Author Topic: Keycool 87 Replacement Spacebar.  (Read 1873 times)

Offline ParrotAttack

Keycool 87 Replacement Spacebar.
« on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:08:35 »
Hey,

I have searched through this forum, as well as other well regarded keyboard communities and have found convicting views on the KeyCool 87 Spacebar.

Some people suggest that it's hard to replace, while other's say the new SP universal spacebar will fit fine and other posts also suggest that it's all changed and now even filco spacebars will fit.

I was just wondering if anyone has bought one recently, from either taobao or qtan and could clarify which spacebar is correct.

Parrot.

Offline dante

Re: Keycool 87 Replacement Spacebar.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:16:55 »
I don't have a definitive but the 'universal' space bar from SP should work with the Leopold FC200R.  The one on the Keycool (I believe) is only compatible with the Leopold FC500R/FC700R.

qtan should be able to nab you replacement space bars for not a whole lot of money in a variety of colors that will work with your Keycool.

Offline fuzzyx3000

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:19:50 »
From what I've seen, the more recent keycools have adopted the common spacebars like you said (filco/qfr/etc.) whereas the older models (I have one of these that I bought last year) had stems like the leopold fc200r. The universal spacebar should be able to fit both
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:22:31 by fuzzyx3000 »

Offline ParrotAttack

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 13:24:32 »
@ Dante, thanks for that then, do most group buys using SP come with these space bars then?

@ fuzzy, yeah dude, that's the information I seem to be getting from the more recent posts, I remember seeing a post on here with pics showing a filco space bar next to a keycool one and them being the same, was just hoping to clarify that is the norm now, and people aren't still getting leopord style ones.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 23:14:44 »
I got a KeyCool 87 (white case, MX reds) from qtan about 2 weeks ago.

See here for some pictures of the space bar, compared to a Filco space bar on a QFR.

The space bars are completely interchangeable, and in fact I did so (temporarily).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ParrotAttack

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 03:42:59 »
@ Rowdy, Thanks dude, that's just the information I was after :) (it might even be your post i referred to in the OP)...

Do you mind asking how much it cost with shipping etc.? I've messaged QTan but i guess he is a really busy guy

Parrot.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 03:59:00 »
$72 for the keyboard and $22 postage to Australia = total $94.

Took less than two weeks to arrive IIRC.

If you want one from qtan, get in quickly as he is going on vacation from 22nd to 26th June, and his last shipping day is 21st.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 10:17:51 »
hard to gauge with keycool.  They started out with cherry stabs and incompatible space bars.  Then they went costar / incompatible.  Now it looks like a product mix of costar/cherry w/ universal space bars.