Author Topic: Hi guys!  (Read 4133 times)

Offline jemkeys

Hi guys!
« on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 00:56:48 »
Hey, I was browsing the forum for awhile and finally bought a HHK Pro2 off BeNippon.  I got it a few days ago and I'm LOVING IT!

My only problem is that now I find myself constantly looking for things to type... :(

lol

I got the Charcoal Black model with no lettering on the keys.  (PD-KB400BN)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Hi guys!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 01:35:32 »
Hey there, congrats on your purchase? I'm typing on my HHKB Pro 2 right now. is this your first mechanical or do you have others?

Offline sashomasho

Hi guys!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 01:52:31 »
Quote from: jemkeys;4021
Congratulations, I hope you are satisfied...

My only problem is that now I find myself constantly looking for things to type... :(
After almost two months with my hhkb pro i'm still constantly getting the mood to type something, anything, just to feel my precious :)

p.s. i'm a programmer, and writing code isn't satisfying enough (too many broken fragments and page navigation), while writing something in human readable format is a real pleasure...)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Hi guys!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 02:42:25 »
Sashomasho, why don't you write some fiction? A short story or an article? It's not that much harder to structure a novel than it is a to tell a joke.

Offline djones

Hi guys!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 02:44:52 »
I'm thinking about the happy hacking pro2 as well... what made you buy from beNippon (as opposed to buying straight from the manufacturer)? how long did shipping take?

Offline jemkeys

Hi guys!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 06:13:10 »
Quote from: xsphat;4022
Hey there, congrats on your purchase? I'm typing on my HHKB Pro 2 right now. is this your first mechanical or do you have others?

I don't have any other mechanical keyboards, but I have a Model M.

Quote from: djones;4025
I'm thinking about the happy hacking pro2 as well... what made you buy from beNippon (as opposed to buying straight from the manufacturer)? how long did shipping take?

I ordered from BeNippon because I don't speak or write Japanese, so ordering from the Japanese site was out of the question.  I emailed the US store, and apparently they only carry the original HHK pro, and then only in white.  While I suppose that would've been just as nice, I really felt an extra $20 for the color I wanted was worth it.  It's gotta match my setup ;).

The shipping (EMS) didn't take too long, but there was this whole fiasco with the local post office where they "lost" it - so it's hard for me to judge.  I ordered it on a Saturday, Benippon shipped it out on Tuesday or Wednesday, local post office got it Saturday, and I ended up having to pick it up after hundreds of calls - the following Saturday, lol.  Oh well, as long as I have it now ;).

Offline sashomasho

Hi guys!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 06:42:11 »
Quote from: xsphat;4024
Sashomasho, why don't you write some fiction? A short story or an article? It's not that much harder to structure a novel than it is a to tell a joke.

i have tried but got the idea that i'm not the man for this (although i've written many articles some years ago when i was one of the editors of an animated tv show), but i have tendencies for writing short-story-alike long letters to my closest friends (of course in my mother's language), so my keyboards are not used only for coding, which is still very important for me :)

Offline sashomasho

Hi guys!
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 06:52:50 »
Quote from: djones;4025

i got mine from crescent-shop.com, but probably i should have bought it from benippon, crescent gave me a better price (around $25 less), but they didn't want to put a lower value on the package,, and i had to pay about $45 to take it from the local customs. I don't mind giving what the law says, but it's just a keyboard, and it's ridiculous expensive without the stupid taxes... About speaking directly with the manufacturer -I had written to filco about filco-86E, and i know that my english is not very good but this is what i got from them:

"Dear Alex,
I'm sorry! It is not possible to sell it.
FKB-86E became out of stock in January. The following arrival of goods is undecided.
DIATEC Nakano",

as you can see - they are not very communicative :)

Offline jemkeys

Hi guys!
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 07:05:40 »
Wow, I didn't even know babelfish translated that badly, lol.

"The following arrival of goods is undecided"  <--  That could mean anything

Offline sashomasho

Hi guys!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 08:13:43 »
Quote from: jemkeys;4030
Wow, I didn't even know babelfish translated that badly, lol.

"The following arrival of goods is undecided"  <--  That could mean anything

This is not babelfish, this is them, speaking in english :) Of course it's possible that they use babelfish, but either way - it is not going to be easy dealing directly with them...

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Hi guys!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 11:45:14 »
Quote from: xsphat;4022
is this your first mechanical

A capacitive keyswitch is not mechanical.  :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Hi guys!
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 15:39:00 »
What is then, noncontact?

Offline jemkeys

Hi guys!
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 15:50:42 »
Can I take a key off to look under it?  Or is that gonna break it...?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Hi guys!
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 16:01:35 »
Yes you can. I was a little affraid at first because of the cost, so here is a pic of mine for you:

Offline jemkeys

Hi guys!
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 18:07:34 »
Oh, that's cool.  I guess I don't have to now.  Your picture has satisfied my curiosity ;).

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Hi guys!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 20:15:21 »
Look here to see what they really look like underneath.

Offline jemkeys

Hi guys!
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 20:53:09 »
Ah, the white one looks pretty cool too!

At first I thought the grey buttons on the white one where light blue.  

On second thought, that would look pretty cool if they were ;).

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Hi guys!
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 21:20:17 »
That is really interesting, I dig it. I'm glad you had the balls to take your's apart THAT far.

The Wikipedia page says capacitive switches are very common today, but I only know of the Topre line, this one and an older model by Fujitsu that use them. And it says they are cheap to make, and we all know what we paid for our HHKB Pros, so what gives?

Offline jemkeys

Hi guys!
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 21:59:22 »
I hacked a few Dreamcast pads to make arcade sticks, and I noticed the triggers registered with some kind of magnets that didn't contact.  Is this electrical capacitance?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Hi guys!
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 April 2008, 22:03:52 »
Sounds like a Hall effect switch.