Author Topic: [GB] GMK Solarized Dark - COMPLETE  (Read 227084 times)

Offline johntron25

Re: [GB] GMK Solarized Dark - Sorting & Waiting on Pkg
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 18:27:46 »
They shipped to us on Friday so most likely to Keyclack as well :-)

Excellent. Looking forwards to getting the set!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dope! I can't wait!

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:00:49 »
Looks like our buddies in the EU got these first ; mykeyboard.eu.

More photos to follow, as we have a little more time.

I'm still waiting for the freight info from GMK.

Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline Delirious

« Reply #302 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:13:40 »

Show Image

The mods look nothing like the render, I will hold on to my judgement but 80% chance I'm asking for a refund at this point.
3 different people with 3 different cameras/phones took 3 pictures. And they look nothing like the render. You can't tell me it's the lighting anymore.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 March 2018, 20:51:39 by Delirious »

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #303 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:14:25 »
those mods look horrible

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #304 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 20:20:07 »
Even the alphas look nothing like the renders

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #305 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 21:10:31 »
Some sets are just very difficult to capture accurately in pictures. For example, barely any pic of Nautilus looks like it does in person. Same with Yuri. I hope these pics are just wildly inaccurate because they look absolutely nothing like this set was intended. The alphas basically look like tu1..
keyboards.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #306 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 00:57:56 »
Judging by the abundant reflection the lighting on that picture is also just way too strong.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #307 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 01:11:56 »
I wonder if the sets actually match the color samples.

Offline Helldrop

« Reply #308 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 03:26:07 »

That picture looks like B, not A.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #309 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 06:22:17 »
Holding my judgement until I see them in person, no use getting bent over potato pictures. The caps aren't going to change at this point, and colors have always been impossible to tell in every GB I've been in.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #310 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:17:29 »
Again, that highlighted green samples are what GMK claim they used and proved via sample photo along with their internal color code.

Offline Draic

« Reply #311 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:32:16 »
Even the alphas look nothing like the renders

I could be wrong, but I think the colours are not supposed to match the renders anymore. If I remember correctly, they got slightly adjusted from the usual solarized dark colours to a different tone. Claim was that the original colours do not translate well enough to real life. Of course that has nothing to do with the caps not matching the samples (no judgement yet), but atleast for the renders some deviation was intended, wasn't it?

Offline lovetree

« Reply #312 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 10:46:20 »

Show Image

Doesn't look like it's using custom colors.
Looks like using TU1, TU2 and CR plus some white....

Offline E.E.L. Ambiense

• Acrylic Heretic
    • E.E.L. Ambiense Industries
« Reply #313 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 11:07:49 »
I'll wait til the guys get them in at Keyclack to compare everything before freaking out.  I want this set so badly.
Case modder by trade; mech-deck'r for fun!

Offline soilheart

« Reply #314 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:22:06 »

Show Image

Doesn't look like it's using custom colors.
Looks like using TU1, TU2 and CR plus some white....

My first thought too...

With that said, I could probably live with a tad brighter alphas, not a fan of dark(=black) mods though. Thankfully I have a "Sky Dolch"-modifier kit laying around if it turns out the keycaps looks like the pictures.
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline Chromatrope

Re: [GB] GMK Solarized Dark - Shipped to Keyclack and Proxies
« Reply #315 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 10:52:13 »
Some pictures Necromanx posted on discord:

I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline necromanx

• mykeyboard.eu
« Reply #316 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 10:59:28 »

Still potato pictures!! :C 
My personal thoughts:
Legends are lighter than on the renders.  Mods are darker than the renders but in person the set still stands.  But it matches the color samples for as far as I can tell. ( sampling was done by keyclack and or thesiscamper)

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 11:16:09 »

Still potato pictures!! :C 
My personal thoughts:
Legends are lighter than on the renders.  Mods are darker than the renders but in person the set still stands.  But it matches the color samples for as far as I can tell. ( sampling was done by keyclack and or thesiscamper)

I have to say it looks much nicer now I see it in these pics even if they are potato pics. I've got some TU2 keys on a board here and I much prefer the look of how its coming out there. Also - glad to get my tracking earlier today!!

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #318 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 18:26:19 »
Looks better on the canoe but definitely not as I expected. Guess will have to see set in hand before deciding

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #319 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 18:31:07 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That's everything I'd expect from a true solarized dark theme. Much lighter and blue-er than the renders but way more accurate IMO.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #320 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 19:08:26 »
Mods still look a little dark and alphas a little light, but that's showing better contrast than previous pictures.  Might be on point in person.  will wait and see. 
keyboards.

Offline kve91

« Reply #321 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 07:51:06 »
Iphone picture of the keyset on a Leopold 750R

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #322 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 07:54:41 »
Iphone picture of the keyset on a Leopold 750R

Nice photo! How is it in real life?

Offline Chromatrope

« Reply #323 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 08:10:24 »
On that pic you can actually see the bluish tint to the modifiers a bit with the case next to them. Very subtle.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #324 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 09:52:02 »
I just want to explain the difficulties in judging colors by photograph, and even choosing the Pantone Codes.

First, Pantone Codes are constants, you either find (rarely I imagine) the exact color you wanted or settle for something close. It can be brighter, it can be darker, and it can have a different hue. You come up with hex codes and try to find the closest Pantone codes that already exist.

Second, it's hard to photograph objects that reflect light, actually it's hard to photograph anything at all with accurate colors in mind. You can take a photo of the same object and get different white balance every time if you use a phone. Even using cameras mean it depends on how the camera interprets colors, and using different cameras result in different colors. Now if you take into account viewing on the hundreds of different monitors then yeah, nobody is really looking at the same thing.

Third, renders are approximations that still rely on computations based on the real world. I don't have the lighting set up of your room, it won't be the same for better or worse. Even changing where the light comes from can drastically change the look of a rendered object.

Anyway, here's a photo of the mods sandwiched between a black GMK and black Maxkey cap. Please note that the colors in the photo are brighter than what I see with my own eyes, and my montitor is at 45% brightness.

Here's a photo of the first photograph above, compared to the caps held in my hand. Note that the caps in my hand are now darker than how I see it in person.

I find that color matching is hard, and I just hope seeing the set in person will change people's minds about how they feel about the color selection. Also, if you check the renders the mods are almost black, so I'm not sure why there are complaints about it now.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #325 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 11:20:06 »
I just want to explain the difficulties in judging colors by photograph, and even choosing the Pantone Codes.

First, Pantone Codes are constants, you either find (rarely I imagine) the exact color you wanted or settle for something close. It can be brighter, it can be darker, and it can have a different hue. You come up with hex codes and try to find the closest Pantone codes that already exist.

Second, it's hard to photograph objects that reflect light, actually it's hard to photograph anything at all with accurate colors in mind. You can take a photo of the same object and get different white balance every time if you use a phone. Even using cameras mean it depends on how the camera interprets colors, and using different cameras result in different colors. Now if you take into account viewing on the hundreds of different monitors then yeah, nobody is really looking at the same thing.

Third, renders are approximations that still rely on computations based on the real world. I don't have the lighting set up of your room, it won't be the same for better or worse. Even changing where the light comes from can drastically change the look of a rendered object.

Anyway, here's a photo of the mods sandwiched between a black GMK and black Maxkey cap. Please note that the colors in the photo are brighter than what I see with my own eyes, and my montitor is at 45% brightness.

Show Image

Here's a photo of the first photograph above, compared to the caps held in my hand. Note that the caps in my hand are now darker than how I see it in person.

Show Image

I find that color matching is hard, and I just hope seeing the set in person will change people's minds about how they feel about the color selection. Also, if you check the renders the mods are almost black, so I'm not sure why there are complaints about it now.

Show Image

TL;DR wait for the set to show up before you judge

thanks for the explanation
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline johntron25

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 13:05:34 »
Any pics of the modifier kit?

Offline soilheart

« Reply #327 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 16:50:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

As someone who commented on the "darkness" of the mods, I just want to clarify:

The mods ending up dark is not be an issue for me, if the alphas are dark as well (as solarized is a color scheme based on low brightness contrast and that is one of the reasons why I love the color scheme and got this kit). I do actually like the color of the alphas in the pictures so far though, so I don't see that as large of an issue (as I can probably pair them with other mods in the case of the contrast being too large for my personal taste).

I will wait with my judgment until I get the caps though, as I'm fully aware of some colors being hard to photograph (cyan being one of them, which I guess doesn't help for this set), and that getting the right brightness in a picture also is hard (especially with a mobile phone).
(K70 -  Brown) --- Pok3r - Clear --- Ducky Shine4 - Clear --- WKL B.face X2 - 67g Zealios --- CP-SQ - 78g Zealios --- RS68 - 62g Zealios
(Sold/retired - To be built)

Offline jchan94

• Keyclack Inc
  • Please email jchan@keyclack.com. PMs are disabled
    • KeyClack
« Reply #328 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 20:47:43 »
Here are some better photos.

The color accuracy will vary between monitor to monitor, but my monitor has 99% sRGB / 10 bit panel for reference.

edit: ships next week.

Support Email: support@keyclack.com

Did you miss something from us?

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #329 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 21:28:34 »

The color accuracy will vary between monitor to monitor, but my monitor has 99% sRGB / 10 bit panel for reference.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

What color M65 is that?

Set looks much better in that light  :cool:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #330 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 22:00:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

look pretty filtered to me.  I'd like to see one single accurate picture. 
keyboards.

Offline Strontaap

« Reply #331 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:39:55 »
I received my set this week. Without claiming the colors are 100% accurate (though still close), here's my picture of it.

Edit: Looking at jchan's photo's I can say the last two are indeed very close to the real thing. In his first photo the mods seem a bit lighter than they actually are.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:45:57 by Strontaap »
M65-A | COD67

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #332 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 07:08:34 »
Ok so alpha are much lighter and more blue than the renders. Gotcha. Sigh. :rolleyes:
keyboards.

Offline manzel

« Reply #333 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 09:10:35 »
Indeed, it looks more like alpha sample B instead of A.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #334 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 10:52:35 »
I received my set this week. Without claiming the colors are 100% accurate (though still close), here's my picture of it.

Show Image

Edit: Looking at jchan's photo's I can say the last two are indeed very close to the real thing. In his first photo the mods seem a bit lighter than they actually are.

That looks strangely suspect.  I suppose I'll have to wait for them to arrive.  This seems similar to GMK Plum (typing on it now), in that the way that they look in RL is nothing like any of the pictures.

Offline gutsack

« Reply #335 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 12:54:19 »
There sure is a lot of "reserving judgement" in this thread. :)

There have been several photos in different lighting conditions but reserving judgement or not, these colors are far less subtle than planned which seems to be a pretty common problem with GMK group buys. At some point people are going to have to pump up saturation in renders because they've been extremely inaccurate lately.

I will admit as a buyer of this set I find these photos very disappointing—even the nice photos jchan uploaded make the set look far too bright and cartoony. Oh well.

Offline Chromatrope

« Reply #336 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 06:43:39 »
Received my set today. While the alphas do look more vibrant under bright light, they look absolutely perfect in my dimly lit room and it's really everything I've hoped for. The modifiers look black at first sight but noticeably cooler than other blacks, and the blue shows as a sort of iridescent glow when light reflects off of them. Overall, I love how it turned out. It really emits those bluish wet tarmac at nighttime vibes and makes me want to play need for speed carbon again.

All pictures so far don't even come close to doing justice to how great these look under dim light.

Offline Liocer

« Reply #337 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 06:56:37 »
I like it :)..

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #338 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 08:57:40 »
Received my set today. While the alphas do look more vibrant under bright light, they look absolutely perfect in my dimly lit room and it's really everything I've hoped for. The modifiers look black at first sight but noticeably cooler than other blacks, and the blue shows as a sort of iridescent glow when light reflects off of them. Overall, I love how it turned out. It really emits those bluish wet tarmac at nighttime vibes and makes me want to play need for speed carbon again.

All pictures so far don't even come close to doing justice to how great these look under dim light.

I like it :)..

Show Image

Thank you guys!

Offline Draic

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 09:24:01 »
I think it would be interesting to have a direct comparison for the modifiers. Is anyone able to post them next to something like N9-Modifiers (=dark grey)? N9 is used for mods in Hydro, Skydolch, Terminal, .... The pictures always make them look like something between N9 and CR with zero blue tint in them.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #340 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 09:38:05 »
I think it would be interesting to have a direct comparison for the modifiers. Is anyone able to post them next to something like N9-Modifiers (=dark grey)? N9 is used for mods in Hydro, Skydolch, Terminal, .... The pictures always make them look like something between N9 and CR with zero blue tint in them.

Hopefully someone who has those sets post a photo like that

Offline Uleoja

« Reply #341 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:31:09 »
I have SkyDolch and will/can post a picture once I get SD if nobody has done it by the time I get it.  Looking at photo's tho I can't tell the difference.  SD mods might be a little darker compared to Sky Dolch mods but some pictures they also have hint of blue and others they are black. Only the first picture does not have a filter on it (I can't find the originals).  The first and second picture is a board with Ocean Dolch Alphas and Sky Dolch mods and the third photo is in reverse.

***NOTE***  SD is not pictured in anything shown below.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:11:43 by Uleoja »

Offline johntron25

« Reply #342 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 18:43:18 »
I have SkyDolch and will/can post a picture once I get SD if nobody has done it by the time I get it.  Looking at photo's tho I can't tell the difference.  SD mods might be a little darker compared to Sky Dolch mods but some pictures they also have hint of blue and others they are black. Only the first picture does not have a filter on it (I can't find the originals).  The first and second picture is a board with Ocean Dolch Alphas and Sky Dolch mods and the third photo is in reverse.

The dog is much lighter and less brown than the renders.

Offline Uleoja

« Reply #343 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 19:14:54 »

The dog is much lighter and less brown than the renders.

We definitely tried for a darker red on that one.  The lighting plays a big role in his appearance.  :)

Offline Strontaap

« Reply #344 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 03:17:03 »
Apologies in advance if GMK Carbon mods aren't N9 (they are though, right?!) but I've got some pictures of the Carbon mods next to the Solarized Dark mods.
They're not the best quality, but it's something.

In natural light:

Under a lamp:

« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 03:22:28 by Strontaap »
M65-A | COD67

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #345 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 05:06:50 »
Carbon doesn't use N9.  The dark gray is custom... but close.
keyboards.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #346 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 05:34:17 »
how about next to a WoB Cherry/GMK?

Offline Strontaap

« Reply #347 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 05:35:44 »
Carbon doesn't use N9.  The dark gray is custom... but close.

Ah, I guess that explains a lot. I couldn't find the color codes for the actual set, only for the novelties in the old IC thread (which were marked as N9).
M65-A | COD67

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #348 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 06:03:32 »
My set just arrived whilst I was at work now. I can take some pictures tonight next to N9 and other keysets as well. I have a GMK colour wheel and a few sets too to compare with

Offline Lohk

« Reply #349 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 09:32:37 »
Recieved my kits and put them on my ergodox.

Here's how they look:

The modifiers are indeed quite dark, this is one (on the right) compared to some black SP DCS blanks (on the left):