Author Topic: Serial Mouse and PS/2 Touchpad simultaneous use  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Oqsy

Serial Mouse and PS/2 Touchpad simultaneous use
« on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 20:19:24 »
I have a Logitech M-M35 Serial Mouse and a Cherry MX11900 with the built in touch pad.  I'd like to be able to use both, but so far I've found that I'm having a hard time adjusting the settings for each independently of the other.

I'd like the mouse speed (sensitivity) to be increased, and the touch pad to be decreased.  I was hoping that the fact that one is PS/2 and the other is Serial would allow me some latitude in making adjustments.

I've since tried installing the Logitech Mouse Manager software that is specifically for the M-M35 Serial Mouse and the Synaptics Touch drivers.  When I go to Control Panel, Windows now sees the two separate devices, but it doesn't really know what the heck the Serial Mouse is or where it's connected anymore.  Lots of "unknown" values in the properties for that device.  The touch pad, however, is functioning perfectly except for the excessive sensitivity to motion.  

There are situations (gestures in web browsing for instance, love the zoom in/zoom out gestures when viewing web pages / images online) where the touch pad is preferable to me.  There are other times (Photoshop, games, general computer navigation) when the mouse is much more fluid and logical.  

Is there a way I can separate the way Windows (XP Home, btw) handles these two devices so that I can dial in the sensitivity, double click speed, etc. that I prefer?
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 20:21:31 »
AFAIK you can't get independent control for device sensitivity in Windows. It relates to the way that the devices, while they all have their own drivers, become "combined as one" on a software level.

Nice touch with the M-M35 though. They're decent mice.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 March 2010, 20:29:49 »
I think I have it pretty much nailed as far as my needs are concerned.  I found some additional settings in the Synaptics panel that I wasn't aware were available.  Adding the momentum/glide feature and toying with the sensitivity in that menu did the trick.  I wouldn't mind the M-M35 being a bit more frisky, but it is definitely usable at it's current setting.  I'm still playing with gesture support for this board, it appears to be hit and miss for different groups of gestures...  I'll have to do some more research as to what all is possible with the Cherry touch pad from the MX11900 (I just chose Synaptics drivers because I know how widespread they are and was pretty sure they'd support most generic / legacy touch pads; there might be a driver suite that's more well suited to this specific piece of hardware)
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."