Author Topic: Old Costar keyboard.  (Read 3372 times)

Offline asdfghjkl

• meow~∆
    • Music~
Old Costar keyboard.
« on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 23:21:52 »
I recently was given an old costar keyboard but I don't know if it works at all.

Here's some pics

It's a/x switch is broken and I don't have any dim to PS/2 adapters.
What would be the first thing to do so I can find out if it works?

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Re: Old Costar keyboard.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 01:18:13 »
Be delicate.  Omron switches are pretty rare, so they might be desirable for someone who just wants to try them,

Possibility-- you could jumper where the AT/XT switch was to be permanently in AT position, assuning you're running on a 286 or higher.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 02:52:11 »
Be delicate.  Omron switches are pretty rare, so they might be desirable for someone who just wants to try them,

Possibility-- you could jumper where the AT/XT switch was to be permanently in AT position, assuning you're running on a 286 or higher.

You can jumper the XT/AT switch with a wire easily. If you get me some shots of the PCB I can tell you exactly how to do it, too. The switch in most implementations switches between firmware loads, by connecting two different pins on the controller.

Unfortunately, I have some serious concerns about the plate - that bubbling is rust. Very, very bad rust. Right at the stabilizer area, too. And rust repair would require completely disassembling right down to a full desolder, plus you're going to need to bathe the PCB, plus sand and repaint the plate. Which may not be sufficient depending how deep the rot goes - if it's just surface rust, POR-15 does the job fine. If it's deeper through, that means having to replace the whole plate. The whole thing. You must replace all the rusted screws, but that's the easy part - they're just standard screws you can get at Home Depot.

And oh gods yes, be very careful with the switches. They are extremely rare and basically impossible to replace.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline asdfghjkl

• meow~∆
    • Music~
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 04:57:15 »

You can jumper the XT/AT switch with a wire easily. If you get me some shots of the PCB I can tell you exactly how to do it, too. The switch in most implementations switches between firmware loads, by connecting two different pins on the controller.

Unfortunately, I have some serious concerns about the plate - that bubbling is rust. Very, very bad rust. Right at the stabilizer area, too. And rust repair would require completely disassembling right down to a full desolder, plus you're going to need to bathe the PCB, plus sand and repaint the plate. Which may not be sufficient depending how deep the rot goes - if it's just surface rust, POR-15 does the job fine. If it's deeper through, that means having to replace the whole plate. The whole thing. You must replace all the rusted screws, but that's the easy part - they're just standard screws you can get at Home Depot.

And oh gods yes, be very careful with the switches. They are extremely rare and basically impossible to replace.

Its surface rust thankfuly, I'm going to try putting power through it soon.

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 05:13:04 »
I didn't know Omron switches for keyboards existed... I only knew about the microswitches found in mice.

What do they feel like? :cool:

Offline asdfghjkl

• meow~∆
    • Music~
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 05:21:12 »
I didn't know Omron switches for keyboards existed... I only knew about the microswitches found in mice.

What do they feel like? :cool:

There very tactile and quite loud

Offline asdfghjkl

• meow~∆
    • Music~
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 05:29:03 »
24913-0
It surface rust but is quite allot

24915-1
The 2 wires from the at/xt switch

Offline asdfghjkl

• meow~∆
    • Music~
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 04:59:58 »
25194-0

OK caps lock, scroll lock and number lock all work with 5v power input that's a good sign

Time to start fixing the rust and yellowing
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 05:01:30 by asdfghjkl »

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 14:05:14 »
Yep, that's the controller style I was expecting - XT/AT is a firmware load switch. You just need to determine which side is the OPEN one. The XT position is probably the open (No Connection) position and AT is likely closed. But you need to test. Which yes, literally consists of connecting the wires together. Just make sure it's a solid connection (butt joint or terminal screw) because "flipping the switch" while the controller's hot can fry the controller.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline asdfghjkl

• meow~∆
    • Music~
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 16:16:42 »
Xt is open at is closed