, visible in the "permissions" tab (Linux) or "security" tab (windows) of the properties after right clicking on a file.  If there were lots of users on your computer or you were sharing files over a network you could own a file and have read/write access but allow anyone in a chosen group to read it without fear of them deleting it.  When it's just you on a computer you just own everything so they are irrelevant, except that In Linux devices also have a "file" in /dev and that file is owned by root then access is managed by being in the right group.  You would expect a user friendly distro to have sensible defaults, but the lack of "audio" is dodgy.

GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #2712 on: Fri, 22 July 2022, 06:29:13 »

I also see you're not in the audio group

Thank you, I have been added to the audio group, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

WTF is a group?

And I cannot find "device settings" in k3b, that is why I posted that screen shot.
a group is a way to handle permisions in a nicer and more (super)user friendly way, instead of having to change the permissions per individual user per file you assign files and users to groups, in a single user system it is less useful but still easier than having to go and give yourself the rights to all files associated with audio. and as SO pointed out windows uses the same system, just behind a deep menu that not many peoples know about :)
Every time I turn around I am struck, yet again, how astonishingly opaque every little thing is, like walking along the bottom of a lake of tar.

Clearly, from the other side, the response is that I am learning how thoroughly I have utilized (and been dependent on) MicroSoft's hand-holding all these years.

I'm sorry to vent so childishly, but I am frustrated to be so helpless.
i have the same issues when i try to use windows nowadays, i get frustrated at how hidden and dumbbed down everything is and feel hopeless. when you are used to things being one way them being completely different seems opaque, it is kinda normal, although it is much more normal for a penguin than for a window to be opaque :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2713 on: Mon, 01 August 2022, 11:50:59 »
After messing around with Manjaro KDE for a bit, I feel like Mint Cinnamon is probably going to be adequate for my modest needs and won't add more learning curve aggravation to my transition from Windows. And it looks like 21 was finally released so I will plan to do some housecleaning and then a fresh clean install. Fun!

Now for a new irritant - I bought a DVD collection of magazine back issues and it came with a "Bondi" installation disk that runs in Windows, of course.

The files are in .djvu format which theoretically might run in Mint with "djview4" but I can't get it to work. I have tried several techniques that I found online, but none of them have worked, yielding error codes that are mostly along the lines of "unknown format - cannot decode" ....

Do you have any suggestions?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2714 on: Mon, 01 August 2022, 12:50:15 »
.djvu files - never heard of them but just read Evince can open them and that's what I use for pdfs, I suggest you test it on your old install to keep the new one nice and clean.

If that doesn't work post the output of the below, lets see what type of file it really is:

file /path/to/file.djvu
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2022, 12:52:33 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2715 on: Mon, 01 August 2022, 15:43:32 »
It says that there is no such file or directory.
This is a DVD and is clearly locked down very tight.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2716 on: Fri, 05 August 2022, 16:30:55 »
If you pasted that command it would say there's no file - you need to change /path/to/file.djvu to wherever the file is - you can drag the icon into the terminal if you're unsure.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2717 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 18:53:40 »
I did a clean install of Mint 21 on my main desktop and things are going, well,  just barely OK ....

It seems like every time I go through something and it actually works - I can't get back there the next time. I have 2 monitors (I know, Linux loses its mind on dual monitors) and although the larger HDMI on the left is set as the primary and the smaller DVI on the right is set as the secondary, I can't get my toolbar onto the primary monitor. I know that it is possible because I somehow managed to get it to work under Mint 20.

Neither "Preferences/Display" nor right-clicking on the display mentions a method for moving these things around. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you. As always, I appreciate the help.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2718 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 22:00:17 »
To set your main you have to set that screen as your main, that should bring the toolbar.
Then create a new one on the second screen.

Gnome 3 loses it's mind on dual screens, that also means Cinnamon and anything else based on it does.
KDE does not (at least not anymore).
Gnome 2 does not (as far as I know).

This fixed it on older KDE and I think Cinnamon, it was in an old troubleshooting sheet I had from when I had issues with duals. You may need to tailor it to your system.
go to .local/share/kscreen
Delete the file
go to etc/x11/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf

if it doesn't exist
create 50-monitor.conf using text below. After restart select "extend to left"
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "DisplayPort-0"
    Option      "Primary" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "DisplayPort-2"
    Option      "LeftOf" "DisplayPort-0"
EndSection

More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #2719 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 18:05:27 »
I'm not a fan of Gnome 3 due to that reason right there, just want my panels to be as close to plug-n-play as possible.  Gnome 2, I have had few issues running with compatibility issues (mainly used the Mate environment).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2720 on: Sun, 21 August 2022, 21:34:01 »
After trying what seemed like the same things several times, it suddenly began to work properly. Linux still seems quite opaque to me until I learn the tricks, and it feels like there is an obscure trick for EVERYTHING.

Still haven't gotten Audacity to record.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2721 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 03:56:19 »
Contrary to Leslieann I don't think your recording requirement is at all "advanced" but we're still no closer to knowing if the problem is the "soundcard" or Mint.

Either boot the Manjaro laptop drive or put in the X-Fi.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2722 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 08:40:46 »
Contrary to Leslieann I don't think your recording requirement is at all "advanced" but we're still no closer to knowing if the problem is the "soundcard" or Mint.

Either boot the Manjaro laptop drive or put in the X-Fi.

I can now record my favorite radio station via streaming over the internet using pulse and default, but it comes in at very low volume even with the sliders up full on.

The old (early 2000s) sound card does not fit, it looks "almost" right but the track and socket are slightly different lengths.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2723 on: Fri, 26 August 2022, 10:29:40 »
Well that's something!  Is the sound clean enough to amplify? (ctrl+a then click effect -> amplify)  I would think that is the more complicated option compared to just recording a line in or mic.  Maybe they too are quiet and just need the volume of whatever you're recording turned up?

Sounds like a PCI soundcard, you can get adaptors to the modern PCI-Express but looks like they're designed for thin cards while yours probably isn't.  By the time you also buy a ribbon to relocate it you could probably buy a new soundcard...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2724 on: Sat, 26 November 2022, 03:37:59 »
I made the mistake of thinking about upgrading to an M.2 SSD and within hours had my first problems with my years old Arch install - Firefox repeatedly crashed locking up X when either copying or pasting a few words using right click.  Switching to a real terminal and killing Firefox resulted in a strange "black screen of death" with red writing when returning to X but of course being Linux it offered click to recover rather than needing a reboot :P
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #2725 on: Sun, 27 November 2022, 12:52:43 »
I made the mistake of thinking about upgrading to an M.2 SSD and within hours had my first problems with my years old Arch install - Firefox repeatedly crashed locking up X when either copying or pasting a few words using right click.  Switching to a real terminal and killing Firefox resulted in a strange "black screen of death" with red writing when returning to X but of course being Linux it offered click to recover rather than needing a reboot :P
yeah i loved that "Restart X" there was in IceWM, when something is wrong with the DE no need to reboot the whole system, although i never needed it in Ice, and would have loved it in KDE :)
Forgot, now on SteamOS 3, it is rather good, but unfinished, and does not have printing support.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 November 2022, 14:05:36 by yui »

Offline iri

« Reply #2726 on: Mon, 28 November 2022, 02:41:23 »
Doesn't Ctrl-Alt-Backspace do just that, restart X?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2727 on: Mon, 28 November 2022, 06:38:06 »
Yup.  I didn't need to though, killing Firefox recovered the rest of the session.

Still happening, might be time to try something new :eek:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #2728 on: Mon, 28 November 2022, 11:25:40 »
well you taught me something new

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2729 on: Sat, 03 December 2022, 05:21:57 »
Still crashing, time for another distro!

Guess I need to read up on general changes, Wayland(?) being one I've heard of but ignored (unless Arch seamlessly transitioned for me...)  Anyone know of anything else I should know about?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2730 on: Sat, 03 December 2022, 13:53:01 »
While some of this may be a distro issue or drive issue FF has had a bug recently where it just locks up.
Haven't had it take the desktop with it though.

If it's been years and a major drive change, a re-install is probably not a bad idea anyhow, Linux isn't Windows but it still does occasionally benefit from a cleanout.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2731 on: Sat, 03 December 2022, 15:55:34 »
While some of this may be a distro issue or drive issue FF has had a bug recently where it just locks up.
Oh!  The desktop kinda crashed but fully recovered the first couple of times where I killed the Isolated Web Content processes as one was showing high CPU load, since straight killing Firefox it's not happened.

From reading around Wayland is still not compatible with everything and I'm intrigued how long this install can last as it's showing no signs of age related slowdown, it can surely survive until I have to "upgrade" the mobo so may as well leave it for now.  Would never have thought such a big bug could make it into Firefox, sad times.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2732 on: Sun, 04 December 2022, 03:19:38 »
Oh!  The desktop kinda crashed but fully recovered the first couple of times where I killed the Isolated Web Content processes as one was showing high CPU load, since straight killing Firefox it's not happened.

From reading around Wayland is still not compatible with everything and I'm intrigued how long this install can last as it's showing no signs of age related slowdown, it can surely survive until I have to "upgrade" the mobo so may as well leave it for now.  Would never have thought such a big bug could make it into Firefox, sad times.
It may not be a FF bug but a copy paste bug in the OS, or Wayland, hard to say.
I had something similar a while back, I reloaded one system before finding a cure and it fixed it, but I don't remember what did it on the other but did fix it without a re-install. It was something stupid if I remember right. And yeah, Wayland needs time to mature, it's getting there though.

With how many different projects Linux relies on, by so many different people, the fact that Linux even works at all kinda blows my mind.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2733 on: Sun, 04 December 2022, 06:27:55 »
Having checked I don't have Wayland and nothing else has crashed (text editor, audacity, gimp and terminal have all seen use, though not as much as Firefox) so pretty confident Firefox is the problem.

With how many different projects Linux relies on, by so many different people, the fact that Linux even works at all kinda blows my mind.
It is impressive, especially when there's at least two of pretty much everything from the lowest level CPU scheduler to GUI toolkits!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #2734 on: Thu, 08 December 2022, 17:12:38 »
i have had much better luck lately with firefox not filling up the ram and crashing my whole system (yes still on my broken debian with broken oomd), until yesterday when it crashed twice, still better than chrome but still
It is impressive, especially when there's at least two of pretty much everything from the lowest level CPU scheduler to GUI toolkits!
I do understand where you are coming from but to me it make sense that it would work, all the projects aim to be Unix/POSIX compatible (at least should), and aim to do one (or a few) thing(s) well, when you have a theoretically infinite number of peoples working on something, that seems like the best way to get anything done :) still impressive though

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2735 on: Sat, 10 December 2022, 03:10:08 »
Just as an update my crashing seems to have stopped, I've updated the system a couple of times but Firefox was not upgraded.  Strange but not going to complain

Correction - it just  crashed :(
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 December 2022, 17:11:36 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2736 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 06:43:57 »
Is it just me, or do other people also experience that Fedora often has kernel hangs? I suspect it is how NVIDIA is patched into stock kernel. Oftentimes when doing GPU intensive stuff OR Firefox, I have kernel hangs. It always starts with firefox locking up, then I cannot open terminals or do anything, and then the mouse freezes.

When I don't touch firefox for hours, but mostly stay in neovim or tmux in terminal (urxvt), it's fine. When I am in Firefox longer times, always a freeze at some moment.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2737 on: Tue, 20 December 2022, 12:21:24 »
The FF bug I was seeing when highlighting/copying is an older bug that returned and was a result of libx11, not FF.

Only time I see FF crash otherwise is if I spent far too long on eternal scroll, specifically Reddit which is poorly coded.* My systems is pretty rock solid.

*Blame management for the typical "I don't care how, just get it done" attitude.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2738 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 02:25:04 »
Wanted to try something fresh so switched one of my VMs from Ubuntu to Fedora.

Fedora went the windows route with their update system, I don't mind, works well.

I'm ashamed to say that I sold my Linux server - during this period where electricity just costs too much in my country I had to retire it.

Offline Mandan

« Reply #2739 on: Thu, 12 January 2023, 11:40:17 »
at home:

1986-1996 DOS, beginning with IBM DOS 2.1, ending with DR-DOS 5, 4DOS command interpreter, DESQview multitasker, and QEMM memory manager

1996-1999 Windows 95, though the only Windows software I had was Netscape.  I ran all my DOS software in console windows.

2000-2011  Mandrake/Mandriva Linux, until it was discontinued

2011-2020  OpenSUSE Linux (KDE)

2020-present  KUbuntu

Not counting brief flings with IBM OS/2 1.3, Red Hat, and Debian.

I think KDE went seriously downhill when they did the rewrite between 3.10 and 4.0; it lost both features and stability.  In return, it got a bunch more eye candy cruft to seek out and turn off. 

at work:

I was a SCO sysadmin in the mid-90s.  IT's budget wouldn't stretch for more copies of SCO, so I set up a couple of Slackware servers with the SCO emulator package.  They ran just fine.

I'm retired and only have a couple of clients now; I have all their servers running OpenSUSE, some of them hosting Windows 10 servers in virtual machines, and some VNC terminals running Raspbian on Raspberry Pis. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2740 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 12:45:33 »
It seems to me that youtube-dl has completely stopped working in recent days. I have un-installed and re-installed it multiple times and it always returns errors.

Has YouTube just gotten angry about it and shut it down?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2741 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 13:12:26 »
Youtube (and Docs)  is where Google experiments with ways of damaging the competition, they regularly "test" new things that break everything other than Chrome.

It may work again in a few days, it may not, depends on the developer and Google.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline spippy71

« Reply #2742 on: Fri, 24 March 2023, 15:25:01 »
Fedora and Raspberry Pi OS

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2743 on: Sun, 26 March 2023, 13:14:30 »
I have been using Zorin Pro (A Ubuntu fork) for a month with no major issues so far. I think that I found my silver bullet.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2744 on: Tue, 11 April 2023, 10:24:39 »
Is Vera better than Vanessa, and, more importantly, is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2745 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 12:22:23 »
Is Vera better than Vanessa, and, more importantly, is it a worthwhile upgrade?

I updated an older Dell XPS 13 from Vanessa to Vera a few months ago. Most of the changes are to the GUI, and I had to do some work to get my preferred mouse cursor back. Flatpak support in the update manager is nice, if you're a fan of flatpak.

My typical philosophy is usually not to care too much about the point releases, but they are fairly straightforward upgrades compared to changing major versions.

Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2746 on: Mon, 17 April 2023, 16:35:19 »
Still all kind of Debian or Debian derivatives / fork.

I just build a new PC: AMD 7700X.  I installed Debian Bookworm (it's not considered "stable" yet but should be soon, it's in testing but "hard freeze" already, so in Debian's world that means quite stable already).  Working flawlessly so far (been using that 7700X since a few days).
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Terrysko

• Optimizing, modifying, perfecting, my lifestyle!
« Reply #2747 on: Tue, 02 May 2023, 08:15:02 »
I just build a new PC: AMD 7700X. I installed Debian Bookworm (it's not considered "stable" yet but should be soon, it's in testing but "hard freeze" already, so in Debian's world that means quite stable already). Working flawlessly so far (been using that 7700X since a few days).
About 1½ years ago I faced a similar task, building a powerful HTPC: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X. The implementation of this project took almost four months in total, but it paid off, as the energy consumption and its key data were very important to me. Although it wasn't initially clear whether I should choose Linux Mint or Debian, I decided at the last minute in favour of the ingenious compromise LMDE and have not regretted it to this day.
"We approach manufacturing by applying unique ideas and technologies to satisfy real-world needs." - Topre Corporation

Wishlist: Topre Realforce 105U;

Offline Marboard

• Marboard.net
« Reply #2748 on: Sat, 06 May 2023, 09:36:25 »
I use Manjaro with Gnome.