Author Topic: Looking for mechanical keyboard ...  (Read 1996 times)

Offline yuri

Looking for mechanical keyboard ...
« on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:20:11 »
Guys,

I am looking for next keyboard for myself. Little bit of background. I am going to use it for general purpose at computer, typing, programming, browsing, you know, usual stuff, NO games and other specials. I strongly prefer standard US layout, would be nice to have "Windows" keys, but I guess I will not find one in vintage category. I use good rubber dome KB Dell QuietKey at work (silent, do not disturb people around) with good result. At home I used another Dell AT101W, I liked it but want true clicky one. For now I use old classic IBM KB (I believe M?) which is buckle spring ... Very satisfying, but one thing bothers is sound. Not because it loud, but that singing spring/metal unison after click. I used to it but still... Besides we are KB fans and need more choices in our possession, right? ;-) Well, on recent deal at Monoprice I bought their MX-blue. I thought (from what I read about blues) I will like it quite a bit, but to my surprise I do NOT! First, it is cheaply made, and on unpacking it I found that couple keys on numeric portion  were semi set, so I need set them properly and it was fine. But "Y" key was sticky sometime, so I RMAed it. Quality aside, I can pick up "blue" in better quality, but I did not like how light pressure they take to be actuated.
Thus, again back to looking for next one. What I gathered so far, most of modern mechanicals have cherry keyswitches. I have a filling that I will not like them and thinking about hunting for vintage. I liked my AT101W, so I think about old complicated white ALPS switches. I just discovered that vintage Focus KBs had them, though from what I saw they do not come in standard US layuot, or do they? Anything other thoughts/suggestions?
BTW, if anybody has what I need working KB, I would buy.

EDIT: I use PC running MS Windows.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
Re: Looking for mechanical keyboard ...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:26:35 »
If you are not into gaming, in my opinion a Keyboard with Brown switches is your best bet.

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,fullsize&pid=fc500rtab

For 100$ that's a great deal IMO.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:37:17 »
Doing a dental floss modification will take the higher resonances out of the spring sound, without changing the action very much.

Also, setting the keyboard on a soft rubbery mat will tone down some of the noise.

Most of us agree that the high-pitched sound of MX blue is much more annoying than buckling springs. You may like MX brown a lot.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:37:43 »
If you are not into gaming, in my opinion a Keyboard with Brown switches is your best bet.

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,fullsize&pid=fc500rtab

For 100$ that's a great deal IMO.
That sounds nothing like what he wants. He mentioned not minding the volume and wanting something heavier than blue. I would go with green or white if you want a clicky heavy cherry switch.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:39:37 »
Doing a dental floss modification will take the higher resonances out of the spring sound, without changing the action very much.

Also, setting the keyboard on a soft rubbery mat will tone down some of the noise.

Most of us agree that the high-pitched sound of MX blue is much more annoying than buckling springs. You may like MX brown a lot.
If any tactile non clicky switch, clear or grey. If you didn't like how light blues are be warned browns are the same there.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:44:32 »
Cherry MX Blues sing the song progress. My favorite Cherry switch.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Jack Karneval

• I'm gunna pop some keys, only got $20 in my pocket
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:49:44 »
Bah! Go right for the heavyweights, get a board with Cherry MX Greens! You said weren't fond of how light MX Blues were, so this might be perfect for you!

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=467
: CM Storm Trigger (MX Green) : KBT Pure Pro (MX Blue) :

Offline yuri

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:53:21 »
I hear you guys. I have a feeling that once I did not like MX-Blue, I will not like other cherries. Some of them silent, other non-tactile etc. What I want is clicky, tactile and do not mind at all loud keyboard sound, I even prefer it. Besides I more inclined to vintage, may be some nostalgia about old times from my  computing career. Unfortunately, the information about vintage stuff is pretty scattered and sometimes hard to find, that is why I ask fr advise here.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:54:38 »
I am a little biased, but if you want a heavy clicky, but not annoying, switch white may be the way to go. Less sharp than blue/green and doesn't have the buckling spring ring either.

That or the flossmod on a m or f. Perhaps alps, but I know nothing of them.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 12:56:34 »
For Cherry clicky switches, I would say try Greens and Whites if you don't like Blues.

If you like IBM and buckling spring switches, try an AT F. I would say that the capacitive buckling spring switch is my favorite clicky switch overall.

Offline yuri

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 13:16:01 »
OK, I might try Greens. Unfortunately, they are pretty sparse. The one linked above is OOS, I found Cooler Master, but it has extra column of key on left, which I am not fond of.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 13:28:19 »
OK, I might try Greens. Unfortunately, they are pretty sparse. The one linked above is OOS, I found Cooler Master, but it has extra column of key on left, which I am not fond of.
The trigger has the extra column, check out the cm qfr. It may be out of stock, but you can still order one on amazon and get one as soon as they come back.

Offline yuri

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 13:56:40 »
Rrrright, Rapid does not have extra column, though it does not have numeric pad either!
I'd be glad to get Pro, but it looks they do not do it with Greens.
There is only Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version, so far.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 13:58:30 by yuri »

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 14:01:40 »
Rrrright, Rapid does not have extra column, though it does not have numeric pad either!
I'd be glad to get Pro, but it looks they do not do it with Greens.
Ah, numpad kinda guy I guess.
They are releasing a full size board fairly soon (or at least they've announced one) that will probably come in green.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 14:51:11 »
Like everyone said, I think MX Green in a cherry board, or a Unicomp with floss mod (whenever they restock). makes the most sense to me if you like the tactile, heavier key feel as I do.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 14:51:41 »
double

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:00:45 »
Like everyone said, I think MX Green in a cherry board, or a Unicomp with floss mod (whenever they restock). makes the most sense to me if you like the tactile, heavier key feel as I do.

What is a "floss mod" if ya don't mind me askin?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:04:44 »
Floss mod. Haven't done it myself yet, but one day when I get a Unicomp I'll give it a whirl.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:19:04 »
Floss mod. Haven't done it myself yet, but one day when I get a Unicomp I'll give it a whirl.

This mod is slightly less satisfying on the Model M than the Model F, probably because the M is mostly plastic already, and the attenuation happens at a frequency more pronounced on the F.

Looking at the photo here, you see the floss sticking out the top of the spring. I recommend against this. I often had trouble even getting the stem to seat properly with this much protrusion.

Differing increments of floss length make a big difference. I think that the floss should occupy 80%-90% of the height of the spring. If the floss fills less than half the height of the spring, it hardly does anything. Remember, the spring buckles near its midpoint, so if gravity pulls the floss to the bottom, you don't want it bunched up in the wrong place.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Jack Karneval

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 15:36:41 »
Huh, interesting.... dat ingenuity  ^-^