Author Topic: I'm looking to make a case for a GON NerD 60  (Read 2289 times)

Offline snipars

I'm looking to make a case for a GON NerD 60
« on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 08:46:04 »
Hello, i'm planning on building a keyboard using a GON NerD 60 PCB and GON's universal 60% plate 
I plan on making a wooden case for the keyboard, something that i'd very much enjoy doing, though i have a few questions/things i'd like to be sure on before i start ordering the parts (switches already ordered, gateron blacks) 
my only concerns are in planning this case, i know i'd need to make a hole for the USB port, would i need some sort of spacers in the case, to be able to screw the pcb and plate in? 
how will the plate stay in? will that be screwed to the PCB and then both of them screwed into the case?
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: I'm looking to make a case for a GON NerD 60
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 06:55:45 »
Hello, i'm planning on building a keyboard using a GON NerD 60 PCB and GON's universal 60% plate 
I plan on making a wooden case for the keyboard, something that i'd very much enjoy doing, though i have a few questions/things i'd like to be sure on before i start ordering the parts (switches already ordered, gateron blacks) 
my only concerns are in planning this case, i know i'd need to make a hole for the USB port, would i need some sort of spacers in the case, to be able to screw the pcb and plate in? 
how will the plate stay in? will that be screwed to the PCB and then both of them screwed into the case?

Not sure how universal it is but on both the full size boards I've opened up (a Ducky and a Keycool) there are holes in the PCB and the plate is screwed to the case (with built in spacers) through the holes.  The switches are tight in the plate and there are enough solder joints between the switches and PCB to hold it up without it's own support.

As you're making a 60% you might get away with just having a lip around the edge for the plate to rest on, but if you want to move it without risk you'll need some some way of screwing it in, and that means spacers.  Perhaps you could use the spacers sold for holding computer motherboards?  They are easily available and you can stack them to get more height...

Looking forward to seeing this when it's done :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline snipars

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 19:11:32 »

Not sure how universal it is but on both the full size boards I've opened up (a Ducky and a Keycool) there are holes in the PCB and the plate is screwed to the case (with built in spacers) through the holes.  The switches are tight in the plate and there are enough solder joints between the switches and PCB to hold it up without it's own support.

As you're making a 60% you might get away with just having a lip around the edge for the plate to rest on, but if you want to move it without risk you'll need some some way of screwing it in, and that means spacers.  Perhaps you could use the spacers sold for holding computer motherboards?  They are easily available and you can stack them to get more height...

Looking forward to seeing this when it's done :)

thanks for the advice.
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline phishy

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 20:24:55 »
if it helps you in your search for what you are looking for, those spacers yall keep talking about are called "stand-offs"

Offline snipars

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 22:56:26 »
if it helps you in your search for what you are looking for, those spacers yall keep talking about are called "stand-offs"

Thanks

Does anyone know how the keyboard would be held in the case?  I'm assuming that the pcb and plate are attached together,  and then the plate would be screwed into the case?
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 March 2015, 23:00:28 by snipars »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 04:02:05 »
The plate is mounted to the PCB by the switches and the PCB is mounted to the case with small standoffs to allow some space for the electronic components.

Some TKL boards mount the plate to the case and some acrylic plates act as part of the case, so the the PCB isn't mounted to anything, but in the case of the GON NerD60 with a metal plate, Poker II and other similar boards, it's the PCB that is screwed / mounted to the case.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 10:38:03 »

The plate is mounted to the PCB by the switches and the PCB is mounted to the case with small standoffs to allow some space for the electronic components.

Some TKL boards mount the plate to the case and some acrylic plates act as part of the case, so the the PCB isn't mounted to anything, but in the case of the GON NerD60 with a metal plate, Poker II and other similar boards, it's the PCB that is screwed / mounted to the case.

This. There are holes in the plate through which you insert and turn the screws in the pcb holding it all in the case.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline snipars

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 10:38:26 »

thank you so much!

Offline snipars

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 19:56:53 »
I've been trying to figure it out without asking on here but it seems i can't find what i need 
what sort of inserts would i need to put in the case? i can find lots of different types and i don't know what type i'd need