Author Topic: Ergonomic Gaming Keypad  (Read 5736 times)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Ergonomic Gaming Keypad
« on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 09:12:07 »
I'm working on a "ergonomic" gaming keypad atm, mainly for FPS (as RTS/MMO need sooo many buttons the "ergo" part becomes impossible). The idea is to place all the commonly used buttons so that they are comfortably to reach without stretching the fingers too far, forcing em into a awkward angle, or moving the hand around too much. Below is my first attempt for the layout, feel free to try it (print out) and see how good you can reach the center of the buttons (Note: For now the buttons are simply straight, but I will probably tilt/turn the keys later to match the angle of the fingers) and make suggestions for improvement etc...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Ergonomic Gaming Keypad
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 14:34:19 »
Interesting idea. It is defineatly not quite a one size fits all solution though. Some things are too far away for me to be comfortable especially the space and misc key which I would move up and to the left a bit. I would put the E inbetween W R where it belongs so I don't have to think about it. Also it is missing several keys I almost always bind something to like Q G C caps lock and ctrl.
Not shure if I would be into having the keys aggressively sculpted ala the kinesis or such, but having them on a pitch like if you turn the keyboard sideways for a more natural wrist position would probably be nice.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 01:32:18 »
Some progress...

I made a prototype with MX-reds and a lot epoxy:

15524-0

Based on this I made some adjustments to the layout:

15526-1

Now I need a plate ;P

15528-2

Offline AP

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 March 2013, 20:45:24 »
My interest is more for MMOs, but my suggestions wouldn't make this much bigger - definitely more flexible though.

Your keys are based on WASD for movement, but with that configuration your pinky doesn't have much to do.  One popular way to get more easily-accessible keys is to base them on ESDF instead, and getting access to more keys to the left of the movement keys.  I'd also want both turning (S/F) and strafing (W/R) keys if I were designing something for my own use.  I also see that you removed the 1-5 keys along the top, those would be a requirement for MMO use.

The other thing is around the thumb keys - space for jump, yes, but I'd like two or even three modifier keys there for MMO usage - that way you can maximize your accessible bindings without having to move your hand around.

I know your focus is FPS, so this stuff may not interest you.  :)

AP

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 March 2013, 13:59:48 »
I know your focus is FPS, so this stuff may not interest you.  :)

Every opinion about it interests me! :)

The other thing is around the thumb keys - space for jump, yes, but I'd like two or even three modifier keys there for MMO usage - that way you can maximize your accessible bindings without having to move your hand around.

Cool, that was actually the reason I added the two other buttons next to space...
They could be set as modifier/FN buttons, this way you can triple the amount commands.
The reason I removed the number-row was because it wasn't easy enough to reach and can be done on FN layer instead.
For the pinky, it's probably because my pinky isn't really that flexible, I don't use it for touch-typing either (except for shift that is). ^^;

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 13:53:37 »
One step closer getting a plate:

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 10:46:09 »
Finally got a plate lasered...

25354-025356-1

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 11:26:13 »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Nice

Where did you get it cut and how much did that cost tou for a one off like that?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 11:52:48 »

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Nice

Where did you get it cut and how much did that cost tou for a one off like that?

Got it made here: http://www.prokilo.de/
Cost like 80 bucks (included CAD/CNC conversion/programming and the brushed high grade SS plate)

Offline TD22057

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:22:27 »
Did you ever prototype a version with each key slightly rotated?  It seems like that would be easier to use but maybe it doesn't matter...

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 06:23:24 »
I figured it doesn't matter much when you gonna use flat keycaps (want to use SP PBT e-sports caps)
But I might do another version based on impression I gain by using the current one (as soon it's finished, lol)
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 June 2013, 06:26:05 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline llovro

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 07:10:14 »
looks nice. I'm thinking about something like this but based off of qwerdf keys for moba games.