Author Topic: Wooting One Customizable?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline 10centNickle

Wooting One Customizable?
« on: Sun, 14 March 2021, 23:41:53 »
Would it be feasible to replace the case, stabs, plate, and keycaps on a Wooting One?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Wooting One Customizable?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 00:30:22 »
Cases are typically a per keyboard item, meaning they only fit one model.
The only standardized size and mounting layout tends to be the 60% and that's a quirk.

Stabs, yes, however you need to stay within families, plate or pcb and Cherry or Costar. On the spacebar it also needs to match the size. Trying to switch between these variables will require modding the plate or pcb. This uses plate mount Cherry style and of a standard size (best I can tell), so finding replacements should be easy. Changing them will require you to remove the switch but they're apparently hot swap so no big deal.

Keycaps are MX compatible, however you need to make sure the bottom row and right shift matches, those are the two most troublesome spots. It looks like they use common cap sizes so most sets will fit, just avoid anything made for Razer and you should be fine.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

Re: Wooting One Customizable?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 05:09:11 »
The Wooting One plate is part of the case. I think it would be hard to find replacement plates that would fit the switches and PCB.

Each switch's mounting hole is similar to the square hole for Cherry MX but with an additional notch for a tab in the switch so that it can be mounted only in the right orientation. You can see them here.
There are some plates with extra wide switch holes, so as to accommodate both Cherry MX and Alps, and I think those holes might work.
But while the key spacing is standard, I'm not sure about the spacing between key groups.
I could measure them for you on my Wooting One if that is important for you.