Author Topic: More on painted keys paint for keys.  (Read 3733 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
More on painted keys paint for keys.
« on: Tue, 18 March 2008, 04:46:49 »
Since my Filco rules over the Scorpius M10 I bought, I fear I won't end up using it too often, so I started a little painting project with it. I went to Home Depot and bought some special plastic paint and gave the 'board a couple coats. After it dried I tried to chip off the paint to no avail. This finish looks like it may be very good. I'll fill all y'all in later on all the details later.

The thing about this keyboard as a project board is that the characters on the keys are raised so after they're painted, the markings are still visible, sort of like my HHKB Pro 2.

Offline zerogravitas

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 March 2008, 18:04:44 »
When do we get to see pics? :)

Offline IBI

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 March 2008, 20:27:12 »
Quote from: zerogravitas;3690
When do we get to see pics? :)

And just what colour did you paint it?
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 March 2008, 21:27:31 »
In due time, friends, in due time.

Offline Bluemercury

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 March 2008, 14:04:00 »
you prefer the brown switches to the blue ones? I've never tried the brown ones, so i assume you prefer less clicky???
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 March 2008, 14:53:41 »
Quote from: Bluemercury;3729
you prefer the brown switches to the blue ones? I've never tried the brown ones, so i assume you prefer less clicky???

Before I got the Filco I was all about the clicky keyboards, actually. I loved the Alps, but I realized with the browns and the HHKB pro 2 that the noise isn't that important to me. But this thread is about a mod I'd doing to a Cherry blue switch havin' keyboard, so that means I plan to log some time in on it.

The Paint I bought is taking,like, 2 days to dry, but the finish is holding strong. I'm down to touch-ups so I'll post pics on Friday. The thing I loke about this 'board for a paonting project is that the letters are raised so they are still visible and the keys look like those on the KBTalking keyboard.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 March 2008, 11:30:51 »
Bad news Geekhackers. A pipe in my basement sprung a leak last night and dumped something on my freshly-painted M10, so god knows if it'll ever work again (or what exactly was in said pipe, as it didn't smell the best) so oh well. My color scheme is black keys with a red case, and while it does look good, there is something I don't like about it. Due to the gross-out factor, I think I'm jsut going to throw it away.

I'll post pictures of the paint cans latter today after god is done ****ting in my Cheerio's.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 March 2008, 11:43:35 »
If you, indeed, intend to throw it away, I'll take it in lieu of the landfill.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 March 2008, 12:30:50 »
Alright, I'll keep that in mind.

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 March 2008, 14:11:38 »
it shouldnt be damaged as long as you dont plug it in while it's still wet.  just give it a nice alcohol bath and everything should be fine.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 March 2008, 23:38:14 »
That pipe was a nasty one, bet you can't guess which one it was. Thank god I rent.

I think this is a sign that I need to give up on this keyboard thing. Everything I've spent my money on in the past few months turned out to be a waste with the single exception of the Filco. I think it's time for me to hang up this little keyboard quest and stick with what I have and know and love.

Later.

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 22 March 2008, 03:03:24 »
Quote from: xsphat;3750
Everything I've spent my money on in the past few months turned out to be a waste with the single exception of the Filco. I think it's time for me to hang up this little keyboard quest and stick with what I have and know and love.

Later.

I hope this excludes and the hhkb pro. One dead hhkb would make me sad at so many levels.

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 22 March 2008, 03:42:45 »
Quote from: xsphat;3750
That pipe was a nasty one, bet you can't guess which one it was. Thank god I rent.

I think this is a sign that I need to give up on this keyboard thing. Everything I've spent my money on in the past few months turned out to be a waste with the single exception of the Filco. I think it's time for me to hang up this little keyboard quest and stick with what I have and know and love.

Later.

Does that mean that the quest is over?  Are you leaving us?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 22 March 2008, 12:31:14 »
Here's the paint I used:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=118

Give it a day or two to dry or it'll F up on you.