Author Topic: PSA: STOP SPAMMING  (Read 373832 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: PSA: STOP SPAMMING
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 17:22:02 »
I'm new here, but reading the thread I get the feeling that everyone really wants to keep some parts of geekhack (almost) exclusive. Spamming in a PSA thread about spamming pretty much says "we don't care about you noobies, get off my lawn!". Just my 2 cents, as someone who is a newcomer.

How about just a portion of the keys made to be sold to outsiders, like maybe 10 out of a hundred or something. "Get your scraps here kids!" Probably a bad idea, but the current one isn't really that great.

The thing with spam is if it's all in one thread spy (the list of recently posted in threads) still has room for lots of other threads that are not full of spam - there is often one thread here where spamming is being overlooked.  Spamming this thread had the benefit that it kept it in spy so there was actually a chance of someone reading it but hidden down at the bottom of the forum few would otherwise!

In an ideal world everyone would play nice and we wouldn't need to filter who can enter a sale but we live in a world where some people buy caps just so they can sell them on straight away for a big profit - they are taking advantage of genuine newbies who have not been lucky in a sale yet (like yourself? Not sure how your luck is...) and this is not good for the community and is surely part of what Bro was attempting to stop.  You've only been here a couple of months and have over 200 posts so you know 50 was not a big ask, though starting a GB is kinda cheating :P

There were plenty of newbies during this period who appear genuinely interested rather than just joining to get to 50 and enter the sale and they are very welcome, just as you are.  If you think we're trying to keep all the caps for longtime-member selves look in therapy for many posts congratulating those who won their first sale - it's just not true :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 17:34:13 »
I'm new here, but reading the thread I get the feeling that everyone really wants to keep some parts of geekhack (almost) exclusive. Spamming in a PSA thread about spamming pretty much says "we don't care about you noobies, get off my lawn!". Just my 2 cents, as someone who is a newcomer.

How about just a portion of the keys made to be sold to outsiders, like maybe 10 out of a hundred or something. "Get your scraps here kids!" Probably a bad idea, but the current one isn't really that great.

The thing with spam is if it's all in one thread spy (the list of recently posted in threads) still has room for lots of other threads that are not full of spam - there is often one thread here where spamming is being overlooked.  Spamming this thread had the benefit that it kept it in spy so there was actually a chance of someone reading it but hidden down at the bottom of the forum few would otherwise!

In an ideal world everyone would play nice and we wouldn't need to filter who can enter a sale but we live in a world where some people buy caps just so they can sell them on straight away for a big profit - they are taking advantage of genuine newbies who have not been lucky in a sale yet (like yourself? Not sure how your luck is...) and this is not good for the community and is surely part of what Bro was attempting to stop.  You've only been here a couple of months and have over 200 posts so you know 50 was not a big ask, though starting a GB is kinda cheating :P

There were plenty of newbies during this period who appear genuinely interested rather than just joining to get to 50 and enter the sale and they are very welcome, just as you are.  If you think we're trying to keep all the caps for longtime-member selves look in therapy for many posts congratulating those who won their first sale - it's just not true :)

I'm not sure if I ever tried joining BroCaps' sale (I probably did at some point), I only remember joining adamski's T800 giveaway, and yes I did not get anything. I'm bad at draws and raffles, I just join Hot Keys' sales and War of Betrayal to keep disappointment to a minimum.  :))

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 13:27:37 »
What a crazy forum management issue.

Most forum software have a minimum word count that can be set for a post to even be submitted.  I just set that high enough so that a real thought has to be written out for a post to even be submitted.  Never really had an issue with the post count bloaters even when I did giveaways that were based on post count.

I think it more has to do with people not really caring about the community and just wanting the caps. It looks like their theory is to just spend a day on geekhack, build up enough posts, and only care about the bros. Some people it seems like have ended up staying because they enjoy it here so at least we got a few new members that will be staying. :thumb:

Is it the plastic, instead of the friendship? That sucks.
Sad state of the world isn't it?  Which happiness lasts longer--plastic or friendship?

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #303 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:00:29 »
I really don't want Bro Caps. I'm sure they're very nice but they just don't float my boat.

If I want custom key caps I'll make them myself. 8-)

Offline Connly33

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 05:36:39 »
I only joined yesterday ( well maybe 4 days ago)  and already have 25 posts, and i signed up not even knowing about any of the sales or anything, i'm just genuinely interested in stuff in the forum, not just keyboard stuff, and most members seem pretty awesome :p.  I'm more interested in threads about doing your own custom DIY keycaps than the group buys or anything at the time being.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2015, 05:39:28 by Connly33 »

Custom 60% with Cherry MX Clear

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #305 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 10:17:59 »
It only took life a week of quality posting for me several posts. Ripster is the reason I ever found this forum.  :))
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #306 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 10:33:35 »
It only took life a week of quality posting for me several posts. Ripster is the reason I ever found this forum.  :))

Which I feel like we should thank him

jokes aside...

He gives us great advertising and actually gives us some quality members.

People who get sick of his child like antics over at /mk and want to participate in more then just shoes and pokers usually come over here.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #307 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 10:34:58 »
does this count towards my post count?

RIP brotha
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #308 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 10:39:32 »

jokes aside...

People who get sick of his child like antics over at /mk and want to participate in more then just shoes and pokers usually come over here.

I came here from reddit for Bro sales, mostly. I like both forums though. There are some real good shoe pictures on reddit!

It's also interesting to see how much Clacks sell for, and Ripster posts up recently-closed eBay sales. I wish he would make an Excel sheet or something for it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #309 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 13:17:31 »

jokes aside...

I came here from reddit for Bro sales, mostly. I like both forums though. There are some real good shoe pictures on reddit!

It's also interesting to see how much Clacks sell for, and Ripster posts up recently-closed eBay sales. I wish he would make an Excel sheet or something for it.

GH has a show thread.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #310 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 13:20:02 »

jokes aside...

GH has a show thread.

Yeah, but reddit gets stuff like this:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 13:21:38 »

jokes aside...

GH has a show thread.

Show Image

How can we even compete?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #312 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 13:22:38 »

jokes aside...

GH has a show thread.

Show Image

How can we even compete?

Your winning personality keeps me around.  :thumb:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #313 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 13:27:39 »

jokes aside...

GH has a show thread.

Show Image

How can we even compete?

Better just shut things down, we can't...

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #314 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 18:13:58 »
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #315 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 13:37:40 »
Is this PSA still relephant now that we may be getting that Spam star?  :):))

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #316 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 13:50:25 »

Nice necro. Brought back some bad memories.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #317 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 13:54:02 »

There was a spam post by a new user before that, looks like the mods deleted it.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #318 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 13:56:08 »

Ooh, sorry. Didn't know I'd rustle jimmies. I swear that it was not my intention.  :-[
Also, it didn't give me the necro warning so I thought it was fair play (last post right before Xmas).  :'(

Sorry, njbair.   :(

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #319 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 14:00:07 »

Ooh, sorry. Didn't know I'd rustle jimmies. I swear that it was not my intention.  :-[
Also, it didn't give me the necro warning so I thought it was fair play (last post right before Xmas).  :'(

Didn't mean for that to sound like I was upset. But honestly when I saw that thread title pop up in unread I shuddered a bit. But it was just an annoying phase, thankfully.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline crickclackman

« Reply #320 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 16:45:21 »

Spam star?

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #321 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 16:47:50 »

A relephant?

Didn't mean for that to sound like I was upset. But honestly when I saw that thread title pop up in unread I shuddered a bit. But it was just an annoying phase, thankfully.

Was this the phase where people had to have a minimum score count for sales?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #322 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 16:51:36 »

A relephant?

Yes, that's the one. It was a dark, dark time.

My boards:
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #323 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 16:53:34 »

A relephant?

Well, it's not irrelephant.  :rolleyes:

And yeah, I'm thinking it was brought about because of the Monster Mash sale when newbies would come in and spam post just to get that count up. Half of them were entertaining, but the other half did get pretty annoying--really fast.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #324 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 16:55:03 »

A relephant?

And yeah, I'm thinking it was brought about because of the Monster Mash sale when newbies would come in and spam post just to get that count up. Half of them were entertaining, but the other half did get pretty annoying--really fast.
I bet you had a lot of people posting in Off Topic because that's the easiest section to post in, only to realize it didn't count. XD

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #325 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:00:49 »

A relephant?

I bet you had a lot of people posting in Off Topic because that's the easiest section to post in, only to realize it didn't count. XD
It was everywhere. Completely meaningless posts in every thread. There were times you could pull up Spy and watch a single user spam ten threads in a row.

My boards:
More

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #326 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:10:13 »

A relephant?

It was everywhere. Completely meaningless posts in every thread. There were times you could pull up Spy and watch a single user spam ten threads in a row.
Well thank you for the history lesson! I shall go back to spamming other threads now.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #327 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:16:39 »

A relephant?

Well thank you for the history lesson! I shall go back to spamming other threads now.
It got so bad that the mods disabled post counting on every subforum to eliminate the incentive to spam.

My boards:
More

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #328 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:17:48 »
More

A relephant?

It got so bad that the mods disabled post counting on every subforum to eliminate the incentive to spam.

Those were indeed some dark days.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #329 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:20:54 »

This is what I sort of do - I go to unread topics, open in a new tab for everything I want to read, mark the rest as read then read/post. Feel like a **** now. :blank:

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #330 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:27:32 »

This is what I sort of do - I go to unread topics, open in a new tab for everything I want to read, mark the rest as read then read/post. Feel like a **** now. :blank:
Nah, that's fine. It's when 50 people are doing it and all they're posting is like, "wow, cool" or "nice," that kind of thing.

My boards:
More

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #331 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:29:21 »

There's nothing wrong with posting a lot, just make your comments worth the time it takes for you to click post.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #332 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 00:44:52 »
cool keyboard

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #333 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 11:07:08 »

A relephant?

It was funny for about 5 mins. But when you could check 10 pages you'd been following and not see any name you recognized, or any actual new content, it got real old real fast.

But if a spam star happens Im going TP this shizzz.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline VivaGardner

• * Destiny Supporter
  • www.gboarding.com
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 15:29:04 »
Can someone up-ban me or mute me from Bro Caps board?  I would like to post some pictures of my Bro Cap and not really sure why I was banned.  It's been a long time since I've posted, so if I did something wrong please let me know and hopefully time served is good?
Even good dogs go wild

Offline joey

« Reply #335 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 15:31:07 »
Can someone up-ban me or mute me from Bro Caps board?  I would like to post some pictures of my Bro Cap and not really sure why I was banned.  It's been a long time since I've posted, so if I did something wrong please let me know and hopefully time served is good?
The threads there are currently locked for everyone.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #336 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 15:31:24 »

Which thread?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #337 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 15:37:20 »
This thread just gets weirder and weirder with age.

Offline kingpilcrow

« Reply #338 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 15:41:09 »
BroCaps discovered the secret to stop spamming.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #339 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 10:11:13 »

You're not banned; bro locked the threads.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #340 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 21:42:48 »
I have been accused of spamming but I just post a lot of stuff way too fast.
hi.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #341 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 15:33:41 »
Guys pls no spam....

Mr matrianman