Author Topic: which type of ergonomic?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline pearlygold

which type of ergonomic?
« on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 22:11:37 »
I tried a search for this but couldn't find anything..
How does one decide which type of ergonomic keyboard to get (split, contour, etc)?
It said online that contoured is the most 'ergonomic' but it seems like some people still prefer other types, so I was wondering why? Does each type have its own advantage?
And also, how does one decide whether to get ergonomic at all? If ergonomic is "better" for you, why are there so many people who stick to regular keyboards?
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 December 2012, 22:13:38 by pearlygold »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: which type of ergonomic?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 06:57:13 »
Most people just don't care about their input devices, even though many of them have health issues. For example my dad has tennis elbow, and I've more or less forced him to try an ergonomic keyboard (after trying MS Natural Keyboard, some split Chicony and Goldtouch, I gave him an MS Natural Keyboard Elite, and he seems quite happy with it).

There aren't many choices either. If you're not willing to spend more than $50, there are only MS Natural Keyboard and its clones. Goldtouch, Kinesis FreeStyle and TypeMatrix are not exactly cheap at about $100; with TypeMatrix, you have to almost relearn how to touch type. If you want a mechanical, you're left alone with Kinesis Advantage and Truly Ergonomic (and Maltron or some rare vintage stuff).

Offline Lanx

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 23:48:10 »
there is no "best" ergonomic solution, only one that is good for you. That said you're really left to a forum like ours where the best way is to state what you
1. have
2. want to fix
3. your own plus/minus or pro's con's (i.e. i DO NOT want to give up the numpad/i absolutely love only...)

and we'll find you something with our own personal experience and clearly weighted opinions.
you didn't explain much of what you want so, do that and we can take it from there, also just type and we'll guide you.

Offline sordna

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 December 2012, 00:58:08 »
The main reason people stick to regular keyboards, is that they are ubiquitous and cheaper than ergonomic keyboards. The cheap "ergo" keyboards, that only have a bit of a curve, do not make much of a difference ergonomically (in my opinion) so they haven't become that popular. Unfortunately, to get a serious ergonomic benefit you need to spend more that what most people think is reasonable for a keyboard, when one comes free with the computers the buy.
For a good ergonomic benefit, I think at minimum one needs to look at the Goldtouch split/adjustable keyboard (it's around $90-$100). Going into mechanical ergo keyboards however, one needs to spend at least $200, for keyboards such as the Kinesis Advantage, Maltron 3D, or Truly Ergonomic.
I have settled on the Kinesis Advantage, which I am very happy with, although I plan to get an Ergodox as well, once it becomes available.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard