Author Topic: Looking for a new Cherry MX Red TKL  (Read 2171 times)

Offline morpheus

Looking for a new Cherry MX Red TKL
« on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 07:44:47 »
I'm planning to get a Red just to round out my collection.

Ideally, I want to get a board that has full compatibility with my QFR and HPE 87 keycaps, and costs less than $100.

So Red owners, which ones have you used and liked?
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 07:48:31 by morpheus »

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
Re: Looking for a new Cherry MX Red TKL
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 08:28:49 »
Have you had a chance to check out CM's new stealth line?  I would imagine the keycaps are compatible with the keyboards you mentioned.  I don't own one myself yet, but I am too looking to venture back to the red mx switch and this was the board I had my eye on.  I was also contemplating getting one of the new KBC poker's in a red switch, but i'm not sure if i'm ready for a 60% keyboard.  :-\

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-stealth-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline morpheus

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 09:41:35 »
Have you had a chance to check out CM's new stealth line?  I would imagine the keycaps are compatible with the keyboards you mentioned.  I don't own one myself yet, but I am too looking to venture back to the red mx switch and this was the board I had my eye on.  I was also contemplating getting one of the new KBC poker's in a red switch, but i'm not sure if i'm ready for a 60% keyboard.  :-\

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-stealth-mechanical-gaming-keyboard/

Nice. I've contemplated getting a ninja style keyboard, but I dunno if I'd stick with it for a long time. I'd probably change the keycaps after the novelty wears off. Regardless, it does look pretty slick and the price is point is good. The only thing is, I already have a QFR, and I'd like to add a different brand to my collection which is on my sig.

Oh and another thing is, it has to have a metal plate, so that would eliminate Choc Minis/Pure/Race/Pokers.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:19:28 »
Keycool 87.   Plate mounted (basically a knockoff Leopold combo of 200 and 700). 

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33398.0
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:21:49 »
Poker 2s or custom Poker X's have plates. I really love my Poker 2 with Reds.

Offline elttaboi

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:43:21 »
get a poker 2. It comes with nice thick keycaps.
I like that reds are very quiet, but I sometimes accidentally press keys while gaming.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 13:50:51 »
Ok, I'm gonna decide between CM QFR and HPE 87, since they seem to be the best of the under $100 lot.

Question:

Anybody have any experience with the CM QFR Reds? Is the build quality good? Are they better than the HPE 87 and others?

thx

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 14:29:52 »
Ok, I'm gonna decide between CM QFR and HPE 87, since they seem to be the best of the under $100 lot.

Question:

Anybody have any experience with the CM QFR Reds? Is the build quality good? Are they better than the HPE 87 and others?

thx

I'm a long-time lurker who registered recently, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I grabbed a CM QFR Red and love it. I also own a DAS S, Ducky Shine (browns) and had an X-Armor U9BL-S and 6gv2 in the past. Unfortunately, the first one I got was DOA with the well-known p+left alt defect, but the second one has been working solid for a few months now. Build quality is fantastic, and from what I recall the board is made by the same OEM that makes FILCO boards, so you'll find the quality of the QFR far exceeds the TK and Vanilla board. I can't comment on the keycaps other than to say the font is atrocious; I picked up a blank set from WASD the day I bought the board. Other than that, I'd advise looking for the revised de-badged version as the original release looks too "fatal1ty" to me. The reds took some getting used to, and I had to put o-rings on it cause I bottom out while gaming, but I don't think I'd go back to browns or blacks now.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 14:33:17 by Dyslexic »
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline morpheus

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 04:06:52 »
Just got myself a new CM QFR Red. I couldn't resist the price at $86 shipped new. Cost about $15 more than my CM QFR Blue, which I guess makes sense since Red switches are not as popular.

I think I have enough boards now to last me a lifetime.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2013, 07:40:01 by morpheus »

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 07:10:30 »
hmmm wish I saw ur thread earlier, got mein from a member that sells them for 60 shipped nib.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline morpheus

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 10:40:38 »
hmmm wish I saw ur thread earlier, got mein from a member that sells them for 60 shipped nib.

Seriously? How is that possible?

Offline morpheus

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 10:48:20 »

Question:

thx

I'm a long-time lurker who registered recently, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I grabbed a CM QFR Red and love it. I also own a DAS S, Ducky Shine (browns) and had an X-Armor U9BL-S and 6gv2 in the past. Unfortunately, the first one I got was DOA with the well-known p+left alt defect, but the second one has been working solid for a few months now. Build quality is fantastic, and from what I recall the board is made by the same OEM that makes FILCO boards, so you'll find the quality of the QFR far exceeds the TK and Vanilla board. I can't comment on the keycaps other than to say the font is atrocious; I picked up a blank set from WASD the day I bought the board. Other than that, I'd advise looking for the revised de-badged version as the original release looks too "fatal1ty" to me. The reds took some getting used to, and I had to put o-rings on it cause I bottom out while gaming, but I don't think I'd go back to browns or blacks now.

Yeah, I also don't like the font, which is why I'm thinking of replacing them with some sweet PBT's.

Now the question is which PBT's are good and where can I find them?

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 11:33:19 »

Seriously? How is that possible?
he works for cm

Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?