Author Topic: Is it possible to add an em dash (—) on a TKL?  (Read 5210 times)

Offline Vanquish

Is it possible to add an em dash (—) on a TKL?
« on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 13:15:56 »
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I frequently used the en dash (–) and em dash (—) on my full sized keyboards. Now that I have a KBDFans KBD8x mkii, I am realizing that you can not use any of those keys cleanly. Most forums suggest third-party software and to apply a hot key. Can't I simply use QMK to add such a shortcut to my keyboard? Wondering if any of you have an elegant solution.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 October 2021, 13:29:55 by Vanquish »

Offline F eq ma

Re: Is it possible to add an em dash (—) on a TKL?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 October 2021, 20:05:45 »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 October 2021, 05:31:19 »
I have the Compose key mapped on the "Menu" key, and press — by inputting the sequence Compose - - -

That is what I would recommend. It is very useful for typing all sorts of characters: «» ⇒ ♥ ….
The Compose key has to be enabled in the operating system. Unixes and Linux distros tend to support it by default. Windows might need a utility installed. Dunno about Mac.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Compose_key
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key

Because I'm European I use the Alt Gr key also for special characters. I think that for keyboards without a Menu key, it would make sense so map both Alt Gr and Compose on that same key: Compose when tapped, Alt Gr when held.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 October 2021, 05:34:58 by Findecanor »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 23:45:31 »
As the title suggests, I frequently used the en dash (–) and em dash (—) on my full sized keyboards. Now that I have a KBDFans KBD8x mkii, I am realizing that you can not use any of those keys cleanly. Most forums suggest third-party software and to apply a hot key. Can't I simply use QMK to add such a shortcut to my keyboard?...

You didn't mention which OS you're using. If you're using Windows, though, there's a much simpler solution than changing your firmware, or even typing extended key codes.

It's a free little program called Clavier+. Its simple GUI lets you use the key-combinations of your choice to type special characters, or whatever text you wish. It then sits in the system tray and interprets your wishes, using a negligible amount of CPU time. (On my system, I've never seen it go past "0%".) You can also use it to run apps, open folders or websites, and do other stuff.

Other geekier, script-based programs like AutoHotKey are also available—but for just typing special characters like dashes, "bullets", etc., Clavier+ is light 'n' easy.

(I know this is a rather old topic now, but I thought a reply was worthwhile in case anyone else looks for ideas on this too.)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg