Author Topic: HOWTO: Program your KMAC  (Read 14290 times)

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
HOWTO: Program your KMAC
« on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 00:03:17 »
I recently acquired a KMAC Mini and a KMAC Happy, and had a bit of trouble finding a clear guide to installing the right software and reprogramming them. After a lot of research, i finally figured it out and thought i'd share my knowledge. Most of this can be found in other places, even in other threads, but theres no single concise guide.

Prerequisites:
KMAC Programming Tool
KMAC Software can be found on Listokei's website here: http://www.listokei.com/keymapping/
Just in case it goes down, i've also placed the downloads in my dropbox
Happy - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2270991/happy_deploy(20130530).zip
Others - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2270991/kmac_program.zip

ATMEL Flip
http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx

Instructions

step one: download the ATMEL FLIP installer, install it
step two: download the appropriate KMAC deployer (theres one for the happy, everything else uses to standard one)
step three: i've found that the KMAC programs work best when they are in the simplest path you can manage. i put them in the system room (c:\KMAC and c:\KMAC_Happy).
step four: launch the KMAC program
step five: click import, and select the provided default file for your keyboard (KMACMiniKeyMap etc). customize it as you desire. pretty straightforward. you can hit the "Function Key Map" and "Macro Key Map" radio buttons to customize those layers as well.
step six: when you're done, click export and save the file. i recommend using a different filename, and not using spaces or any weird characters. keep it simple.
step seven: click "Make Hex" button. A window will launch and do some stuff, then close. its sometimes hard to tell if this step worked. if the window disappears before you can see anything, chances are it didn't. you can also check the directory for a .hex file matching the export name. if it didn't work, i've found this is typically because the KMAC folder path is too weird (see step three)
step eight: click the "Run Flip" buton. the atmel flip util will launch.
step nine: click the computer chip icon or menu item device > select, then select the ATmega32U4 device, and hit okay.
step ten: this is the step i always forget. unplug the keyboard, hold down the caps lock key (its always the same key, regardless of what you remap it to) then plug it back in. you may need to install a new driver. if so, navigate to the ATMEL install directory (typically c:/program files/Atmel/Flip X.X.X (version)/usb)
step eleven: once the DFU device finishes installing, click the usb cable icon or click settings > communications, then USB, then the open button.
step twelve: click file > load hex file, and select the hex file from the KMAC directory matching the name of the file you exported
step thirteen: click the run button under "Operations Flow". it should go through erase, blank check, program, verify. If it doesn't. try re-selecting the hex file.
step fourteen: click start application, making sure the reset box is checked. the keyboard should reboot into normal mode, fully programmed!

I will be updating this post at some point in the near future once i get some screenshots together. If you've had a different experience, other tips, etc, please post them for posterity.

« Last Edit: Sun, 13 October 2013, 00:06:18 by acantha »
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
Re: HOWTO: Program your KMAC
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 20:32:54 »
Thanks for putting this together! This will be very useful for people with KMACs.  :thumb:
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 20:35:23 »
You can also use Hasu's firmware ;D
I love Elzy

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 20:58:12 »

i'm not familiar with that one. if you wanna write up how to use it, i'll edit the original post and include it.

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 23:13:17 »
Oh. Intruction programming for KMAC by English. Great !!!

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 00:39:44 »

cool! i did some googling to find the firmware you're referring to. i didn't know such a project existed. it can be found here for the curious: https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 01:11:59 »
Yeah sorry I'll post instructions when I wake up.. I do it a ton so might as well just copy paste here a simplified fool proof guide
I love Elzy

Offline Steven

• Formerly lowyatguy
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 21:13:47 »
Thanks for the write-up acantha, I've been looking for one of this guide in English. Will try that when I have time.
Also will be waiting for Sifo for the instruction of the Hasu's firmware, wonder what's the different with this?

Maybe some additional features like below?
Breathing Sleep LED - Sleep indicator with charm during USB suspend
LF: Duck Mini V1 aka Duck Poker Case
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49840.0
-----------------------------------------------------
KMAC Happy | Hammer Poker Titanium & Silver | Leopold FC660M | FILCO TKL White | Ducky 9008S2 Pink | Ducky 9008G2 Pro Dye Sub | Ducky YOTD

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 18:47:30 »
Thanks for the guide! Now that I got a K mini, I thought I would try to reprogram it. I followed all your steps up to Step seven. However when I click "Make hex", command prompt opens then immediately closes. It does not create a hex file. I have the program in the root of the C drive like you suggested. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 22:06:42 »
After getting a question in IRC, if it is your first time and you can't get Flip to find your KMAC even though it is in programming mode, try looking at the second post in my old thread:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40852.msg812989#msg812989
Steps 7 and 8

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 04:31:43 »
Thank you for writing this. Now for the time to reprogram my KMAC!  :)

Offline moogle

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 November 2013, 22:48:33 »
Yeah sorry I'll post instructions when I wake up.. I do it a ton so might as well just copy paste here a simplified fool proof guide

copy&paste, please!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 20:22:55 »
Thought I'd bump this with a question: does anyone still have their KMAC / KMAC Happy software installed and functioning?  I cannot get mine to run on either of my home computers (one with Win 8.1 and the other with Win 7), in any compatibility mode or with admin privileges--the keymapping software executable just doesn't load anything.  I am using the file set hosted by Acantha in the links in the OP, as Litster's files are no longer accessible.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline moogle

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 20:37:35 »
Thought I'd bump this with a question: does anyone still have their KMAC / KMAC Happy software installed and functioning?  I cannot get mine to run on either of my home computers (one with Win 8.1 and the other with Win 7), in any compatibility mode or with admin privileges--the keymapping software executable just doesn't load anything.  I am using the file set hosted by Acantha in the links in the OP, as Litster's files are no longer accessible.

maybe try this: http://www.listokei.com/keymapping/

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 20:45:30 »

maybe try this: http://www.listokei.com/keymapping/

Bolded for emphasis :(  The links are there, but the downloads are not available.  Acantha re-hosted them in the OP, and that's where I got my software that I have trouble with. 

Offline kampongkid

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 July 2015, 13:04:18 »

Did you ever have any luck with this?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 18:26:22 »

Did you ever have any luck with this?

Nope, never got any working version of the keymapping software and had no luck editing an XML manually and compiling afterwards.  Someone kindly agreed to create a keymap HEX on their computer with some changes that I had specified, so I used that firmware file.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:14:59 »
Send me a PM if you guys want a copy of the KMAC programming software. I have a copy saved on my desktop.

Edit-

Uploaded it onto Mega for you guys:

https://mega.co.nz/#!Msc3AIgB!8cB0hz_26nZRa7tEOImcfNjgAe07VN-feoWg8UgDFpI
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 July 2015, 22:54:34 by Dreamre »

Offline kampongkid

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 July 2015, 21:54:55 »
Thanks for the replies (and upload)! Much appreciated :)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 03:31:02 »
Sorry for bumping a old thread, but I thought it was a appropriate to post my question here before starting a new one.

Has anyone had any problems with the Lock LEDs (CapsLock/ScrollLock) not working on your just assembled KMAC2?

I used new LEDs that I got from Sprits GB a while ago.  They are probably a little over a year old.

I haven't tried to re-flash the firmware yet as I don't need to change the layout.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 02:09:05 »
Bumping old thread

Currently having problem mapping my KMAC Mini, I followed the guide here for my other KMACs and it works
but not on my Mini

I managed to get to the last steps , but after writing the Hex into the board with flip; the board seems to be not recognized after restart/replug "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed"

any input would be appreciated
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo