Author Topic: Why keyboards are different than these...?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
Why keyboards are different than these...?
« on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 14:02:18 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOMENS-SINFUL-BY-AFFLICTION-MEDIUM-SIZE-SWIMSUIT-YELLOW-REVERE-W-RHINESTONES-/130928451454?pt=US_CSA_WC_Swimwear&hash=item1e7bf19f7e

When people (human? humans? humen?) are used to and expect everything to be made for them according to their body shape why in hell do we have keyboards made for robots? Anybody knows why do we have this affliction to expect NO change in the keyboards? Is this a kink in human psychology or the big box evil corporations have got us in a bind?

Checkout the number of bids... Why do we buy used clothing while we yuk at used keyboard and mouse?

Anyway, was searching for a lousy seller's feedback and hit upon this over a Saturday morning coffee.

Thoughts?
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline Lighthouse1

Re: Why keyboards are different than these...?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 14:06:55 »
I mostly think don't buy someone else's pants.

I am not sure that the only bids on this sort of thing are from people who want to wear it..check out used trainers if you want to take a view of humanity at a questionable level.

I am not sure there is an underground attraction to used mice in quite the same way.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 14:13:55 »
Because the expectation is that keyboards should be universal and used/usable by the majority rather than tailored to one individual.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline jabar

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 15:41:29 »
Keyboards are an afterthought. The vast majority of keyboard sales go to users who ultimately don't care (or know to care) about quality switches, ergonomics. If I said I paid more than $50 for a keyboard most people would call that insane.

Since that is the overwhelming attitude towards keyboards, having a universal standard satisfies the demand.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline Jack Karneval

• I'm gunna pop some keys, only got $20 in my pocket
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 16:06:12 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOMENS-SINFUL-BY-AFFLICTION-MEDIUM-SIZE-SWIMSUIT-YELLOW-REVERE-W-RHINESTONES-/130928451454?pt=US_CSA_WC_Swimwear&hash=item1e7bf19f7e

When people (human? humans? humen?) are used to and expect everything to be made for them according to their body shape why in hell do we have keyboards made for robots? Anybody knows why do we have this affliction to expect NO change in the keyboards? Is this a kink in human psychology or the big box evil corporations have got us in a bind?

Checkout the number of bids... Why do we buy used clothing while we yuk at used keyboard and mouse?

Anyway, was searching for a lousy seller's feedback and hit upon this over a Saturday morning coffee.

Thoughts?

I had to read this quite a few times to try and understand your point, but now I see what you're talking about. Part of it, and this is just totally opinion here, is that computers have only become available to the vast majority of people easily in the past 15-20 years. Clothing however, has been around since, well, a bloody long time lets put it that way so it stands to reason that the need for clothing fitted to our own personal form is far more engrained in our psyche than it is to have our keyboards tailored to our own personal tastes.

Also, consider too, that to a vast majority of people, a computer is just a tool. Those people are not interested in the finer details of how a computer or an electronic device works, they just expect it to work. However, for us, our own personal computers are much more than that, so it's to be expected that we would want to enhance the experience of using our computers in any way possible, and pretty much all of the experience of interfacing with a computer involves the use of a keyboard and mouse.

Anyway, that's my take on it.
: CM Storm Trigger (MX Green) : KBT Pure Pro (MX Blue) :

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 19:35:04 »
Why do we buy used clothing while we yuk at used keyboard and mouse?
Same reason why Japanese men buy used knickers?  :-X

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 19:45:20 »
Because even when it comes to ergonomic keyboards,  there is no one size fits all. The regular keyboard shape is kind of neutral I guess. I have had some ergonomic rubber dome keyboards that I liked, however, if I had to use one shape to use generally, I would go with the plain old rectangle.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0