Author Topic: [IC] Optical Future: Custom Screws are in - still alive  (Read 31882 times)

Offline Swishy

Re: [IC] Optical Future: Optical test pcb is here and working with QMK
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 10:18:26 »
I guess this is the idea, so you can use the switch north or south facing:

Show Image

either the way, at least for me is useless since I don't like to use leds  ;D ;D

exactly

Offline Swishy

Re: [IC] Optical Future: Optical test pcb is here and working with QMK
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 16:32:12 »
I had a fun little experiment I would like to share the future is looking bright!

Offline pilsy

Re: [IC] Optical Future: Optical pcb update and I made an Optical Holy Panda!!!
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 04 September 2020, 12:43:14 »
I really like the idea and gonna keep following it very closely.
Already filled out the form as well. Though I just want to make sure I understand the part about the pcb correctly:
the 60% pcb is already guaranteed and therefore not included in the options. Is that correct? (bc that’s really my thing ^ㅂ^)

Offline Swishy

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 06:43:51 »
I really like the idea and gonna keep following it very closely.
Already filled out the form as well. Though I just want to make sure I understand the part about the pcb correctly:
the 60% pcb is already guaranteed and therefore not included in the options. Is that correct? (bc that’s really my thing ^ㅂ^)

Yes sir. We are finishing up everything and getting ready to order protos for the 60% pcbs very soon!

Offline scumyc

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 01:28:55 »
Really interested to see where this goes, just wanted to share my thoughts.

On paper, Gateron optical should be ideal for a gaming daily driver (smoothness, no debounce, MX keycaps).  It would be game changing to put together a nice optical keyboard.

I am really glad you are working on a PCB, thats a huge piece.  A QMK compatible, HHKB/Tsangan style PCB would be perfect for me personally.  If I had one, I would put it into an MX hotswap case with an integrated plate (where the PCB screws into the plate).

I couldn't find a datasheet for Gateron optical switches, so I bought an iGK61p and a bag of silver switches to check them out.  As I suspected, there is absolutely nothing to keep the switches in the PCB, it is going to be entirely on the plate to keep the switches in place.  The good news is that it looks like the distance from the top of the plate to the bottom of the switch housing is the same as it is for MX switches, so I think there is a good chance MX integrated plate cases will work well.  I just hope the standard poker pcb mounting holes will be sufficient, because I don't think you can afford to have your PCB flex much with optical.

And of couse I would try the new switches too! Also if you really want to go above and beyond with the PCB you could include an optional JST connector for a usb daughter board, so it is compatible with some high end MX cases.

Hopefully some of this was worthwhile.  Keep up the good work!

Offline Swishy

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 11:56:33 »
Really interested to see where this goes, just wanted to share my thoughts.

On paper, Gateron optical should be ideal for a gaming daily driver (smoothness, no debounce, MX keycaps).  It would be game changing to put together a nice optical keyboard.

I am really glad you are working on a PCB, thats a huge piece.  A QMK compatible, HHKB/Tsangan style PCB would be perfect for me personally.  If I had one, I would put it into an MX hotswap case with an integrated plate (where the PCB screws into the plate).

I couldn't find a datasheet for Gateron optical switches, so I bought an iGK61p and a bag of silver switches to check them out.  As I suspected, there is absolutely nothing to keep the switches in the PCB, it is going to be entirely on the plate to keep the switches in place.  The good news is that it looks like the distance from the top of the plate to the bottom of the switch housing is the same as it is for MX switches, so I think there is a good chance MX integrated plate cases will work well.  I just hope the standard poker pcb mounting holes will be sufficient, because I don't think you can afford to have your PCB flex much with optical.

And of couse I would try the new switches too! Also if you really want to go above and beyond with the PCB you could include an optional JST connector for a usb daughter board, so it is compatible with some high end MX cases.

Hopefully some of this was worthwhile.  Keep up the good work!

sadly we couldn't get tsangan, but everything else we have handled I designed a custom standoff to allow for regular poker style cases so its universally drop in and support standard 60% plates even better we did put in a JST so if you would like you can use with high end boards.

Offline Swishy

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 01:05:03 »
The parts are here yay so expect a big update soon, also working on getting sample for the Gateron optical inks! We may even have some vendors soon.

Offline paulgali

• SKME
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 04:18:27 »
This sure is interesting. I look forward to seeing where this goes :D

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 05:38:40 »
Interesting  :thumb:

Offline Prelim

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 08:07:19 »
excited!!  :cool:
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Swishy

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 01:37:27 »
Happy to see all of you so interested in the PCB, also have tons of info a about UHMWPE and optical that I am trying to make a good recording explaining it. All this support is very awesome though never did I think I would've been into keyboards let alone making stuff related to keyboards. Cant wait to show you guys what we have in store.  :D!!!!

Offline Prelim

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 05:25:45 »
any updates on the optical inks as well?
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Swishy

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 07:43:41 »
any updates on the optical inks as well?
Yes, They are gonna be making samples but they are busy right now due to new products releasing, but we have made actual progress.

Offline kohalified

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 02:33:33 »
Looking forward to getting a qmk compatible optical pcb!

Offline Swishy

Re: [IC] Optical Future: Custom Screws are in
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 06:20:46 »
really excited this project is so close to being done the Proto is here but it is having some issues that we have to fix, but the standoffs turned out great I am super happy with the CNC quality and they are super easy to use I am hoping in the future they can even be used for hot swap boards for extra support.

Offline paczki

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:44:12 »
Really excited to see that this is actually happening. I currently have a GK61 build and using Gateron Yellows. It sucks that we only have so little options at the moment for optical boards but I know there will be a great future for them. For now, I'll take it in that people hate me for using "budget" switches  :rolleyes:

Offline Swishy

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 22:45:14 »
small update: we are ordering a new round of pcbs we had a slight issue with the first one, but also the optical inks on their way to me as you read this!!!

Offline Prelim

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 02:57:53 »
Really excited for my next built! ISO pcb with optical inks  :thumb:

Offline Adriano

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 15 March 2021, 07:00:23 »
Really interested. Currently iam on a modded Keychron K6 with LK optical Reds, but iam planning to work on a Custom board and would love to have a optical PCB which fits into most common GB build houseings.

I plan to use Gateron Silver Silent Switches (already on the way to me) and looking currently around for a nice houseing for them. I really would love to see more optical Switch love here.

In my opinion optical switches are so much better.

Thanks so far for your work. WOuld really love to see this GB would start.

Offline pilsy

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 10:52:03 »
Do you happen to have any updates?  ;)

Offline Swishy

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 14:42:16 »
Do you happen to have any updates?  ;)

Hi swishy here,
  So, I actually have a ton of stuff to update in the background we have made some pretty big developments like got the QMK working and have a working PCB, but right now we are just having to go back and refine stuff. Such as a changing the MCU due to the shortages, and since for the protos we have to solder on all the individual IR and PT it takes a min to make a pcb whole. But we are almost ready to do another major update and when I say big I mean big.

Offline Shredpirate

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 10:33:56 »
Found out about this thread after searching for optical pcbs. I’ve been on LK switches going on 3 years now and can’t go back to mechanical. Going to be following this thread closely.

Offline Swishy

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 10:19:56 »
Just a small bump to let yall know this project is alive,
1st we are nearing the final version of the PCB just taking a lot longer due to MCU shortage
2nd The switches are confirmed and protos are made just waiting to be able to show you on pcb I have posted photos of them in the discord if you wanna see
3rd expect the GB to happen around end of Q3

Offline AlmightyBeing

Re: [IC] Optical Future: Custom Screws are in - still alive
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 23 August 2021, 11:38:50 »
Hello, I just found this thread after being told that making my own optical pcb wasn't possible, so first off, thankyou!

I purchased a keychron k3 when it was on kickstarter and opted for their in-house made optical switch and also bought an extra set of optical switches. Now I am in need of a numpad (and potentially different style keebs in the future) and since I have all these extra switches I want to put them to use. The optical sensors are below the stem on these switches so aren't directly compatible with what you are working on but if you're able to help me, I have some questions on how your pcb works.

1. I have basic electronics background from studying electronics engineering at uni (dropped out at the start of the pandemic, not paying a fortune to learn from home!) so as far as I can tell, the IR emitter just needs to be detected by the PT. But I don't know how to connect the pins to the pcb, especially if trying to make it compatible with standard firmware (how does qmk understand the 5 pins from each optical sensor when a normal mechanical switch only has 2/3?) Is it reliant on software or do you change it on the pcb itself?

2. How do you choose your optical sensors? Do I just need to find ones that fit the gaps in the switches I have?

3. Once I have compatible sensors and my board can convert the 5 pins to normal, everything else in the board is the same as a ordinary mechanical keyboard, right?

These might be dumb questions but I am new to a lot of this and using this as a project for some fun and to teach myself more about pcb design and electronics.

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 01:55:00 »
Does people not know that you can either
  • Buy a 60% optical PCB
  • Harvest PCBs from OEM boards
cmon.
Just read a bit more of the thread, and the project looks awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on some contactless Inks :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 August 2021, 01:58:00 by Nonnegaard »
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline ₳Ɽ₮₵ØⱤɆ

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 05:53:06 »
Just a small bump to let yall know this project is alive,
1st we are nearing the final version of the PCB just taking a lot longer due to MCU shortage
2nd The switches are confirmed and protos are made just waiting to be able to show you on pcb I have posted photos of them in the discord if you wanna see
3rd expect the GB to happen around end of Q3

What happened???

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 02 November 2023, 09:33:48 »
Still watching thread :)  I BELIEVE