Author Topic: [IC] The TK78, a custom 78 Key 60% + numpad keyboard  (Read 79001 times)

Offline doodersbrother

Re: [IC] The TK78, a custom 78 Key 60% + numpad keyboard
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 20:13:38 »
The parts for the prototype are slowly coming together. We should have an update with details on the final version of the plate and case in the coming days. The Group Buy for the board looks like it will be on the beginning of August.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 06:28:14 »
The parts for the prototype are slowly coming together. We should have an update with details on the final version of the plate and case in the coming days. The Group Buy for the board looks like it will be on the beginning of August.

Cool! Have you ever consider doing a version with an acrylic mid piece? Perhaps it would ask for a lot of changes on the case but I'm curious.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 07:17:35 »

That is excellent news.

Offline Seranite

• Doesn't know what's going on.
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 12:57:42 »

That is excellent news.

+1 I am excited for this.

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 15:16:35 »
How much power can you draw from the USB hub? I've heard that's an issue with the HHKB for example.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 15:53:58 »
How much power can you draw from the USB hub? I've heard that's an issue with the HHKB for example.
Can't draw much here either. If the datasheets of the components are right, we are talking about 200mA maximum per port.

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 16:24:53 »

Cool! Have you ever consider doing a version with an acrylic mid piece? Perhaps it would ask for a lot of changes on the case but I'm curious.

No, but the next board I am planning will have a small acrylic window of sorts on the back with an RGB LED.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:07:21 »

No, but the next board I am planning will have a small acrylic window of sorts on the back with an RGB LED.
Would it have the same layout?

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #108 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:32:41 »

No. It's still in the concept stage so we don't know if it's even going to be produced.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:33:56 »

No. It's still in the concept stage so we don't know if it's even going to be produced.
Fair enough.

Offline vistination

• Store
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 13:44:00 »
 :eek:
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 July 2015, 13:46:14 by vistination »
TK78 maker

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 13:45:43 »
Another quick update!

I found places for sandblasting, laser cutting, anodizing, and milling that all offer very reasonable prices in the US. Which means that the entire board (except for PCB) will be made in the US for those people who care about this kind of stuff.

Offline Seranite

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 14:45:37 »
Another quick update!

I found places for sandblasting, laser cutting, anodizing, and milling that all offer very reasonable prices in the US. Which means that the entire board (except for PCB) will be made in the US for those people who care about this kind of stuff.

USA! USA!

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 14:13:09 »
Another update: Final revision of the plates have been ordered. One just sandblasted, and two sandblasted/anodized in neon blue and the standard gunmetal grey. Should be here in a week.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 23:16:21 »
Awww yis.

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 01:00:45 »
Large Update

PCB's
Just ordered the prototype PCB's. We had a bunch of problems trying to order prototype PCB's with assembly. The thing with assembly is that it's very expensive at small quantities, which prototyping tends to be in.  Instead, Vinicius changed the design to use 0805 SMD components instead and the non-QFN version of the Atmel processor which would allow me to assemble the PCB myself. This time the order is concrete so you won't be seeing another update saying we ordered the PCB prototypes ;D They should get here within a week.

Plates:
As I said above, I ordered the final version of the plate in various colors and finishes. Those should be here in about a week as well.

Cases:
The final touches are being made to the case. We can source the cases locally through machine shops so the case will be here within 3 or 4 days of the files being finalized.

A few other things:
I talked with Sprit and we agreed to make gold stabilizers a default on the board as well as give you the chance to buy some gold springs. Cherry switches will also be able to be purchased for 50 cents a switch with the TK78 kit.
I ordered the LED's, PCB components, Gaterons, and other parts for the final prototype. The base firmware is steadily being worked on and should be ready soon.

Prototype will be made within a week or two and the Group Buy will commence soon after

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 16:55:39 »
Components for Prototype PCB arrived!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 01:36:05 »
Components for Prototype PCB arrived!

Show Image

Show Image

Looking forward to see how everything goes together.

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 04:03:59 »
Plates have been anodized! They'll arrive by Monday.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 08:26:21 »
What kind of anodizing options are we getting? This is exciting stuff!

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 09:41:43 »
For the prototypes we will have gunmetal gray and turquoise, don't know about production run.

Offline Seranite

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 25 July 2015, 12:33:34 »
For the prototypes we will have gunmetal gray and turquoise, don't know about production run.

Two of my favorite colors  :eek:

If either of those make it in to the production run I'm going to have a hard time choosing.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 04:06:00 »

Two of my favorite colors  :eek:

If either of those make it in to the production run I'm going to have a hard time choosing.

Me too.

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 14:12:08 »
PCB's and plates have both shipped. DHL says they'll be here Wednesday.

Case is about to be milled.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 12:46:40 »
I've finished the firmware some days ago, but can only be sure that it works when the prototype is assembled and the firmware flashed.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 17:12:13 »
I've finished the firmware some days ago, but can only be sure that it works when the prototype is assembled and the firmware flashed.

Looking forward to hear about that. :)

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 13:34:43 »
Just wanted to mention my interest in this board. It sounds like an ideal work board for me. Only thing that would make it better would be if a "delete" key was accessible without hitting an Fn key as well. I'd love to have a smaller keyboard with a number pad though.

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 13:41:48 »
Just wanted to mention my interest in this board. It sounds like an ideal work board for me. Only thing that would make it better would be if a "delete" key was accessible without hitting an Fn key as well. I'd love to have a smaller keyboard with a number pad though.
We will be using TMK as the firmware and releasing the source code for this keyboard, so you are free to add a Delete key for yourself. :)

Offline mbrown559

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 14:57:06 »
Definitely interested if we can get a left number pad version

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 14:57:37 »
It's coming later

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 16:41:16 »
It's coming later
The PCB design for the left side numpad version is finished, by the way. ;)

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 17:06:35 »
It's coming later
The PCB design for the left side numpad version is finished, by the way. ;)

Jesus that PCB must look crazy, sooo many switch modules in such a small area.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 08:08:14 »
We will be using TMK as the firmware and releasing the source code for this keyboard, so you are free to add a Delete key for yourself. :)

I'm not super great with this sort of stuff, but sounds great! This could be my ideal work keyboard! I'm excited.

Thanks!  :D

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 08:19:30 »
I'm not super great with this sort of stuff, but sounds great! This could be my ideal work keyboard! I'm excited.

You and about 95% of mechanical keyboard enthusiasts. We are looking for an easy way to allow people to reprogram their keyboards, as editing source code isn't exactly an option for the majority. So far I have found an online source generator for other keyboards, would need someone to make a version for the TK78.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 13:07:18 »

You and about 95% of mechanical keyboard enthusiasts. We are looking for an easy way to allow people to reprogram their keyboards, as editing source code isn't exactly an option for the majority. So far I have found an online source generator for other keyboards, would need someone to make a version for the TK78.

Just after reading threads, it sounds like everyone can program and code except me. Good to know I'm not alone.

Thanks so much for putting so much work into this board and its functions. I'm drooling over the idea of saving desk space, without losing any functionality or productivity.  :p

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 19:30:34 »
PCB's and plates arrived!

https://imgur.com/a/6MxRD

I linked to imgur because that many embedded images would lag the page.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 00:44:42 »
They look great from here. Are you happy with them?

Offline mbrown559

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 12:48:47 »
PCB's and plates arrived!

https://imgur.com/a/6MxRD

I linked to imgur because that many embedded images would lag the page.

It sounds like the left number pad PCB has been created.  Should we anticipate the left number pad version available in the first buy or at a later date?

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 13:00:10 »
It sounds like the left number pad PCB has been created.  Should we anticipate the left number pad version available in the first buy or at a later date?
I really don't know. At the moment we are debugging the prototype, both hardware and firmware. I already have a list of changes that must be done.

Offline mbrown559

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 13:31:29 »
I really don't know. At the moment we are debugging the prototype, both hardware and firmware. I already have a list of changes that must be done.

Awesome, Thank you for the update and for all the hardwork on this project :).  Can't wait to see the final version.

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 14:04:20 »

Also, another exciting update. Since anodizing is so cheap from the manufacturer, the case and plate will have numerous colors available. You can also mix and choose. For example, a black case with a red plate, etc.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 15:09:44 »
Hey could you put a keycap set on just to see the overrall look? :)

Offline lolpes

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 15:17:27 »
Also, what happened here? :/

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 15:24:04 »
Also, what happened here? :/

Show Image

Remember: this is a prototype. We are debugging the board, this kind of patch is common at this phase.

Offline lolpes

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 17:14:38 »
No prob ;) Happened to me before for bad sodering job :/

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 17:24:28 »
Show Image

Also, another exciting update. Since anodizing is so cheap from the manufacturer, the case and plate will have numerous colors available. You can also mix and choose. For example, a black case with a red plate, etc.

REally cool news! Are we still close to the price tag given in the OP or higher/lower?

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 18:54:48 »

This just keeps getting better.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 19:08:16 »
numpad on the left....
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 19:54:44 »
numpad on the left....

That would be the TK78-L (L indicating left hand  :p) which will launch on massdrop in the future.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 01:33:47 »
Oh wow I really want this. If you can keep it in the ~$250 range, I'm totally in.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.