Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 vs Topre Realforce  (Read 31803 times)

Offline rdjack21

HHKB Pro 2 vs Topre Realforce
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 01 May 2009, 15:03:56 »
Quote from: ozar;88531
After having both, the HHKB Pro 2 and the Realforce 87U keyboards for a while now, I've finally made a decision as to which I prefer for my own needs.

They both are certainly fantastic keyboards due to the Topre capacitive switches that are used in them, and for their overall build quality, but I personally slightly favor the HHKB Pro 2 over the Realforce 87U because of the smaller footprint, and because of the key layout that is used.  In the end, those two things matter the most to me since the switches themselves are the same.  That leaves the HHKB Pro 2 the winner.

Having said that, the Realforce 87U is the more solidly built of the two boards, so I'd be very reluctant to let either of them go up for sale or trade, as I'll probably be switching between the two of them for a very long time to come.  :cool:

I've really got to get myself a HHKB Pro so see if I like the layout as much as every one seems to love it. But for the time being I'm really enjoying both the 87U and 86U keyboards. And like you I do intend to keep the Realforce boards even if I love the HHKB layout. If for no other reason than they are one of the best built boards I have ever owned and I just love the feel of them.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline ozar

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 01 May 2009, 22:51:17 »
Quote from: rdjack21;88534
I've really got to get myself a HHKB Pro so see if I like the layout as much as every one seems to love it. But for the time being I'm really enjoying both the 87U and 86U keyboards. And like you I do intend to keep the Realforce boards even if I love the HHKB layout. If for no other reason than they are one of the best built boards I have ever owned and I just love the feel of them.
I like the feel of buckling spring boards really well, too, but most are too big for my tastes.  I'd sure like to find a buckling spring board with as small a footprint as the HHKB Pro 2, or even the Realforce 87/86U, but that doesn't seem to exist.  The mini M seems to be the closest, but I haven't snagged one of those yet.  I might get one the first time I can get a really good deal, but I'm hesitant to pay the big bucks for a NIB mini M board when it's going to come right out of the box as soon as it arrives.  I'm undecided what to do about it really, but in the interim, the Topre switch boards are a true joy to type on.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 01 May 2009, 23:41:58 »
Quote from: ozar;88613
I like the feel of buckling spring boards really well, too, but most are too big for my tastes.  I'd sure like to find a buckling spring board with as small a footprint as the HHKB Pro 2, or even the Realforce 87/86U, but that doesn't seem to exist.  The mini M seems to be the closest, but I haven't snagged one of those yet.  I might get one the first time I can get a really good deal, but I'm hesitant to pay the big bucks for a NIB mini M board when it's going to come right out of the box as soon as it arrives.  I'm undecided what to do about it really, but in the interim, the Topre switch boards are a true joy to type on.

I have one of the IBM Space savers that I have not decided weather or not I'm going to keep. One side of me wants to keep it well because it is a IBM Space Saver and I do like it. I just can't use it for very long. I will most likely keep it around until I get the HHKB Pro then I will make up my mind. I'll try to remember you when I make up my mind. I would really prefer that who ever gets it will use it or at least enjoy it more than I can.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline ozar

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 02 May 2009, 23:18:59 »
Regarding the Mini M boards, I really wish that Unicomp would customize their buckling spring Model M Spacesaver by removing the number pad,  and then cleaning up the upper and lower casing halves just a little bit so that they didn't have so many blemishes, and then put some nice quality keycaps on them.  If they'd do that, I'd by two or three of them on the spot because they'd actually have a smaller footprint than the IBM Mini M boards.

Doubtful that this will ever happen, though.

Offline wheel83

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 03 May 2009, 00:33:40 »
supposedly they are making their line of mighty mouses buckling spring.

perhaps they will do a real space saver one day.  if only we owned unicomp lol
I <3 BS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 03 May 2009, 05:38:37 »
I thought they had given up on that idea?

Offline cchan

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 03 May 2009, 07:05:06 »
Quote from: wheel83;88780
supposedly they are making their line of mighty mouses buckling spring.

perhaps they will do a real space saver one day.  if only we owned unicomp lol
if they do this (with a Trackpoint IV) I will be so happy and probably go out and buy 2 of them. Go Unicomp!
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline ozar

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 03 May 2009, 08:20:45 »
Quote from: cchan;88796
if they do this (with a Trackpoint IV) I will be so happy and probably go out and buy 2 of them. Go Unicomp!

I'd definitely purchase the Mighty Mouse if they'll put buckling springs in it (click on keyboard image for larger view).  I've always liked the layout and the smaller footprint of that board.  However, I would like to see them move that left Control key over next to the left Alt key, and I'd prefer the Mighty Mouse without the stick for myself.  It would also be nice is if this were to be available for $69 like their Spacesaver model, rather than the current $99 for the Mighty Mouse.

I was thinking someone said that Unicomp had decided not to create a buckling spring version of the Mighty Mouse, though.  Hope that is not the case.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 03 May 2009, 18:23:47 »
Yeah, that's what I thought too. And I somehow doubt that they'd make a buckling spring version of the M4 - it's too small, and would require some serious redesigning. I'd say it's something more like the original Model M Mini, or some kind of "sawed off" Spacesaver/Endurapro.