Author Topic: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps // Starts November 16  (Read 143016 times)

Offline BloodyMarvel

Re: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps // Updated kits
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 13:12:25 »
Media keys...

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #201 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 13:31:48 »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #202 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 21:00:32 »
I like the new kitting, I can see that some thought has gone into it, and it looks well put together. I'd like to suggest a few further potential improvements:
  • 1.5u Code keys added to the Extension kit. This would allow users to cover Mac and OG HHKB bottom rows with text mods rather than having to use (and buy) icon mods. It would also validate the inclusion of a second 1u Alt key in Base rather than the Icon mods kit (which is where the only 1.5u OS keys currently are).
  • Is the second 1u space key in the Extension kit necessary? It isn't for regular split spacebar boards, nor for ortho/40%, and it doesn't seem to be necessary for the exotic 60% boards you listed, either.
  • The 1.75u accent space in the spacebars kit isn't necessary, seeing as that key is only used on three 40% boards (Vortex Core, JD40) and is already included in the Ortho & 40's kit.
  • The second 1.25u accent space isn't warranted either, in my opinion, seeing how fairly rare the board that uses it is, and the fact that two 1.25u space keys are already included in Extension.
  • It'd be better to include an accent 1u space instead of 1.75u and the second 1.25u, as that key would be more useful for more boards.

So we finally got the quote from GMK. You can see the updated kits above and in the OP.

Novelties look like they are going to be around $40~45 as shown (250 MOQ). That's a bit expensive/high MOQ for my taste.

Do people really care about the highlighted keys?

Show Image

I like the dots on the bottom row, personally. Not sure if anybody else wants them...
I'd say drop them.

P.S. The board renders are showing vertically centered Caps and Shift icon mods, whereas the kits only include OG top-left aligned mods.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2020, 15:50:12 by konstantin »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #203 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 21:32:06 »
I like the new kitting, I can see that some thought has gone into it, and it looks well put together. I'd like to suggest a few further potential improvements:
  • 1.5u Code keys added to the Extension kit. This would allow users to cover Mac and OG HHKB bottom rows with text mods rather than having to use icon mods. It would also validate the inclusion of the second 1u Alt key in base rather than the Icon mods kit (which is where the only 1.5u OS keys currently are).
  • Is the second 1u space key in the Extension kit necessary? It isn't for regular split spacebar boards, nor for ortho/40%, and it doesn't seem to be necessary for the exotic 60% boards you listed, either.
  • The 1.75u accent space in the spacebars kit isn't necessary, seeing as that key is only used on three 40% boards (Vortex Core, Daisy, JD40) and is already included in the Ortho & 40's kit.
  • The second 1.25u accent space isn't warranted either, in my opinion, seeing how fairly rare the board that uses it is, and the fact that two 1.25u space keys are already included elsewhere.
  • It'd be better to include an accent 1u space instead of 1.75u and the second 1.25u, as that key would be more useful for more boards.

So we finally got the quote from GMK. You can see the updated kits above and in the OP.

Novelties look like they are going to be around $40~45 as shown (250 MOQ). That's a bit expensive/high MOQ for my taste.

Show Image

I like the dots on the bottom row, personally. Not sure if anybody else wants them...
I'd say drop them.

P.S. The board renders are showing vertically centered Caps and Shift icon mods, whereas the kits only include OG top-left aligned mods.

Thanks. I will unpack this tomorrow.

As for the renders showing centered icons, they are an early version and they are wrong; The icons will be Cherry style like in the kit renders.

Cheers

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #204 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 21:57:37 »
Thanks. I will unpack this tomorrow.

As for the renders showing centered icons, they are an early version and they are wrong; The icons will be Cherry style like in the kit renders.

Cheers

:thumb:

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #205 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 22:22:32 »
Very excited for this. Base, Extension with G/H/B cut-out, and RGB add-on. Only thing I have to decide on next is numpad or no.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline msv

« Reply #206 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 23:02:09 »

Show Image

Interested in the media keys, would like the red dot, but okay to lose the highlighted keys if it means a more friendly price.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #207 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 04:11:29 »
Honestly I'm really interested in that kit only for the media keys.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #208 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 09:25:26 »
I'm glad people like the media keys! :D

I think a good compromise would be to scrap the 3 extra R1 dots, Hack key, and leave the R4 dots.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 09:42:46 »
I'm glad people like the media keys! :D

I think a good compromise would be to scrap the 3 extra R1 dots, Hack key, and leave the R4 dots.

I would keep at least two R4 dots in the modifier color for 7u bottom row setups (winkey), so that's a good compromise imo

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #210 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 12:17:56 »
If you're going to add keys to the accent pack, I'd like to throw in my vote for black media keys and blue function keys again  :D

Offline IBMweMissU

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 14:02:07 »
You deleted the red dot caps ? AND the "Think" novelties? Loved those.
 :(

Bring em back. At least maybe one R4 1.25u "Think"?

No! These are just the kits that changed. Please refer to the OP for all the kits.  :))

Ah, I misunderstood, thanks for clearing that up.
WRT your highlighted keys, I add my vote to drop them if it reduces price.
Any news on Tex's involvement? And likely GB date?

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Re: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 09:54:10 »
Can I get a F13 key?

FYI

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106504.0

PS. This is also where you get your N9 windowed keys. Scroll is Scroll but no set is perfect :)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #213 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 15:49:14 »
You deleted the red dot caps ? AND the "Think" novelties? Loved those.
 :(

Bring em back. At least maybe one R4 1.25u "Think"?

No! These are just the kits that changed. Please refer to the OP for all the kits.  :))

Ah, I misunderstood, thanks for clearing that up.
WRT your highlighted keys, I add my vote to drop them if it reduces price.
Any news on Tex's involvement? And likely GB date?

Working on it.

If you're going to add keys to the accent pack, I'd like to throw in my vote for black media keys and blue function keys again  :D

It's going to be more like this, to better emulate the actual Thinkpad Fn key:

The blue legend is kind of dark, but we haven't found a better solution (Thinkpad keys are pad printed in a lighter colour).

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 16:17:10 »
Show Image

The blue legend is kind of dark, but we haven't found a better solution (Thinkpad keys are pad printed in a lighter colour).

Well now why'd you have to go and fix the Fn key. Now I'm buying an accent kit. Next we'll have a space bar with the super zoom icon and top row fn keys with lock/battery/sleep/brightness/thinklight sublegends. :D
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #215 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 18:38:03 »
Show Image

Well now why'd you have to go and fix the Fn key. Now I'm buying an accent kit. Next we'll have a space bar with the super zoom icon and top row fn keys with lock/battery/sleep/brightness/thinklight sublegends. :D

Nah, don't worry. Voted budget of 22 fiddy can accommodate a couple more keys, in line with GMK Think:

The icon and icon+text numpad Enters are a good candidate (replacing text-only). Unless someone has a better idea.

That being said, I don't wanna get too wild; or duplicate things from other kits. At first, I wanted to do pad printed keys, but I'm probably alone in that. Vim keys could be cool.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 09:12:45 »
  • 1.5u Code keys added to the Extension kit. This would allow users to cover Mac and OG HHKB bottom rows with text mods rather than having to use (and buy) icon mods. It would also validate the inclusion of a second 1u Alt key in Base rather than the Icon mods kit (which is where the only 1.5u OS keys currently are).

Yes, it's one of the things I would add. As you know, I'm not a huge fan of "Code". "System" is probably better (Mito is not fully committed to it in the new Laser!). Second 1u Alt is motivated by the Meta keys (diamond) in Icon mods. It's only one key and it wouldn't make sense to put it with the icons, therefore this is the most logical place. The Meta keys wouldn't necessarily be out of place with otherwise text+icon mods, imo.

Extension kits are not very popular. I have seen too many Alice boards without proper spacebars (when they were available in the extension kit). Hence putting only the necessary keys in there.

They should come in pair. It is in fact for ortho, as is the 3u and extra 2u. It's cheap.

• The 1.75u accent space in the spacebars kit isn't necessary, seeing as that key is only used on three 40% boards (Vortex Core, Daisy, JD40) and is already included in the Ortho & 40's kit.

Some boards have used two 1.75u spacebars (JD45). I see it more as an accent for Vortex Core.

• The second 1.25u accent space isn't warranted either, in my opinion, seeing how fairly rare the board that uses it is, and the fact that two 1.25u space keys are already included in Extension.

Since there are no 1.5u spacebars (Atreus, etc.), these can serve as replacements. Also Minila has two convex 1.25u.

They're already included in the ortho set. Is there any non-ortho-40's board that could make use of them (convex 1u)?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #217 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:20:21 »
Yes, it's one of the things I would add. As you know, I'm not a huge fan of "Code". "System" is probably better (Mito is not fully committed to it in the new Laser!). Second 1u Alt is motivated by the Meta keys (diamond) in Icon mods. It's only one key and it wouldn't make sense to put it with the icons, therefore this is the most logical place. The Meta keys wouldn't necessarily be out of place with otherwise text+icon mods, imo.

Extension kits are not very popular. I have seen too many Alice boards without proper spacebars (when they were available in the extension kit). Hence putting only the necessary keys in there.

As someone who very much dislikes Code for a number of reasons (outlined here and here), I support changing all Code legends to System/Sys or Super. In that case, my proposition would be to add two 1.5u System or Super keys to the Extension kit, not Code. (By the way, 1u Sys in GMK Laser R2 was changed to Code for a different reason.)

As I said, I agree with the placement of the second 1u Alt in the base kit, if text 1.5u System/Super keys are added to the Extension kit to make it more purposeful. Otherwise, the second 1u Alt is useful if and only if the Icon Mods kit is purchased. It shouldn't make a big difference anyway since it's just one key, but I'm sure text 1.5u OS keys would be appreciated by a number of users (mostly Mac users, but also those who prefer OG HHKB key positions).

Regarding “necessary” keys, 1.5u OS keys are definitely more popular than the second 2.25u Shift currently present in the Extension kit, which is only used on 660 keyboards (of which there aren't that many, whereas any keyboard with a Tsangan/HHKB bottom row can use 1.5u OS keys). If you only count Western audiences, they are more popular than 2u Shift, 1u Shift, 1u Delete as well.

They should come in pair. It is in fact for ortho, as is the 3u and extra 2u. It's cheap.

Well, I think there is no point in including the second 1u for ortho in the Extension kit because two of them are already present in the Ortho & 40's kit. If you have ever seen an ortho keyboard with four convex 1u space keys, please link it so I can take note :D Otherwise, the second one can be removed from the Extension kit.

Besides that, 1u, 2u and 3u space keys are also used on regular ≥60% boards (most Alice-style boards, some ≥60% splits, Minila), so they serve a purpose outside of being just additional ortho compatibility.

Some boards have used two 1.75u spacebars (JD45). I see it more as an accent for Vortex Core.

JD45 falls under the same category as the JD40 that I mentioned (which also uses 2× 1.75u). If you want to count it separately, that still makes it only four keyboards in total that use a 1.75u spacebar, none of which are very popular, not even Vortex Core. It's fine if you want to keep it, but consider whether it's objectively common enough to warrant that (and also keep in mind that one 1.75u is already present in the Ortho & 40's kit).

Since there are no 1.5u spacebars (Atreus, etc.), these can serve as replacements. Also Minila has two convex 1.25u.

Again, two 1.25u space keys are already included in the Extension kit, which you have to buy in order to get Minila support anyway :) No need to duplicate them in the Spacebars kit (that was the point of my comment). Also, Atreus uses two 1.25u/1.5u spacebars, not four, so the Extension kit on its own will be enough for that as well.

They're already included in the ortho set. Is there any non-ortho-40's board that could make use of them (convex 1u)?

Yes, convex 1u is useful for most Alice-style ergo boards (Alice, Lubrigante, Rukia, Maja, Type K...), ≥60% split boards (VE.A, Doppelgänger, Uni660...), etc.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:28:24 by konstantin »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:39:54 »

As someone who very much dislikes Code for a number of reasons (outlined here and here), I support changing all Code legends to System/Sys or Super. In that case, my proposition would be to add two 1.5u System or Super keys to the Extension kit, not Code. (By the way, 1u Sys in GMK Laser R2 was changed to Code for a different reason.)

As I said, I agree with the placement of the second 1u Alt in the base kit, if text 1.5u System/Super keys are added to the Extension kit to make it more purposeful. Otherwise, the second 1u Alt is useful if and only if the Icon Mods kit is purchased. It shouldn't make a big difference anyway since it's just one key, but I'm sure text 1.5u OS keys would be appreciated by a number of users (mostly Mac users, but also those who prefer OG HHKB key positions).

Regarding “necessary” keys, 1.5u OS keys are definitely more popular than the second 2.25u Shift currently present in the Extension kit, which is only used on 660 keyboards (of which there aren't that many, whereas any keyboard with a Tsangan/HHKB bottom row can use 1.5u OS keys). If you only count Western audiences, they are more popular than 2u Shift, 1u Shift, 1u Delete as well.

Well, I think there is no point in including the second 1u for ortho in the Extension kit because two of them are already present in the Ortho & 40's kit. If you have ever seen an ortho keyboard with four convex 1u space keys, please link it so I can take note :D Otherwise, the second one can be removed from the Extension kit.

Besides that, 1u, 2u and 3u space keys are also used on regular ≥60% boards (most Alice-style boards, some ≥60% splits, Minila), so they serve a purpose outside of being just additional ortho compatibility.

JD45 falls under the same category as the JD40 that I mentioned (which also uses 2× 1.75u). If you want to count it separately, that still makes it only four keyboards in total that use a 1.75u spacebar, none of which are very popular, not even Vortex Core. It's fine if you want to keep it, but consider whether it's objectively common enough to warrant that (and also keep in mind that one 1.75u is already present in the Ortho & 40's kit).

Again, two 1.25u space keys are already included in the Extension kit, which you have to buy in order to get Minila support anyway :) No need to duplicate them in the Spacebars kit (that was the point of my comment). Also, Atreus uses two 1.25u/1.5u spacebars, not four, so the Extension kit on its own will be enough for that as well.

Yes, convex 1u is useful for most Alice-style ergo boards (Alice, Lubrigante, Rukia, Maja, Type K...), ≥60% split boards (VE.A, Doppelgänger, Uni660...), etc.

I haven't read all the discussions about Laser, why was 1u Sys changed to Code? I'm leaning towards Code because it's more popular (at this time). I think the Meta keys are a good enough option for Mac users. Both Extension and Icon mods will be priced similarly. I see more value in Icon mods for most people and all OSes.

Regarding the convex keys... removing one 1u or 1.25u will not change the price of the kits, so it's pointless to remove them. My approach is about offering all convex sizes, in both colours.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #219 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 10:52:54 »
I haven't read all the discussions about Laser, why was 1u Sys changed to Code? I'm leaning towards Code because it's more popular (at this time). I think the Meta keys are a good enough option for Mac users. Both Extension and Icon mods will be priced similarly. I see more value in Icon mods for most people and all OSes.

It was done purely for aesthetics on HHKB boards, and also for people who use Code for both 1u bottom row keys on HHKB even when they don't map the second one to be an OS key (Code is more neutral than Sys in that particular use case) — which is odd reasoning, imo, but that's what MiTo went with.

Regarding the convex keys... removing one 1u or 1.25u will not change the price of the kits, so it's pointless to remove them. My approach is about offering all convex sizes, in both colours.

In that case, please offer a 1u convex option in both colors as well. Then I can get just Spacebars (I need the 1u for my Rukia) and not bother with Extension.
By the way, it's actually 4 extraneous convex keys in total (3 of which in Spacebars), which isn't insignificant.

Edit: grammar
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 11:52:06 by konstantin »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #220 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 11:27:48 »

It was done purely for aesthetics on HHKB boards, and also for people who use Code for both 1u bottom row keys on HHKB even when they don't map the second one to be an OS key (Code is more neutral than Sys in that particular use case).

I feel like there's already plenty of options for R4 1.5u keys (Alt, Meta, Think, Fn).

In that case, please add a 1u convex option in both colors as well. In that case I can just get Spacebars (I need the 1u for my Rukia) and not bother with Extension.
And it's actually 4 extraneous keys in total (3 of which in Spacebars), which isn't insignificant.

Can't you get all the spacebars you need for Rukia in the Extension kit?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #221 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 11:46:21 »

Yes, but I will be getting Spacebars anyway for the 6u's and large accent bars. Since I don't mind the color of the small bars, that leaves just 1u that isn't covered by the Spacebars kit, and I don't want to have to get another kit for just that one key. Why not drop the 1.75u and second 1.25u and add a 1u (a more commonly used space key on ≥60%)? Or just add a 1u straight up? In the former case the kit would be $3–$5 cheaper (depending on vendor markup) without really sacrificing anything. In the latter case it would be in line with what you said about offering all convex sizes in both colors. Either way, a 1u should be in there, imo.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #222 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 11:57:52 »

Yes, but I will be getting Spacebars anyway for the 6u's and large accent bars. Since I don't mind the color of the small bars, that leaves just 1u that isn't covered by the Spacebars kit, and I don't want to have to get another kit for just that one key. Why not drop the 1.75u and second 1.25u and add a 1u (a more commonly used space key on ≥60%)? Or just add a 1u straight up? In the former case the kit would be $3–$5 cheaper (depending on vendor markup) without really sacrificing anything. In the latter case it would be in line with what you said about offering all convex sizes in both colors. Either way, a 1u should be in there, imo.

I would call this an edge case... ;)

Let me reiterate. The reason for keeping the extra 1.75u is because some boards have two, it's their only option. The reason for two 1.25u is because Yoda and Minila support are staples of this set (due to the theme and new GMK 3u SB). Therefore removing one 1.25u makes no sense. Adding two 1u's is something to consider.

You should seriously consider asking an ortho user to sell you their blue convex 1u's!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #223 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 12:02:44 »

Let me reiterate. The reason for keeping the extra 1.75u is because some boards have two, it's their only option. The reason for two 1.25u is because Yoda and Minila support are staples of this set (due to the theme and new GMK 3u SB). Therefore removing one 1.25u makes no sense. Adding two 1u's is something to consider.

You should seriously consider asking an ortho user to sell you their blue convex 1u's!

Same goes for me! I need that R4 1.75u Lock key for my Minila, and will have to ask an ortho user to sell me theirs!

--
We have deliberately separated the Numpad from base to allow extra budget for kits. You're welcome. ;D
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 July 2020, 12:08:52 by voodoo6k »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 12:18:06 »

Take a cursory look at the IC and GB boards on this forum, and you will find that Alice-style boards are by no means an edge case :D All of them (I can't think of any exceptions rn) support 2.25u+1u spacebar layouts.

There is no real reason why 1u's have to come in pairs. Only ortho boards use 2× 1u spacebars. The ortho kit already contains two of them. There don't need to be two 1u spacebars in the Extension and Spacebars kits. Just put one black 1u in Extension and one accent 1u in Spacebars and be done with it :)

Insisting on pairs of 1u's everywhere is the wrong kind of consistency to go for. This kind of consistency is better, so I recommend going through with that instead:
My approach is about offering all convex sizes, in both colours.

Yeah, because that approach usually works out great for everyone... it's not like I've been looking for someone to sell me their Red Samurai cloud novelties for the past 1.5 years or anything... :)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 12:24:50 »

Take a cursory look at the IC and GB boards on this forum, and you will find that Alice-style boards are by no means an edge case :D All of them (I can't think of any exceptions rn) support 2.25u+1u spacebar layouts.

Alice is supported by both spacebars and extension kits, in both colours... I'm sorry, but what I meant by "edge case" is you trying to score all the keys you need in a single kit (for two keyboards!).

Edit: no hard feelings <3
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 July 2020, 09:23:42 by voodoo6k »

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 14:25:35 »
Here are the poll results (closed after 100 votes):

Conclusion:
  • Average budget for the Accent kit is $22.75 (if I'm not mistaken)
  • Ortho & 40's poll is bit skewed towards the standalone option, since I posted the set on r/OLKB a few days ago. Prior to that, the results were already pretty conclusive, at around 50% for standalone with 72 votes (2020-06-29).

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 July 2020, 07:57:24 by voodoo6k »

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #227 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 14:29:46 »
I'd absolutely be willing to pay more for a larger accent kit fyi. I took that question as meaning "what would you be willing to pay for this small accent pack."

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #228 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 14:40:10 »
I'd absolutely be willing to pay more for a larger accent kit fyi. I took that question as meaning "what would you be willing to pay for this small accent pack."

Sorry for the confusion. I explicitly noted "Example of an accent kit (may contain MORE keys)", in the form... Perhaps I could've phrased it differently. Hopefully the sample size will offset any misunderstandings.

The price for the Accent kit will be $20~25. I think this is reasonable, because some people want to buy several.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 16:29:23 »
Whew, that blue piece of the pie that would pay over $50. O_O Make a full keyset of just accents.

Offline 100 percent horse

« Reply #230 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 08:02:29 »
Oh I love these so damn much

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline BloodyMarvel

« Reply #231 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 08:45:41 »
Anytime you ask "how much are you willing to pay" the results are gonna be skewed towards the low end, because people think that the lower they vote, the less it will cost.

You need to decide what you want in the kit, get a quote, and that's what it's gonna cost. It's not a request to set a price. The less you wanna pay, the smaller the kit will need to be to hit that price.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #232 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 10:50:08 »
Anytime you ask "how much are you willing to pay" the results are gonna be skewed towards the low end, because people think that the lower they vote, the less it will cost.

You need to decide what you want in the kit, get a quote, and that's what it's gonna cost. It's not a request to set a price. The less you wanna pay, the smaller the kit will need to be to hit that price.

I'm actually quite happy with the result.

We have a small amount of headroom and already opinions are starting to diverge. I wouldn't want to have to decide what goes into a $50 kit...

Offline parablol

« Reply #233 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 12:23:33 »
I got a numpad for my girlfriend's ThinkPad T420 and the kit here will be a great kit for it. Just need a R1 1u "Fn" key, but I suppose one of the red TrackPoint-looking novelties will do fine instead.

I'm interested in that stand-alone ortho kit. It's got almost everything I need except for an extra 2u R4C key, but I'll just buy a spacebar kit so I can enjoy the extra 1u R4C keys too.

Looking forward to the GB!

Offline equalunique

« Reply #234 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 11:01:26 »

I like the bottom row dots too. On the Preonic render you have I think they look pretty cool, especially with the red case. I also didn't see any renders of standard keyboards using them for their arrow keys, but I think that would be cool too. I can see 65%/75%/CP users also having three of them in place over the right-side Ctrl/Win/Alt keys.

But overall, I can see why they'd be unpopular. It's kind of a niche thing.  :(

Offline Dunne

• Dunne
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 11:57:18 »
Keycap set is looking great I like the GMK Dot vibes too!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 17:00:01 »
Update:

We're lining up some top tier vendors for this group buy! Our US vendor wants me to gather more data on the preferred kits. I encourage everyone to please fill out this new form:

If you've already filled out the old forms, please make sure you also fill out the new one. Sorry about that!

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
Re: [IC] GMK ThinkCaps // Please fill out the NEW form!
« Reply #237 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 09:47:50 »

I like the bottom row dots too. On the Preonic render you have I think they look pretty cool, especially with the red case. I also didn't see any renders of standard keyboards using them for their arrow keys, but I think that would be cool too. I can see 65%/75%/CP users also having three of them in place over the right-side Ctrl/Win/Alt keys.

But overall, I can see why they'd be unpopular. It's kind of a niche thing.  :(

I'm keeping them for now. We'll see ;)

I got a numpad for my girlfriend's ThinkPad T420 and the kit here will be a great kit for it. Just need a R1 1u "Fn" key, but I suppose one of the red TrackPoint-looking novelties will do fine instead.

I'm interested in that stand-alone ortho kit. It's got almost everything I need except for an extra 2u R4C key, but I'll just buy a spacebar kit so I can enjoy the extra 1u R4C keys too.

Looking forward to the GB!

Yes! I'm really pushing for that ortho & 40's set...

Fn would be the next key added to the numpad, if there was any room to spare.

As for the extra 2u you can go with either Extension (black) or Spacebars (blue).

Keycap set is looking great I like the GMK Dot vibes too!

Thank you :)

Everyone, please remember to fill out our new form: https://forms.gle/3m31h6g1t6ykKEQD8

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #238 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 19:00:15 »
Alice is supported by both spacebars and extension kits, in both colours... I'm sorry, but what I meant by "edge case" is you trying to score all the keys you need in a single kit (for two keyboards!).

Just saw this. No worries, it's all preference and trade-offs; you win some, you lose some :) In general I'm happy with the current kits. Ik you know what you're doing :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2020, 19:02:08 by konstantin »

Offline Kavik

« Reply #239 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 00:21:00 »
I've sworn off buying any more keycap sets, but I really like the IBM/Lenovo/Thinkpad theme. I'll keep an eye on this.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2020, 10:23:54 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 10:06:20 »
I've sworn off buying anymore keycap sets, but I really like the IBM/Lenovo/Thinkpad theme. I'll keep an eye on this.

I like hearing this ;)

Just saw this. No worries, it's all preference and trade-offs; you win some, you lose some :) In general I'm happy with the current kits. Ik you know what you're doing :)

After looking over the set with a US vendor, we concluded that there may be too many kits. Icon mods is at risk. So you may get your way in the end, as the kits get jumbled again... ;) Only thing is, where would the windows keys go?

And then there's Ortho & 40's (standalone)... 250 MOQ is huge. I think we can do it, and I commit to buy any remainder to reach 250 (as Canadian proxy Yakk shop).

I will make separate IC threads for the RGB and icon mods, as they're compatible with many other sets.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 11:07:47 »
After looking over the set with a US vendor, we concluded that there may be too many kits. Icon mods is at risk. So you may get your way in the end, as the kits get jumbled again... ;) Only thing is, where would the windows keys go?

And then there's Ortho & 40's (standalone)... 250 MOQ is huge. I think we can do it, and I commit to buy any remainder to reach 250 (as Canadian proxy Yakk shop).

I will make separate IC threads for the RGB and icon mods, as they're compatible with many other sets.

Ah man, that's a shame, I'd rather see RGB mods get the axe than Icon mods. They're the furthest removed from the ThinkPad theme, imo, and there are already RGB mods kits/ICs/GBs out there (and will be in the future).

Are you interested in optimizations for the Ortho & 40's kit? Cause I got those :D I see at least 5 keys that can be cut / merged / offloaded. But also a couple that would need to be added for full physical coverage of some popular 40% boards.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 11:50:08 »

[...]

Are you interested in optimizations for the Ortho & 40's kit? Cause I got those :D I see at least 5 keys that can be cut / merged / offloaded. But also a couple that would need to be added for full physical coverage of some popular 40% boards.

Let's go

Offline psxndc

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:09:11 »

Please don't take away my 1u R3 Ctrl.
Ortho. Always.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:17:41 »
Let's go

I'll send you a message on Discord.

R3 1u Ctrl is used by a number of users, so I wouldn't suggest removing it. However, would you mind it being changed to a more generic legend such as Hack, Meta or Code? As such, it would also be able to cover R3 Caps, Shift or Fn (alongside Ctrl, ofc) for ortho users who prefer to use those keys on R3.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:41:37 »
Let's go

I'll send you a message on Discord.

R3 1u Ctrl is used by a number of users, so I wouldn't suggest removing it. However, would you mind it being changed to a more generic legend such as Hack, Meta or Code? As such, it would also be able to cover R3 Caps, Shift or Fn (alongside Ctrl, ofc) for ortho users who prefer to use those keys on R3.

It's not a bad idea. There's also the R3 novelties (dots).

I don't mind if you wanted to share it here as well. Either way. Keep in mind that there's a reason behind every key, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #246 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 13:58:04 »
I personally am fine with a 1u R3 novelty. It's what I usually do, was just hoping I didn't have to this time. I would be happy with another term as well - hack, code, whatever.

My main concern is being stuck with ESC and TAB as my *only* options for that slot. To that point, if I'm being honest, if there's two or more non-ESC/TAB options for R3, I'm going to use one of them for the N9 ortho kit that ran before. It only has ESC/TAB.
Ortho. Always.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #247 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 15:35:40 »
I personally am fine with a 1u R3 novelty. It's what I usually do, was just hoping I didn't have to this time. I would be happy with another term as well - hack, code, whatever.

My main concern is being stuck with ESC and TAB as my *only* options for that slot. To that point, if I'm being honest, if there's two or more non-ESC/TAB options for R3, I'm going to use one of them for the N9 ortho kit that ran before. It only has ESC/TAB.

Do you need R3 Ctrl and another R3 key in addition to that?

Offline psxndc

[IC] GMK ThinkCaps // Please fill out the NEW form!
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 19:45:46 »
I am personally covered by the novelties as is. Would I prefer a Ctrl/Code/Hack there instead of a novelty? Yes.

Is it a deal breaker for me if there is no Ctrl/code/hack and I have to rely on novelties? Not at all.

Edit: to answer the real question you're asking: I only need one key there. I don't care if it's Ctrl/code/hack or novelty, though my preference is not the novelty for this particular set because I *love* the idea of the dot in the middle of the board; it's friggin brilliant.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2020, 19:49:02 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 20:46:56 »
I am personally covered by the novelties as is. Would I prefer a Ctrl/Code/Hack there instead of a novelty? Yes.

Is it a deal breaker for me if there is no Ctrl/code/hack and I have to rely on novelties? Not at all.

Edit: to answer the real question you're asking: I only need one key there. I don't care if it's Ctrl/code/hack or novelty, though my preference is not the novelty for this particular set because I *love* the idea of the dot in the middle of the board; it's friggin brilliant.

Don't worry, R3 Ctrl is not going anywhere ;)