Author Topic: Re: [GB] GMK Firefly - Shipping to CUSTOMERS -  (Read 226428 times)

Offline NitPik

Re: [GB] GMK Firefly [EVERY KIT WILL BE MADE] Placing order to GMK
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 07:46:00 »
damn. gb's always make me so nervous because of the communication gaps from manufacturers. im sure its fine, i just like to know everything thats going on lol

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 07:47:28 »
You and me both! :D

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 08:53:54 »
I'm boutta drive over there and tell them Emir sent me to collect your part of the deal!  :'(

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 14 January 2020, 18:21:26 »
Samples are supposed to be sent directly to me from gmk this week, here's to hoping! :) will let you know.

Offline NitPik

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 13:04:45 »
still nothing eh?

Offline noorejji

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 14:09:29 »
still nothing eh?
I'm sure he'll let you know when there's something worth sharing. No point in bumping like this really.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 15:12:36 »
still nothing eh?

My discord has some more updates, but nothing noteworthy so I didn't post here.

Samples arrived, but at least two colors need to be remade. Base and peach. I will share the difficulties I am facing soon when I'm at a pc!

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 10:11:29 »
Alright, so here's what we're facing.

Timeline:
- During the IC, I ordered RAL samples well in advance to make sure they're with me before GB starts to make sure everything is OK. Unfortunately, they were on a "back order", which means they place an order with their supplier after the customer places the order, and it took a long time to get to me. Essentially, the GB was starting when I had them in hand, so it was too late for me to change the renders. I could've cancelled the GB and postponed, but I liked the date as it wasn't dracula territory etc.
- The RALs don't look like I expected them to, none of the 4. This makes it difficult for me to ask GMK to colormatch, as I have nothing physical to present them in terms of what I want.
- I receive the first samples, and they're matched the RALs damn near perfectly - which doesn't help us, as the RALs are not what we want.

The main gripe I got is with RAL 5011, it is simply too dark. In bright sunlight it does resemble what we are after, but in normal indoors lighting it is very dark, near black. Basically, imagine GMK Phantom base purple, that's what's happening with that color. The other colors are passable, but I still want to change the peach too, to a more saturated peach. The light blue and purple complement each other well, while not being exact matches to the expected color. For now I am keeping the lighter blue and purple, they are good colors and close.

We are working with GMK now to sort out how we can move forward with the sampling process in the best way. I am committed and dedicated to delivering a set which is to my expectation, even though the situation to do so isn't the best.

I don't want to compromise for my own sake, but first and foremost I don't want to let anyone else down either. This means it might take a little while to get the colors down, but we will get there one way or another.

Basically a rookie mistake not having RALs in hand (even prior to IC, let alone GB).  Take notes and learn from my mistake, upcoming designers.
The next set I launch will have cleared color samples before I even post an IC.

Offline King4477

Re: [GB] GMK Firefly - Waiting on round 2 color samples
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 10:23:29 »
Thank you for the update. Appreciate you taking the time to get the colors right; much better to be a little upset that it took a touch longer than expected to get the set, than to be overwhelmingly upset that the set isn’t what you expected at all. Keep up the good work and look forward to receiving the final product.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 13:24:28 »
Thanks for updating us. I 100% prefer eventually getting an accurate set than getting an inaccurate set sooner.

Offline Warrenified

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 15:30:30 »
Your honesty is always admirable, Emir! Hope everything moves forward smoothly  :thumb:

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 19:13:02 »
I'd sorta figured you wanted the base color to be as dark a blue as GMK Phantom (or future funk in a coupla days) is for purple. I have Phantom here and like it but it really means you've gotta have a bright room to enjoy it. might have to cop an extra...

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 21:47:57 »

Timeline:
- During the IC, I ordered RAL samples well in advance to make sure they're with me before GB starts to make sure everything is OK. Unfortunately, they were on a "back order", which means they place an order with their supplier after the customer places the order, and it took a long time to get to me. Essentially, the GB was starting when I had them in hand, so it was too late for me to change the renders. I could've cancelled the GB and postponed, but I liked the date as it wasn't dracula territory etc.
- The RALs don't look like I expected them to, none of the 4. This makes it difficult for me to ask GMK to colormatch, as I have nothing physical to present them in terms of what I want.
- I receive the first samples, and they're matched the RALs damn near perfectly - which doesn't help us, as the RALs are not what we want.

The main gripe I got is with RAL 5011, it is simply too dark. In bright sunlight it does resemble what we are after, but in normal indoors lighting it is very dark, near black. Basically, imagine GMK Phantom base purple, that's what's happening with that color. The other colors are passable, but I still want to change the peach too, to a more saturated peach. The light blue and purple complement each other well, while not being exact matches to the expected color. For now I am keeping the lighter blue and purple, they are good colors and close.

We are working with GMK now to sort out how we can move forward with the sampling process in the best way. I am committed and dedicated to delivering a set which is to my expectation, even though the situation to do so isn't the best.

I don't want to compromise for my own sake, but first and foremost I don't want to let anyone else down either. This means it might take a little while to get the colors down, but we will get there one way or another.

Basically a rookie mistake not having RALs in hand (even prior to IC, let alone GB).  Take notes and learn from my mistake, upcoming designers.

I'm sorry, I'm just a little confused. Were you unable to use a RAL book to accurately judge the colors you had chosen beforehand? I always assumed GMK samples are used to make sure they (GMK) manufacture the caps to spec, not for the designer to decide they actually like that color. If I understand you correctly, the timeline for the GB now no longer exists and will remain in the air until you are able to figure out what colors you actually intended to use all along?
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 23:53:27 »

Timeline:

I'm sorry, I'm just a little confused. Were you unable to use a RAL book to accurately judge the colors you had chosen beforehand? I always assumed GMK samples are used to make sure they (GMK) manufacture the caps to spec, not for the designer to decide they actually like that color. If I understand you correctly, the timeline for the GB now no longer exists and will remain in the air until you are able to figure out what colors you actually intended to use all along?

No you misunderstood me, sorry if I wasn't clear with the time line. To summarize, the colors were 'scouted' using hex representations online. Once I found rals online that I liked, I ordered them specifically to make sure they look like I want them to look in real life. This was well before gb, but they didn't reach me until gb was starting. Once I got them in hand, they looked nothing like what I expected them to - or well, the ral representation on the front page.

At this point, there were renders that I liked and the feedback was based on those set colors. So, even if I had the rals, I likely wouldn't have changed them anyway. There's no RAL that is closer, as I ordered multiple shades of each color to have a "failsafe", which unfortunately didn't help at all as they were all off.

In any case, I don't expect delays to be very long. The sampling process can take a while even with physical objects to compare to, so this doesn't thrown off the time line more than any other scenario might have.

In any case, I have colors from the plastic series and the design series, not even gmk had access to the plastic series. I don't think a majority of designers have access to physical rals prior to IC, which I now recommend everyone to do (yeah, might seem like common sense). As I said, learn from my mistake.

I'll do everything I can to deliver what you, me and WE expect from firefly - this is just for transparency.

Offline jani80k

• In the hobby for a good time.
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 04:18:12 »
Colors look different under different light sources. You will never get colors to look the same under all kinds of light sources - that's impossible. 6500 ° Kelvin is daylight. That's how most screens should be calibrated as well.
If the colors look the same in daylight and on a calibrated screen, there is no issue.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2020, 08:36:23 by jani80k »

Offline jani80k

• In the hobby for a good time.
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 07:51:16 »
Your honesty is always admirable, Emir! Hope everything moves forward smoothly  :thumb:
I second that.

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 08:08:06 »
Thanks Emir for keeping us informed. We trust you for the color matching, I don’t mind delays.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 15:33:15 »
Ok, So I wasn't planning to post any images of the samples. The reason for this is because I am not able to take accurate photos, and I don't want confusion in the thread.
For the finalized samples, I will send them to the best photographer in our hobby (IMO) for accurate shots - but I don't want to post any because I don't have the equipment or knowledge to take such images.

However, a lot of people have been talking about how this set is turning into GMK Necro, or that the set is doomed and there's no way we will have a final product close to the renders.
I decided to post an image of the samples to show that it is not about to be a necro, and we are not a million miles away from being close to matching the colros correctly. They are however still off, and I will correct that.

So note again: I don't have equipment or knowledge in order to take accurate shots and these are rejected samples.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #168 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 16:08:19 »
The delay is unfortunate, but it's more important to get the colors right.  I've already got GMK Phantom gathering dust in the closet; I don't need another set that in theory isn't black if you ever bring it into just the right kind of lighting.

Offline vannams

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 18:00:44 »
the samples look like the outdoor renders, are you trying to get it closer to the indoor renders?

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 18:02:38 »
the samples look like the outdoor renders, are you trying to get it closer to the indoor renders?

I'm trying to get them neutral to the expected colors where they will look similar to the outdoor renders outdoors, and indoor renders indoors. :)
However, keep in mind that they're just that - renders - and it will never be a 1;1.

Offline terminaldawn

« Reply #171 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 11:57:32 »
I understand there are delays here, happy to wait to get it right.  What was the original delivery date on this and what is expected date now?  Just looking for a very high level guess from anyone here. 

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #172 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 08:57:00 »
I understand there are delays here, happy to wait to get it right.  What was the original delivery date on this and what is expected date now?  Just looking for a very high level guess from anyone here.

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 17 February 2020, 22:56:48 »
Those samples look good to me *shrug*

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 09:30:47 »
Those samples look good to me *shrug*

Not good enough! :D I want it to be as close as possible, and I'll do everything towards that.

Regarding delays, it's not confirmed that there will be any as opposed to if we had the correct RALs off the bat. You're given a production slot upon ordering, and hopefully the colors will be sorted out before Fireflys production slot is up. :)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 18 February 2020, 13:09:19 »
As I updated in my discord, 3 new rals have been chosen and sent to gmk! :)

Offline noxdbx

« Reply #176 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 05:40:37 »
@Emir
Is this what you mean, RAL samples catologue?

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 06:25:25 »
@Emir
Is this what you mean, RAL samples catologue?
Show Image

Yes, that looks like the plastic series. This set does not featue any plastic series anymore besides the lighter blue, the rest are design series. :)

Offline noxdbx

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 06:50:26 »
@Emir: I thought all available colors we can choose for plastic are in this catologue. So we can choose color other than what in this catologue?
P/s: wonder why I can not quote your post?

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 08:14:01 »
@Emir: I thought all available colors we can choose for plastic are in this catologue. So we can choose color other than what in this catologue?

To my understanding, GMK does not actively have access to RAL Plastic series. I had to send in my own chips to them for matching.

They have the full design-series catalogue, though.

In theory you can choose any color you like, but results will vary and GMK prefers RAL to my understanding. I think sets in the past have been (mis)matched to hex codes, but if you're pursuing to create a set of your own, it would be best to take that discussion with GMK through a vendor.

Offline noxdbx

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 10:25:28 »
Thanks for your advice

To my understanding, GMK does not actively have access to RAL Plastic series. I had to send in my own chips to them for matching.

They have the full design-series catalogue, though.

In theory you can choose any color you like, but results will vary and GMK prefers RAL to my understanding. I think sets in the past have been (mis)matched to hex codes, but if you're pursuing to create a set of your own, it would be best to take that discussion with GMK through a vendor.

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 07:04:04 »
I'm assuming the production slot was missed since we're 5 months in and around the original expected ship date. Is there any eta at this point?

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 11 April 2020, 05:18:10 »
I'm assuming the production slot was missed since we're 5 months in and around the original expected ship date. Is there any eta at this point?

Yeah production slot was missed unfortunately, I suspect the same thing happened to other sets, too.

No ETA atm, I will have one once colors are approved!

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 08:29:41 »
Screenshot from Kono's website. Worth noting that this was updated yesterday. The plot thickens.

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 12:27:37 »
whoa whaaaaa

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 12:35:40 »
Still waiting on samples, it won't ship in May unfortunately 😭

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #186 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 01:45:12 »
Word on the streets is that new color samples are en route to me! Took a few months, but getting there. Let's pray they're good! :D

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 16:00:57 »
Word on the streets is that new color samples are en route to me! Took a few months, but getting there. Let's pray they're good! :D
Are the samples still on their way?

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 16:25:53 »
Received samples and peach is good, but the blue seems to be same as r1, looks exactly the same. Waiting for a reply from gmk on this

Offline DetectiveNio

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 01:18:22 »
Sigh :( long wait for my most anticipated set of the year

Offline Mekberg

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 09:19:32 »
Yeah, waiting sucks, but perfection doesn't come easy, or fast. I appreciate all the attention to detail put into this set, one of the reasons I don't regret buying it.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 00:50:04 »
Hey everyone! I just heard back - gmk did accidentally send the blue sample from r1 instead of r2 as I suspected and new ones should arrive in about 1 week. I will keep you updated!

Offline brew

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 10:20:44 »
@emir
Any news? Still hyped about this set. Hope this next round of matching does the trick!

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 11:02:04 »
@emir
Any news? Still hyped about this set. Hope this next round of matching does the trick!

Word to me was that it was sent two week ago and should've arrived last week, still nothing here and no tracking number. :/

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 05:30:58 »
After many ifs and buts, it seems like GMK shipped it out today with FedEx express and the blue r2 sample should arrive tomorrow! :) Will keep you guys posted.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #195 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 06:11:06 »
So it only took one month for them to rectify their mistake? Well done, GMK.

Offline DetectiveNio

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 10:14:26 »
Not sure how GMK works their order queues but I hope this doesn't put us all the way at the end of the queue once sample is approved

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline break

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 10:33:45 »
Reviewing this thread now, and the first mention of samples shipping for review was in mid-January. Crazy how GMK has been affected by both the pandemic and the increasing order queue.

Thanks for keeping on top of this, Emir.

Offline fiveaces

« Reply #198 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 15:41:09 »
Is it too late to get in on this? The Kono link has the base package grayed out

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 16:22:30 »
Is it too late to get in on this? The Kono link has the base package grayed out

Very late. The group buy ended last November. Kono had extras up for pre-order but if it's greyed out then they're gone. My condolences.