Author Topic: If you had to start over...  (Read 4380 times)

Offline thefunkyprimer

If you had to start over...
« on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 04:30:37 »
So, instead of adding to the forums collection of "What should I buy?!" threads, I thought I'd ask in a way that was a little more fun.

Knowing everything you know now, after all the money and time you've put into your boards, what would you put together if you could build just one keyboard.

Your perfect board. Case/switches/caps/etc. Go.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
Re: If you had to start over...
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 04:34:19 »
An IBM model M, blue label, with the drainage channels.  RGB from unicomp and the rest two piece caps.  SDL to USB cable.  I would also support a project to build a metal or wooden case for the M. 
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 04:36:24 »
I'm happy with my grey/graphite FC700R w/ brown switches ;)

Although if I could go back... I'd get one with reds and if possible, blank caps, then lube and sticker the switches. If I couldn't find one with blanks then a blue/grey imsto set shouldn't hurt either.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 04:37:36 »
Complete custom build 104 key (U.K. Layout) The entire build to be made from Titanium out fitted with DSA Reto and a Titanium Spacebar all on Black/Blue switches (i would like 2 boards; one for gaming and one for typing)

Although I would also go for a Poker II (or GH60 if I could find one) there will be plenty of Aluminum cases going around; and I would fancy some ergo-clears on there.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 04:41:07 »
Saphire spherical retro profile cad cam custom made keycaps Full set and a PBT dye sub olivetti white/blue set, MX green switch w/golden springs, Red cherry esc key, color adjustable leds, Titanium space bar, Alu or Ti body as simple as possible, metal cable cord.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 04:54:30 »
I have been pretty lucky.

I would not have bought a Steelseries keyboard with blacks. But this was about 5 years go, and the availability of mechanical keyboards in my country was really limited. I would not have switched to red later on either.

Instead I would have gone straight for the Filco Tenkeyless (or full when at work) with browns that I am using now. I really have no complaints. I am a big fan of the "white on black"/Piano look, so I would get the same white PBT keycaps that I have now. I think blanks look great, but for programming and latex, they are a damn pain in the ass, so the light grey font I have now is fine and looks good. I am not sure whether I would add orings. I do now, but part of that is necessity.

Even novelty keywise I have nothing to ask for. I have a matched Click Clack arrow set and skull + escape key. I have been hunting for a matching set like that ever since I saw a pick of Reaper's Camo filco with match arrows + skull on overclock.net. I got demotivated when I found out this was something almost unattainable, but then got superlucky. I even added a brobot that works well the other colors on the keyboard. The last thing I want to add is a custom cable ( it is in the mail ). Once I have that, I pretty much have my dream keyboard ! I thought about replacing the case with something cool, but the problem is that I like the "white on black" look so much, that I really do not want to use anything other than the stock case.

So yeah, the answer had to be not much. I feel like all the purchases I made leading up to the keyboards I have now, were sort of necessary to know what my preferences were. And if I had not bought that Steelseries 7G on a whim, who knows, maybe I would not even be into mechanical keyboards at all now.

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 04:58:53 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 04:59:04 »
I just want a Leopold FC660C. Bring it closer to the European masses you magnificent Korean ..keyboard makers.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 05:17:41 »
I wish my first keyboard was a Cherry MX Red, then I wouldn't have bothered with Browns or Blues.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 05:42:04 »
Would've bought a Phantom PCB and designed a case. Filcos are good and all but they aren't anything special.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 08:05:40 »
Is the destination the reason for the journey?

How could you know what you liked best without knowing what else was available?

Not everyone believes that there is "one perfect" solution, although I suspect that most of us could get down to about 3 .....
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 08:17:23 »
My goal right now is to get a keyboard I can easily mod so I could try all kinds of switch/spring combinations. I am pretty satisfied with my filco camo tkl with browns, but I want to try other switches without having to buy a new keyboard everytime.

Right now, I am waiting for the GH65++ from sameswisekoi. I almost went for the GH60, but it lacked some keys (arrows, page up and down, home, end) and mainly I didn't have the budget at the time.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 08:21:44 »
I think I've said this before but if there was a "perfect" switch or keyboard, we'd all have it. fohat.digs said it best, it's all about the journey. I try not to say that I have a dream keyboard or a set because who knows, next week there could be the newest, hottest layout with a perfect Cherry MX/Topre/Alps/Buckling Spring/Scissor/Laser switch.

But if I had to start again, I would've skipped the BlackWidow and just bought the Filco I have now as my first keyboard.

Offline jabar

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 08:42:34 »
I've made a few regrettable keyboard purchases: I would not have purchased my Choc Mini (just plain nicer keyboards around) and modded Leopold (paid too much and it is broken).

I think if I stuck with my FC660C and G80-2100 w/ Round4 keycaps that would be sufficient.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 08:50:03 »
Unfortunately, ErgoDox and GH* keyboards weren't available when I became picky about keyboards. Also, my previous keyboards have influenced my recent point of view, so I don't regret purchasing most of them either. If you ask me about my dream keyboard... ErgoDox and GH80 without a doubt. Both with reds or ergo clears and PBT keycaps.

However, I do regret getting most of my mice. If I had bought a trackman marble instead of trackman wheel five years ago, I probably wouldn't have to deal with issues bordering on RSI.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 09:05:55 »
Wouldn't have got my cm pro, don't like brown switches at all. Would have switched to blanks sooner. Would have waited for the tenkeyless thats in the kittypad sale over my qfr because programmable. That's bout it.

Offline pasph

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 09:07:17 »
It will always be "the next", now is samwisekoi's GH75
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 09:07:37 »
HHKB. but it wouldn't been nearly as fun with out all the weird stuff I've found over the years ;)

that being said there will always be something new I will want to try.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 09:09:44 »
I'm back to using a Quickfire Rapid after trying many boards after. I can't say I didn't enjoy the process, though.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 09:12:07 »
I'd just go with a realforce 87u 55g, though i'd be very satisfied with just a mx blue quickfire rapid.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline shifted

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 09:12:35 »
I have only been a mechanical keyboard owner for a very short time and only have one but if I could start over I would have researched more on the Deck Keyboards before buying one.  The space bar is at such a weird, uncomfortable height and angle that I am looking for a new keyboard already.  I was blinded by the praise it got for build quality, nice backlighting and the PBT keys.  None of that matters if it isn't comfortable to use.

Research all the negatives you can about a keyboard before buying it.  I never would have thought a space bar would be designed differently on different keyboards and that a $165 keyboard would be uncomfortable to use.

Now I am looking for something else with nice BLUE backlighting.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 09:19:37 by shifted »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 09:43:43 »
Tenkeyless, ISO layout, Cherry MX Clear, blank thick PBT keycaps.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 09:57:56 »
I would have skipped every plate mounted keyboard I have ever tried. I would have skipped every keycap that is not Cherry doubleshot, dyesub or blank POM. I never would have bought anything with brown or clear switch (except to steal it's keycaps in the case of Cherry keyboards).

Offline 1391406

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 10:07:49 »
I might change my mind at some later date, but as of right now, if I had to go back and do it all over again, I believe I'd go straight for an AT Model F 122.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 10:12:31 »
Probably a 45g Plate-mounted Topre ErgoDox, full wrist-wrest style case, with a dedicated inverted-T cluster of arrow keys that mimic the FC660C

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 10:24:56 »
If I could start over, I would have rescued the 5 Apple Extended Keyboards from the recycle pile when I moved out to college. :(
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:29:25 »
KMAC Mini layout with snickered and lubed and o-ringed MX Blue switches. Dolch grey Spherical caps and black spherical legends. The Mini case would have to be brushed aluminum of course. And the legends will be large centered with a retro lowercase font.

i think that would make me pretty happy. also same thing with topre switches for work desk. except the topre will have to have a beige colored aluminum case with two toned beige mx caps that magically work on topre without adapters.

who am I kidding. I need at least 5 keyboards to noodle around with. plus soldering is just so much fun...
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:33:53 by tricheboars »
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:32:02 »
blank POM

OuO

If I had to start over, I'd do nothing different, who would give up a free Das II, the only G80-3000 with delicious blank POMs.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:35:39 »
KMAC2 with lubed, stickered 55g ergo clears and original Cherry doubleshots.  Or silenced, variable weighted AE Realforce 87U. Tough call.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:37:15 by metalliqaz »

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:51:01 »
Stolen a Model M at my dad's office that's connected to something that wasn't running for years when I visited at the age of 8. The thing looked pristine. It was probably a silver label thinking about it now. They did a massive "let's recycle all the old crap" several years back.  :(

Other than that, I think an FC200R with clears was a decent first buy despite the spacebar ...

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 12:01:30 »
So, instead of adding to the forums collection of "What should I buy?!" threads, I thought I'd ask in a way that was a little more fun.

Knowing everything you know now, after all the money and time you've put into your boards, what would you put together if you could build just one keyboard.

Your perfect board. Case/switches/caps/etc. Go.

If I was starting over it means I had a regret.  #YOLOBLAZINHIBALLER420KONY2012
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline dadgh

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 12:20:15 »
KMAC Mini, 65g Ergo-Clears, Stickered & Lubed, Thick PBT

Offline anticorrelator

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 13:32:34 »
I would've gone straight for 60% layouts... I spent way too long being afraid of them.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 13:48:44 »
HHKB :)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 13:56:48 »
I am very happy where i am...after 5 months with keyboards i know my preferences, my goals and what i like.
i know what i want too ;)

if i had to start over...well it's hard to answer...i did little to no research of mechanicals or keyboards and bought a DAS with browns...which is one of the best starter boards imo. was a great start. i think i did a lot better then most in the beginning.

if i could go back with the knowledge i have now? a clean start with all the money, i've spent but keep my current knowledge? head straight for the 60% boards. they are my favorite right now...don't see myself getting anything bigger until i spring for a tkl in the far, far future.
probably won't be buying a tkl unless it's a kustom. I just love my 60% boards too much.

I'm pretty damn happy as it it, with what i know, what i have and what i plan to have
Should have at least 6 or 7 boards by September, all which are 60%

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 13:58:45 »
I'd probably do everything the same way again. 60%, Lubed Ergo Clears, Thick PBT, Aluminum case :)

Edit - Oh yeah and Clack!! ;)

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 14:07:04 by Jocelyn »

Offline anticorrelator

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 15:46:54 »

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 15:53:07 »
Instead of a Ducky Shine II with MX Blacks, I'd have gotten it with MX Browns.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Bratman

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:00:47 »
I started out with a Filco Cherry Blue TKL so I was pretty lucky, traded it for the Cherry Red version couple days later. I could say I regret doing that as I want blues again but only because I've had reds a year now and fancy a change.

Would of started learning Colemak layout a long time ago though.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:41:11 »
I'd probably do everything the same way again. 60%, Lubed Ergo Clears, Thick PBT, Aluminum case :)

Show Image

jocelyn this was your first mechanical?!? wtf really? that is a pro enthusiast board. wow. you started off right.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:43:58 »
perhaps she started with a poker and kept upgrading.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:49:29 »
jocelyn this was your first mechanical?!? wtf really? that is a pro enthusiast board. wow. you started off right.

Haha yes! I definitely read & searched GH quite a bit, but I guess there was also some luck involved. Nezumi's Pure w/ browns was the first Mechanical I ordered (Dec 2012) and I really liked it in terms of size and feel, but wanted more of a bump. I chose a plated Poker w/ ergo clears, and made sure that removable switch tops were possible so I could try other switches. After trying blacks, ghetto reds, a few ergo whites, and a QFR w/ blues while WFD was modding my Poker, I concluded that ergo clears were definitely the switch for me. My only regret is not lubing sooner :p

perhaps she started with a poker and kept upgrading.

This^ :)

Offline Magna224

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:51:40 »
Well I have a poker with alu case, ergo clears, and cherry ds set. Thats pretty much the only keyboard I use but if I could only have one keyboard and it was any keyboard it would be a Filco zero with blue ALPS and doubleshot ALPS keycaps.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline calavera

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 17:25:39 »
I probably would have skipped all these novelty key caps by SP. They were cute, but I have no use for them.

Offline thefunkyprimer

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 18:09:19 »

Show Image

This^

This is my reason for starting this thread. I hate spending money on something I'll want to upgrade in the future, and I do my best to research before buying so I just buy what I'd eventually end up with.

I spend about 60 hours a week at a computer, whether at home or in the office, and I'm starting to get sick of junk keyboards. I'm a support engineer for a large web hosting company and email about 300 clients a week. Adds up to a lot of key strokes.

I figured I'd take in what everyone has to say, and make my decision based off that. I was pretty sure I wanted a 60%, and it sounds like a good amount of you ended up on them and regret not getting one sooner.

Would you all recommend a KBC Poker if I can find one?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 18:19:02 »
No, go for GH60. Poker has some annoying limitations. Poker was my 2nd MX board after a G80-3000. While I loved it while I had Poker, and it was the best choice at the time, if GH60 existed then I would absolutely have skipped it.

Offline dadgh

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 18:23:43 »

Show Image

god that looks nice, makes me think I might want to try getting used to 60% boards

EDIT: is your spacebar falling off?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 18:30:49 »
Some people like their spacebars on upside down. I can see it with SP DCS since those will cut off your thumbs the right way, but not so much with Cherry or oem profiles.

Offline crthell

• crthell
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 18:55:18 »
#YOLOBLAZINHIBALLER420KONY2012
Ow...ow...my brain cells are shriveling up and dying, thanks to that post :-)
/crthell
Mechanical Keyboard(s): Apple Extended Keyboard II M3501 (dampened Alps)
Quality Rubber Dome(s): Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW

Offline dante

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 19:48:21 »
Mkawa's SSK or a Cherry ML Tenkeyless with dyesubs.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 19:50:07 »
I am very happy where i am...after 5 months with keyboards i know my preferences, my goals and what i like.
i know what i want too ;)

if i had to start over...well it's hard to answer...i did little to no research of mechanicals or keyboards and bought a DAS with browns...which is one of the best starter boards imo. was a great start. i think i did a lot better then most in the beginning.

if i could go back with the knowledge i have now? a clean start with all the money, i've spent but keep my current knowledge? head straight for the 60% boards. they are my favorite right now...don't see myself getting anything bigger until i spring for a tkl in the far, far future.
probably won't be buying a tkl unless it's a kustom. I just love my 60% boards too much.

I'm pretty damn happy as it it, with what i know, what i have and what i plan to have
Should have at least 6 or 7 boards by September, all which are 60%

There's always kustom 60s. kmac happy and some other crazy korean one that's a bit more poker like.