Author Topic: Not too sure what I want..  (Read 5498 times)

Offline BenBenMan

Not too sure what I want..
« on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 07:39:49 »
Hi guys,
I've been lurking around Geekhack for the past few days, as I'm currently looking at getting a keyboard. I'm a second-year computer science student, so I spend a lot of my time typing, but on occasion I'll play a few games. I've been using this Dell notebook keyboard for the past three years and am becoming increasingly concerned by the effect it's having on my fingers... so now I'm looking at real keyboards.

At the moment I'm looking at either the Das Keyboard III Professional or the Unicomp Customiser 104 ... every review I've seen of the Das has been positive, but on the other hand every review I've seen of the Customiser has said it's excellent as well. For those who have both, which is the better keyboard?

Also, are there any places in Australia which sell the Unicomp keyboards, or do I have to order directly from Unicomp?

Cheers...
Have:Unicomp Customizer 104, IBM Model M Spacesaver 1397681
Want: nothing at the moment, except maybe multimedia controls for my Unicomp :)

Offline kyamei

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 07:54:02 »
While I'm sure the Das is a decent board (cherry blue switches are nice), I wouldn't pay $130 for something that does this.

As for the Customizer, it should be a fine board if you don't mind the high spring tension of buckling springs.  I personally find them too heavy for my liking, but many others here love them.  You will probably have to order directly from Unicomp.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline ozar

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 13:58:54 »
Quote from: BenBenMan;89434
At the moment I'm looking at either the Das Keyboard III Professional or the Unicomp Customiser 104 ... every review I've seen of the Das has been positive, but on the other hand every review I've seen of the Customiser has said it's excellent as well. For those who have both, which is the better keyboard?
Welcome to the forums!  :smile:

I have both and have had them for some time, now.  If I were going to buy one, or the other again, I'd definitely go for the Customizer.  It's not nearly as cool, shiny, and fancy looking as the Das III, but you can almost get two of them for the price of one Das, and I personally don't find the Das all it's cracked up to be.  That said, I'll probably never buy another Das, whereas I have 3 of the Unicomp buckling spring boards and am very likely to buy more of them in the future.

Hope you will be happy with whatever you should choose, and that you will let us know what you get, and how you like it.

Offline IBI

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 15:06:25 »
Quote from: BenBenMan;89434

Why those two specifically? They seem like an odd pair, having nothing in common.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline BenBenMan

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 21:02:34 »
Thanks for the replys guys.. I'm starting to swing towards the Unicomp, since it sounds like it's better value than the Das.

Quote from: IBI;89561
Why those two specifically? They seem like an odd pair, having nothing in common.

No real reason other than I've heard they're both really good to type on ... are there any other keyboards around which are significantly better to type on than the Unicomp?

Also, another question for those with the Das, do the blank keys actually help you type faster, or is it just a marketing thing?

Offline cchan

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 May 2009, 21:17:12 »
It's a hyper-leet paladin lv70 kind of thing, that increases your e-pen0r. Though it could be a paedagogical aid to learn to touch type.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline IBI

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 May 2009, 09:00:05 »
Quote from: BenBenMan;89633
No real reason other than I've heard they're both really good to type on ... are there any other keyboards around which are significantly better to type on than the Unicomp?

All the keyboards discussed on here regulaly are good to type on, which is best depends on what sort of keys you like. Probably the most popular overall is the Torpe Realforce series and HHKB Professional, but they're expensive and only availible in certain layouts.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline nerp

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 May 2009, 12:35:41 »
The Unicomp will be a good choice. I bet you'll learn to love the feel and sound of the board once you get working on it regularly. It takes a little time to strengthen your fingers if you're coming from a soft board but it's worth it.
U N I.C O M P - Am I the only one that likes the logo?

Offline ozar

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 May 2009, 18:29:43 »
Thanks for the replys guys.. I'm starting to swing towards the Unicomp, since it sounds like it's better value than the Das.

In the end, you probably won't be happy or sure until you've actually tried both boards.  However, knowing what I now know about both boards, I'd recommend starting off with the Customizer and going from there.

Best of luck with it whichever route you should take.  :smile:

Offline bigpook

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 May 2009, 19:42:28 »
Quote from: kyamei;89437

As for the Customizer, it should be a fine board if you don't mind the high spring tension of buckling springs.  I personally find them too heavy for my liking, but many others here love them.  You will probably have to order directly from Unicomp.

I don't know if I can agree with this. I have had two unicomps and am down to one now. Its a customizer and just like the spacesaver the keys/springs were actually very smooth.  As for high spring tension; it was more noticeable for me on the IBM's where there could be obvious differences. Some IBM's that I have had were actually quite hard to press versus some others where the springs were actually overly bouncy.
The two unicomps that I had had the same feel. I thought they were very consistent. And overall a bit smoother then any IBM keyboard that I have ever used.

If I had to pick between a Das or a Unicomp I would go with the Unicomp. Ideally, you would have a chance to try both of them out before you making the decision and spending the money.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline BenBenMan

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 May 2009, 22:27:29 »
Quote from: ripster;89648

Before you leap can't you find a IBM Model M in Australia to try?

I tried one, once, a long time ago and it was quite nice to type on.

I think I'm going to go for the Customizer. I might also get a set of blank keycaps to try. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 10:15:58 »
Quote from: ozar;89842
In the end, you probably won't be happy or sure until you've actually tried both boards.

Very true. I was in a similar situation. I went with the Customizer first. Although I liked it very much I kept wondering what a Cherry Blue keyboard would feel like, hence my G80-3000 purchase.

Best of luck in your quest!

Offline BenBenMan

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 10:45:54 »
Well, I just placed my order with Unicomp. I decided to ring them beforehand to get an idea of the shipping cost, and spoke to Jim Owens who was really helpful. Apparently shipping is going to be about US$60. So, the keyboard plus the blank keycaps, a protective cover, and shipping should add up to about A$210. Excellent! :D

Offline ozar

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 11:04:05 »
BenBenMan, I'm curious (if you know)... how does that total price compare to the Das III Keyboard with extra blank keycaps shipped to your location?

Offline BenBenMan

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 11:08:47 »
Quote from: ozar;89894
BenBenMan, I'm curious (if you know)... how does that total price compare to the Das III Keyboard with extra blank keycaps shipped to your location?

The Das is sold in Australia by =KE-DASKEYBOARDU]Aus PC Market for A$214.50 incl. shipping, so it ended up being roughly the same price, however the Unicomp has a dust cover and an extra set of keycaps... I'm not sure if you can get extra keycaps for the Das, I couldn't find them on Aus PC Market...

edit: fixed the broken link

Offline ozar

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 11:24:38 »
Quote from: BenBenMan;89895
I'm not sure if you can get extra keycaps for the Das, I couldn't find them on Aus PC Market...

That might be correct.  I know you can buy it with or without blanks, but maybe not get both.

Either way, thanks for the pricing info.

Offline BenBenMan

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 May 2009, 20:05:26 »
Just a quick update on the shipping to Australia for those who are interested, there's an option for shipping with FedEx for US$41, which I think I'll go for. It will take approx 3-5 days to get here once shipped. The other options are air shipping which is US$60 and will take 3-5 days, or priority mail which is $52 and will take 6-10 days. Air shipping and FedEx are trackable, the priority mail isn't. So, now that I'm going for FedEx, that brings my order total to about A$182.

Offline IBI

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 08:17:31 »
Quote from: BenBenMan;89895
The Das is sold in Australia by =KE-DASKEYBOARDU]Aus PC Market for A$214.50 incl. shipping, so it ended up being roughly the same price, however the Unicomp has a dust cover and an extra set of keycaps...

What about customs charges?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 10:52:34 »
Also, another question for those with the Das, do the blank keys actually help you type faster, or is it just a marketing thing?

I've been using computers for ... decades, shall we say. Although I knew where all the keys were, I would often look at the keyboard while I touch-typed, if you can see what I mean. It held me back.

Now, after a week of having a blank-keyed DAS and using TypeFaster I can touch-type properly.

I'm kicking myself for not doing this long ago.

Offline ozar

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 11:35:37 »
Nothing slows down my own typing speed like looking at the keyboard does.  It's weird how you can be typing along with a good stride and without any issues, but look down at the keyboard for just a moment and everything seems to go to pieces.

Offline wheel83

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 11:38:44 »
buckling springs all the way!
I <3 BS

Offline BenBenMan

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 22:38:23 »
Quote from: IBI;90014
What about customs charges?

I don't think there will be any customs charges... according to Australian Customs you don't have to pay any customs for goods with a declared value of $1000 or less.

Offline IBI

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 09:00:16 »
Quote from: BenBenMan;90087
I don't think there will be any customs charges... according to Australian Customs you don't have to pay any customs for goods with a declared value of $1000 or less.

Lucky you, here in the UK it's only £18 - which pretty much excludes all keyboards.

Offline BenBenMan

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 17:30:22 »
Well, I got the shipping options email last Friday and responded, saying I'd prefer the FedEx shipping .. but now I haven't heard anything back? How long does this usually take? Should I ring them?
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2009, 17:53:24 by BenBenMan »

Offline ozar

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 20:31:06 »
Quote from: BenBenMan;90501
Well, I got the shipping options email last Friday and responded, saying I'd prefer the FedEx shipping .. but now I haven't heard anything back? How long does this usually take? Should I ring them?

Unicomp has always provided a tracking number for my orders, but they've all come by UPS and not FedEx, so I don't know if that will make a difference, but I wouldn't think it will.  It took about a week before they shipped my last order, so if it's been less than that for your order it might be too soon to be expecting a tracking number.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 14:35:37 »
I would go for the Unicomp over the DAS keyboard if I were you. It's really not worth $130 for some blue Cherries.
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:26:43 »
This would be worth the money if you don't mind the Chinese legends: http://www.geminicomputersinc.com/g80-3000lscrc-2.html

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:49:32 »
I almost forget about the letters until I read posts like this lol

Offline BenBenMan

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 15 May 2009, 07:12:15 »
Quote from: ripster;90623
Ben's gonna love the Unicomp.

Hah, I hope so ... I'm having a difficult time trying to convince my friends I'm not absolutely crazy for spending A$180 on a keyboard, but I suppose when it arrives I'll have the last laugh ... and the last clacks?

Anyway, I might ring them tonight and see what's happening with the order...

EDIT: It's hopefully going to ship by the end of next week. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2009, 20:32:31 by BenBenMan »