Author Topic: [IC] Infinikey 808-Boom (GB Closed) - in production & donation made  (Read 31713 times)

Offline Langelandia

I wanted to share with everyone here that the payment towards the charity has been processed. TheKey.Company was exceedingly generous and rounded their donation up more than $500 additional dollar to make it a full $7000 that went to Children's Music Fund - We are currently working with the charity to get a receipt of payment so we can share that with you and TKC is writing up a full blog post about the whole thing.

From the president of CMF, Ronda Grech:

"What a remarkable response to your custom design! Congratulations!! Your fans where so kind with providing their support too. We saw incredible traffic to our website on the promotion weekend and an increase in social followers.

On behalf of our board, volunteers, therapists, and most importantly, the amazing children we help, thank you for making a difference in their lives. Your generosity will provide 140 Music Therapy sessions to children in need. Please stay in touch. You will always be a part of our CMF Family."

Thank you to all who joined and supported the CMF in other ways. Big <3 to you

Welcome to the Interest Check for Infinikey 808-Boom! Here's the form.

THIS BUY WILL BE LIVE ON JULY 31ST - We will be giving away stuff on 8/08 to make up for not launching on the best day of days.

TTYlerdurden of C.Y.O Keycaps, Thatcliff, and I have teamed up to bring y’all a keyset inspired by one of the most iconic devices in music production and beat making.

The device is a drum machine that was manufactured in the early 1980s and has continued to influence drum beats for decades. It was one of the first to allow producers to program beats instead of having to choose from preset sounds and patterns. It was discontinued from production after only 12,000 units were made. Between the difficulty of stocking the semiconductors used, and analog synthesis sounds being ahead of their time (pre-electronic/hip-hop), the machine was eventually replaced by a later model.

The device features some of the most recognizable percussion sounds in music history and has been used on more hit records (either originally, or through track sampling) than any other drum machine. The booming bass lines, crisp snare, classic cymbals, and renowned congas, cowbells, and handclaps are what make this machine's sounds so celebrated and sampled.

We are proud to say that we are partnering with Children’s Music Fund. They are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit dedicated to bringing music therapy into the lives of sick children to help overcome pain, fear, and anxiety. We are donating 100% of designer profit. TheKey.Company is also adding to this amount so that each Bass Kit sale will give $10 directly to the Children's Music Fund, and a portion of the sales from every additional item sold will directly contribute to the Fund.

We set out to produce a set that we were passionate about, as well as use the power of design for a greater good. We spent a lot of time considering how to support 40s folks, as well as Alice layout users, and boards of all sizes. We strived to design this set in such a way that it remains visually consistent throughout almost any keyboard layout, yet also offers users a range of options. We appreciate your feedback and insights, and look forward to your support in the future as we look to take this set through group buy.

A FUN NOTE

Initially, I had begun development with my brother on a similar set several months back; however, we hit a wall and let it sit to try and figure out how to execute it well. Recently, C.Y.O sent me a mockup of the set he was designing. We learned that we had been working on the same concept completely independently of one another! It was at that moment, we knew we had to team up. It’s funny how life works, eh?

INFO

Pricing: $100 Bass Kit
Profile: Cherry
Sculpt: 1-1-2-3-4-4
Legends: Dye Sublimation
Plastic: Infinikey PBT

COLORS

For the white and black, we've chosen very specific colors that are already used in the infinikey WoB and BoW sets so you can mix and match if you wish. Here are also some other sets that have used similar colors:

Slate: Pantone Cool Grey 8 CP, Pantone Cool Grey 10 XGC
Muted: Cool Gray 5 C, Cool Gray 1 C
GrayScale: Cool Gray 5 C, Cool Gray 1 C

THE STUFF

BASS KIT (Base) $100

TRAP KIT (Support)

CYMBALS (Novelties)

RHYTHM MAT (Deskpad)

RENDERS

If you want even more, here's the whole kit and caboodle.

AUSTIN

EVOLV

J-02

RUKIA

VENDORS

NE COLLABS AVAIL

• Loki / SMOrca
  • Glyph - Bass Face
  • ZapCables - Zap will be offering two different DIY kits for this: one fore audio cables and one for computer cables using this sleeving and your choices
  • Spacecables - Space will be doing a cable collab buy with a fun quick connect

PROTOTYPE & COLOR MATCHING

We're currently waiting on the *prototype to arrive to us; however, the manu shared a picture.

*Not all keys may be included in prototype, it's to test stuff and whatnot

We've got the physical pantones in-hand for matching purposes as well (low light pic)

More information to come about these in the coming days.

FAQ

This section originally caused some pretty heated opinions originally. We never meant to be offensive, we just wanted to lean into some meme keyboard life. That said, we absolutely have taken feedback and updated accordingly (noted below). We've left these original FAQs for posterity, but remember: we were honestly kidding and genuinely appreciate the feedback. <3

Why the price?
This set uses a high number of dyes, which requires more time under the dye sublimation machine. And since time=money, it simply costs more and we want to make sure money goes to the charity. Aether and Graen had very similar pricing for comparison, too.

I don’t see support for ____?
-Support deez kids, yo.
(y'all...it's a MF joke...fill out the form if we missed support for your keyboard...)

What are the dimensions of the mat?
-900 mm x 400 mm

Isn’t this just a <whatever color> GMK <whatever comparative set>?
-No

I don’t like the colored row of alphas.
-Noted.

Can we have all the ___kana sublegeds?
-No

Love the effort behind this set, but come on... another ____ set?
-Yes, sorry...will tone it down a little next time.

Where’s my normal text mod legends?!?
-The colors were chosen so that if you are looking for a more ordinary keyset experience, you can mix and match to your heart’s desire with other standard BoW or WoB sets. <3

UPDATES

As mentioned above in the FAQ section, we did take your feedback and have made some changes as a result:
  • Instagram: guilherme57d - Having the ISO ¼ plug cable come from the top left and into the plug, with the plug facing down (altered ISO plug novelty as a result)
  • GH: depletedvespene \ Discord: NorrittMTG#1661 \ Reddit: codecoffeecode - Better ISO compat / UK ISO compat (rounded out the compat to better suit ISO)
  • Discord: NGP--windd - R3 1u enter maybe? (boom)
  • Reddit: Dminus313 - I'd like to see keys with "Start/Stop" and "Tap" legends on here somewhere. Maybe on the shift or ctrl keys? I think the space bar could be a good place for "Start/Stop," since that's the default functionality of the space bar in most music players and DAWs. (We ended up adding a STOP key to the Trap Kit to keep the "normal" shift keys consistent, but we did add one)
  • Lots of People from all platforms: Downvotes on "beat it" on bars (changed to "Computer Controlled")
  • Reddit: ZurgEon, PizzaPhone - R0/R5? (Infinkey does not have those molds unfortunately.)

THANKS

First and foremost HUGE thank you to NathanAlphaMan for his tireless commitment to excellence in renders. Without you the true vision of this set could not have been realized. Thank you for your GENEROUS donation of time, critical eye for detail and perfection, and utmost display of professionalism.
  • TravCliff for the shared original inspiration for the set.
  • Special thanks to Chewwy, Osiris, Quakemz, Jae, Minterly, TheGlyph, Meatsmoothies, and Mr.Keebs. for all their late night critiques as we progressed through putting this together. Your thoughts and insights were invaluable, and we appreciate you!
  • Miguel Farah for ISO feedback
  • DiscoCroc you’re an absolute legend.

SOCIALS AND STAYING UPDATED

Langelandia: Discord | Insta
C.Y.O. Caps: Insta

If you’d like to support the set, feel free to add this to your signature (updating after first posting):
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106428.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/DeQXW2M.png[/img][/url]
Thank you so much for looking through <3
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2020, 13:20:26 by Langelandia »

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
Re: [IC] Infinikey 808-Boom
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:43:31 »
Nice. Although I think I would prefer the gradient in the f-row or number row.

Offline Abec13

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:43:42 »
Fixed this for you
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline fropsie

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:44:46 »
Oh my.... I can only get so erect

Offline Rejeckted

• Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum... I smell Kraft dinnah
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:45:24 »
wow this looks amazing

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:48:24 »
I don't understand, every infinikey set so far has had the extensions kit that supports 40s and ortho and other layouts, yet you mock the idea of people asking for that support the Manu has consistently shown?

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:49:26 »
Psyched to see this finally get to IC ❤️❤️❤️

Offline fropsie

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:54:35 »
Love the effort behind this set, but come on... another TR-808 set? This isn't more-so directed to you OP, as the effort behind this is obviously there, and there is thought behind it, but I am sick of the constant IC posts themed after the TR-808. Its just too much at this point. People gotta tone it down a little with these constant TR-808 themed keyset posts. Its like every other week another one pops up.

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:56:34 »
glwic
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline equalunique

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:57:46 »
Love the effort behind this set, but come on... another TR-808 set? This isn't more-so directed to you OP, as the effort behind this is obviously there, and there is thought behind it, but I am sick of the constant IC posts themed after the TR-808. Its just too much at this point. People gotta tone it down a little with these constant TR-808 themed keyset posts. Its like every other week another one pops up.
What was the other TR-808 keyset?

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:07:03 »
Great job on the IC copy, my dude. I've heard of this drum machine in passing, but was not aware of its historical significance. The colors and design are amazing, and the donations are for a worthy cause. Count me in.

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:08:35 »

Lmao
Tell em, we demand difference!

Offline fropsie

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:13:16 »

Lmao

LOL <3

Offline SlipperyPeteED

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:14:58 »
So you posted an IC but you dont want layout feedback??

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:20:34 »
Nice. Although I think I would prefer the gradient in the f-row or number row.

We actually tried this but it pulled away from the intended look of the set. We wanted to mimic the layout of the TR-808 itself.

Thanks for taking a peek <3

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:22:16 »
I don't understand, every infinikey set so far has had the extensions kit that supports 40s and ortho and other layouts, yet you mock the idea of people asking for that support the Manu has consistently shown?

You misunderstand us, friend. We chose this manu because[/] of their support. We mock the knee-jerk reaction for so many to ask for support on literally every keyset ever.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:25:08 »

You misunderstand us, friend. We chose this manu because[/] of their support. We mock the knee-jerk reaction for so many to ask for support on literally every keyset ever.
Right, people asking for support for a keyboard they use must be intolerable to the point of arrogance as a reaction. Good luck with the set!

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:27:40 »
Hey, I have a keyboard. It needs some key caps. I think this will do just fine.

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:31:03 »

Lmao

LOL <3

<3 <3 💕❤💖

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:37:21 »

Right, people asking for support for a keyboard they use must be intolerable to the point of arrogance as a reaction. Good luck with the set!

Thank you for your opinion on the matter. There is a field in the interest check form where you may voice your concerns re: support.

I hope you have a fantastic day.

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:38:18 »
Show Image

There's a field in the form where such feedback is not only encouraged, but mightily welcomed <3

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:39:17 »
I... uuuuh...

You just know what I'm going to comment on, though.

I know - I honestly missed your comment from the previous set's ISO support - I'll need to loop back and see what adjustments we should/could make. <3

Offline ©ypher

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:45:05 »
This is sick.

Offline Inner-Ear

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:45:56 »
Damn dude that is sick

Offline pendemon

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 13:22:34 »
🔥 🔥 🔥

I’m in!

Now who do I bribe for matching CYO artisans?

Offline riChip

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 14:13:14 »
YEAH

Offline Baionlenja

• +B
    • www.baionlenja.com
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 14:51:12 »
Amazing, this is so good!

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 15:04:45 »
Very weird yet very cool.

Offline BubbleheadBrett

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 16:03:01 »
i am here for this!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 16:31:50 »
This is one of those sets where I’m sorta sad the theme isn’t up my alley because it’s so good at what it does.

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 16:33:20 »
This is one of those sets where I’m sorta sad the theme isn’t up my alley because it’s so good at what it does.

Ez Pz, you build a new alley  :thumb:

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 16:54:41 »
Oh I’m trying. I might have an easier time designing GMK Wright Giemsa.

Offline Zurg Eon

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:20:35 »
Whoa! Very cool, I like it. Listen to 808 State, yo.

Offline DiscoCrocodile

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:32:51 »
l e g e n d a r y

Offline CYO

• Designer + Keymaker
    • Instagram
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:58:47 »
🔥 🔥 🔥

I’m in!

Now who do I bribe for matching CYO artisans?

It will be done.

Offline CYO

• Designer + Keymaker
    • Instagram
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 18:09:03 »
Show Image

Sorry if this upset you. I thought we communicated fairly well in the IC text that we spent a great deal of time ensuring that 40s, Alice style layouts, etc all had support. We went to detailed length to make sure that this set looks consistent across all board sizes, and layout combos. We wanted to include as many people as possible and very much encourage feedback and suggestions via the IC form. If you have input I would love to hear it, and have as much input as possible on how to make this set even better. Always looking to improve. In any case, thanks for taking the time to comment, and I hope to hear your thoughts!

Offline Takata

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 19:25:26 »
I honestly don’t understand all the hate. Unless I’m ignorant I feel like 808 isn’t that overdone with a new ic every week. I really only remember dsa 808 but if a new form factor is a crime then, you have a lot of other sets to toss shade to. If anything the anime inspired weeb sets are fatiguing, and those are undeniably the trend right now.

Set looks great, glad more cherry profile pbt sets are being made

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 19:33:51 »
I honestly don’t understand all the hate. Unless I’m ignorant I feel like 808 isn’t that overdone with a new ic every week. I really only remember dsa 808 but if a new form factor is a crime then, you have a lot of other sets to toss shade to. If anything the anime inspired weeb sets are fatiguing, and those are undeniably the trend right now.

Set looks great, glad more cherry profile pbt sets are being made

Fropsie started a copypasta while back and is using it here to great effect

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 19:43:52 »
I like this set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 21:30:50 »
I would love for this to be GMK 808-Boom, but I completely understand with the type and amount of novelties.
I'm in. No feedback yet.

Offline SlipperyPeteED

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 22:19:09 »
Show Image

Sorry if this upset you. I thought we communicated fairly well in the IC text that we spent a great deal of time ensuring that 40s, Alice style layouts, etc all had support. We went to detailed length to make sure that this set looks consistent across all board sizes, and layout combos. We wanted to include as many people as possible and very much encourage feedback and suggestions via the IC form. If you have input I would love to hear it, and have as much input as possible on how to make this set even better. Always looking to improve. In any case, thanks for taking the time to comment, and I hope to hear your thoughts!

It didnt upset me, just baffled me that on an IC for a product, the designer went through the effort of telling people not to give feedback on the layout.

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 02:14:55 »
imo you are tapping into something that a lot of designers are missing altogether. your design takes the keyboard as a whole and throws out all the norms of alpha mods, that quite frankly is exhausted, and using the keyboard as a canvas for something u saw, this audio controller, to bring to life the aesthetic thereof. there are other designs that do this, but you seem to have done it with bold simplicity, and it looks great. good job. i dont know if i’ll have the money, unless there is an accents kit, BUT good luck.
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline LostGoatOnHill

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:07:34 »
In Yer Face! Love it, in

Offline VXQN

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:27:06 »
Love the theme (and have thought about designing a keyset around it myself) but this is a little too busy for my taste, too many glyphs/icons everywhere. Good luck with it though!

Offline Seoulcialite

• MechSeoul
« Reply #45 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 13:55:46 »
Great set Lang! Not quite sure how I feel about it but I do appreciate the creativity that went into the set. GL!

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
, bu
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 17:16:12 »
I'm assuming Fropsie was being facetious based on the FAQ, but I have seen DSA 808, and I like this better.
I hope Kokaloo comes back, understanding it was a joke that didn't come across well because, well... sarcasm is hard on the internet without facial expressions, and also because sarcasm is kinda just insulting if a person's not in the mood.
BUT I think I get the feeling that Lang and CYO are committed to having more compatibility than most sets--they just need your input because there are so many esoteric sets/keys out there.
I'm excited for this set.

Offline Steak

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 18:05:10 »
I absolutely love the color scheme. I'm not crazy about all the glyphs but I really appreciate a less understated set.

This is very specific but if it's in your wheelhouse I'm sure it hits all the right notes (sorry)

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 12:26:04 »
I've managed to avoid group buys, and didn't even have a geekhack account until I saw this set posted in reddit.
...and well...
Here I am.

Offline danox574

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 13:42:48 »
I only came to say your design and the way you’ve pulled the 808 appearance and design into keys is quite brilliant.