Author Topic: Red Scarf II+ Ver.b  (Read 3124 times)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Red Scarf II+ Ver.b
« on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 18:21:53 »
A little background:

I've put together a kb45p (sandwich case), MiniVan, and most recently whitefox.  I purchased this Red Scarf II+ ver.b from Massdrop last year (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/red-scarf-ii-ver-b-custom-mechanical-keyboard-kit?mode=guest_open), and am just getting around to putting it together.  However, it appears more Kit than I'm used to, and I can't find an assembly guide or build log anywhere using google.

Does anyone know where I might find one?  I can't even figure out whether it's plate mount or PCB mount so far, though I'm assuming PCB mount since the plate doesn't have the little tabs where you put the switches, and the included stabs appear to be PCB mount, at least from the massdrop description.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated, as currently, I'm leaning towards putting it back in the box before I actually even try, and trying to sell/trade it. :(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Red Scarf II+ Ver.b
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 18:27:44 »
Post pictures of the actual parts you are looking at that'll help people know what to tell you to do.

Oversimplification but it should all just fit together and you solder the switch pins.

Offline Kominyetska

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 18:28:48 »
I wish you luck, but also want to buy it from you.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 18:37:57 »
I apparently don't have the right size hex key currently (and don't know what size) so I'm going to have to go get a kit, so I'll post up on Thursday.  And thanks in advance for answering/help!

Offline msilvv

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 18:49:10 »
I just built one. The stabs are PCB mount.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 21:00:23 »

The switches... are they Plate mount?  The plate doesn't have the little tabs that I'm used to, and the fit is very tight, which made me think I was doing something wrong?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 21:07:12 »

The switches... are they Plate mount?  The plate doesn't have the little tabs that I'm used to, and the fit is very tight, which made me think I was doing something wrong?

Perhaps you  are used to plates that allow the switch tops to be opened after install and this is just a normal plate?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 21:47:12 »

Perhaps you  are used to plates that allow the switch tops to be opened after install and this is just a normal plate?

Could be.  I've only put together a few, so it might just be my misconception.  I'll post up images when I get the hex keys in.

Offline msilvv

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 22:21:52 »

PCB vs plate mounts doesn't actually make a difference in mounting when you actually have a plate, they'll just have the extra legs on the switch.

Offline odd

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 23:24:11 »
I have that board, it's awesome. Here is my notes.

The switches are plate mounted.

Plate does not allow switch top removal (but the rest of the RS series does >:D )

Get better stabs (PCB mount) as the included ones rattle way too much

The plate screws into the top of the case

The bottom case (Plus acrylic bottom piece) screws into the top case to close it

Toss the remote into a box or something, you don't need it. Each button on the remote can be mapped to a Fn key.

PM me if you have any more questions.

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 January 2017, 23:27:51 by odd »

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 05:43:59 »
I apparently don't have the right size hex key currently (and don't know what size) so I'm going to have to go get a kit, so I'll post up on Thursday.  And thanks in advance for answering/help!

I'm almost positive my kit came with the correct hex in the packaging.  Anyways, enough people chimed in with tips, when it comes to flashing, if you need any help feel free to shoot me a message.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 January 2017, 06:22:28 »

what spamray said, plus also: if you get a board with PCB mount switches, you won't have a plate at all (usually)

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 23:24:13 »
Thanks for all the help- it turned out that I just needed a confidence boost.

Not exactly a build log: http://imgur.com/a/D8Veq

Thanks for all of the help!

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2017, 23:39:46 by chuckdee »