Author Topic: Alternative to CM TK (arrowkeyless Cherry Blue)  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Hubbert

Alternative to CM TK (arrowkeyless Cherry Blue)
« on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 13:43:52 »
Does anyone else make a Cherry Blue keyboard like the CM TK but cheaper?  I don't care about backlighting.
Current: ThinkPad, Modified Model M, Customozed Unicomp on order.
Occasional: Acer (rubber with sharp edged keycaps)
Storage: Kinesis Advantage (Cherry brown), PC Concepts split keyboard (ALPS white)
Scorpius M10 (Cherry blue)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Alternative to CM TK (arrowkeyless Cherry Blue)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 13:47:28 »
Not cheaper

Offline Hubbert

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 14:02:58 »
Well how about "within the same price range".  I looked at the Thermaltake and don't like it's giant Enter key.
Storage: Kinesis Advantage (Cherry brown), PC Concepts split keyboard (ALPS white)

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 14:03:53 »
Well how about "within the same price range".  I looked at the Thermaltake and don't like it's giant Enter key.
Is there a certain feature you dislike about it, the CM one?
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Hubbert

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 14:18:33 »
Good question; now that I see that the backlights can be disabled, I guess the issue is the arrangement on the bottom row: the Alt key should be more inboard and I don't like the Fn key there: is it possible to read that scan code and do something else with it?

Does it use a traditional printed circuit board?  If so, I suppose I could just rewire it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 October 2014, 14:20:44 by Hubbert »

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 17:01:35 »
Good question; now that I see that the backlights can be disabled, I guess the issue is the arrangement on the bottom row: the Alt key should be more inboard and I don't like the Fn key there: is it possible to read that scan code and do something else with it?

Does it use a traditional printed circuit board?  If so, I suppose I could just rewire it.

Every MX board uses a PCB lol.. Autohotkey is your friend.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 17:12:56 »
fn doesn't have a scancode, so AHK does nothing

is there any reason you want a TK over something fullsize?

QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline RED-404

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 17:33:17 »

No, not every MX board uses a PCB ppl make them all the time without a PCB. Hell, if you're a novice at soldering its arguably a little easier to solder a freehand matrix without having to worry about overheating PCB traces.

Offline Premonition

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 17:51:28 »

No, not every MX board uses a PCB ppl make them all the time without a PCB. Hell, if you're a novice at soldering its arguably a little easier to solder a freehand matrix without having to worry about overheating PCB traces.

Are there any OEM boards without a PCB? That seems interesting.

Offline RED-404

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 18:07:19 »
No, wouldn't be cost effective when you can just pick and place, then wave solder or reflow a PCB.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 October 2014, 18:10:12 by RED-404 »

Offline Hubbert

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 02:11:41 »
fn doesn't have a scancode, so AHK does nothing

is there any reason you want a TK over something fullsize?

a) I think that you are likely correct: I would expect the Fn to be intercepted by the keyboard firmware.   I'm kind of a pro at AutoHotKey; it's on my resume.

b) Yes: I don't use the arrow keys, and my varidesk keyboard section is very narrow.  Even without that constraint, my long-term goal is to have a keyboard (other than a laptop) where the tenkey  directly adjoins the main section, both to keep the trackball closer and for overall symmetry.

On a Unicomp 104 I'm using, I'm experimenting with putting the trackball on books so that it's just above the F9-F12 cluster.  Unfortunately I used books are slippery covers, but I think the idea is generally sound.

c) I went ahead and ordered one.  Office Depot has them for around $80, which is far more reasonable than Amazon's $160.

PS: I need to update my signature.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 October 2014, 02:14:54 by Hubbert »