Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458539 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3900 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 14:38:15 »
This has been my experience with SKCM brown switches in a 60% custom with a stainless steel plate. The switches feel very stiff and the bottoming out is harsh. These switches feel very different in their native habitat of an IBM 5140 keyboard, which has a lot of flexibility. Nevertheless, brown Alps offer wonderful tactility, and I still find it fun to type on the 60% board with these switches.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3901 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 14:57:41 »
This has been my experience with SKCM brown switches in a 60% custom with a stainless steel plate. The switches feel very stiff and the bottoming out is harsh. These switches feel very different in their native habitat of an IBM 5140 keyboard, which has a lot of flexibility. Nevertheless, brown Alps offer wonderful tactility, and I still find it fun to type on the 60% board with these switches.
Hmm... do we know what affords the IBM5140 keyboard such great flexibility? Is it simply a different/thinner plate material? I found it quite fun to type on them in their "native habitat" and I'm hoping to replicate that as closely as possible.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3902 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 15:02:05 »
I spent a bunch of time this weekend making a number of different franken-alps switches by mixing in parts from newer matias switches (right now only quiet clicks, but I'm tempted to get some clicky switches and mess with those too).

Using the terminology that Platy originated I'm calling the process of mixing in matias qc components as "smoking" (due to the gray color of the slider).

I used Orange, Salmon and Damped Cream switches in two different configurations:
  • Partial Smoke - Replace the tactile leaf with a quiet click tactile leaf.
  • Full Smoke - Replace the tactile leaf and spring with the quiet click tactile leaf and spring
Additionally I make what I'll refer to as the "complicated quiet click" which swaps the entire guts of a quiet click into a damped cream saving only the complicated switchplate.

Overall I was actually really impressed with the results, with my three favorites being: Partially Smoked Orange, Fully Smoked Salmon, and the Complicated Quiet Click. 

Partially Smoked Orange - The slightly lighter spring along with the older model switchplate in the oranges made for a very nice compliment to the newer and crisper tactile leaf from the quiet click.

Fully Smoked Salmon - This was a super crisp and slightly aggressive switch. The combination of later model complicated switchplate, the quiet click's tactile leaf and the undamped slider makes for a super crisp and crunchy feel. I think in the long term it would actually be easier (and cheaper) to use SKCM Whites as the donor. I'll have to look into it.

Complicated Quiet Click - This and the fully smoked cream were pretty similar, but I prefer the dampeners on the quiet clicks (could be age related). The end result is a slightly less wobbly (the switchplate on a qc has only one touch point on the slider) and more consistent feeling quiet click.

I'm going to build my first Alps Party board with Complicated Quiet Clicks and see how I like it vs. my v60 with quiet clicks.

Action pic!

Show Image

I love your experimentation here. I hate disassembling Alps because I insist on using toothpicks because I do not want to mar the housings, and I don't have any of the larger cocktail sticks that Chyros recommends. I should consider whittling down some chopsticks or something.

Fully smoked salmon sounds both delicious and pretty awesome as do the complicated quiet clicks.
This is a great start!

It would be helpful if someone would construct a table or spreadsheet containing all of the possible combinations of Alps switch parts, including parts from clones such as Matias and Monterey. There could be a column where people could list their impressions. I am especially interested in FrankenAlps that can be built using switches that are already soldered into a keyboard.

I envision a table with, for example, columns for recipient switches (from which the lower housing and switchplates would remain intact) and rows for donor switches and their parts (top housing, slider, spring, and click/tactile leaf). A checkmark in each cell would indicate which combinations are possible and some other mark could be used for combinations that do not work.

Because blue Alps seem to be almost universally praised, it would be particularly useful to list FrankenAlps combinations that could result in "ghetto blues" that are close to SKCM blues in sound and feel.

My best boards at present have white Alps, which I actually like very much, but I would be interested in knowing what the possibilities are for transforming white Alps into ghetto blues.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3903 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 15:15:36 »
Because blue Alps seem to be almost universally praised, it would be particularly useful to list FrankenAlps combinations that could result in "ghetto blues" that are close to SKCM blues in sound and feel.

My best boards at present have white Alps, which I actually like very much, but I would be interested in knowing what the possibilities are for transforming white Alps into ghetto blues.
In my opinion, the "closest" ghetto blues are click-modded Oranges. Whether or not you simply transfer in the Whites' click plates or bend over the tabs from the tactile plates, they generally yield closer results than click-modded Greens since Greens are an entirely different (yet still appealing) pingy beast, haha. I think the biggest problem is that we still don't know what makes Blues Blues, it's really hard to try and approximate them since they have such a unique key feel. In all of my experiments with "ghetto" Blues, I still can't replicate that "airy" feeling that Blues have.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3904 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 15:36:26 »
If and when I complete my Alps board collection further and bolster it with some Matias stuff, I plan to do a video on a wide range of Alps/Matias mods and combinations. I want to do it on the same position on one board as well, to eliminate difference and make sound comparisons possible.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3905 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 16:33:54 »
@Wingpad: So, let me be  sure I understand your click-modded orange Alps. Let's suppose I am starting with a recipient board that has white Alps switches. To make click-modded orange, which of the following parts would I swap into the white Alps from a donor Orange Alps board?

+ Orange Slider
+ Click-modded Orange Tactile Leaf OR original Click Leaf from the white Alps
+ Orange Spring? OR white Spring?
+ Orange Top Housing? OR original White Top Housing?

Or, are you saying that the recipient board would be an Orange Alps board?

@Chyros: The video you are planning sounds like a great contribution. As long as you are going to all that trouble, would you also consider making a table like I have described to summarize the combinations and results?

Offline E3E

« Reply #3906 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 19:38:32 »
@Wingpad: So, let me be  sure I understand your click-modded orange Alps. Let's suppose I am starting with a recipient board that has white Alps switches. To make click-modded orange, which of the following parts would I swap into the white Alps from a donor Orange Alps board?

+ Orange Slider

@Chyros: The video you are planning sounds like a great contribution. As long as you are going to all that trouble, would you also consider making a table like I have described to summarize the combinations and results?

A click modded Orange switch means you take an Alps SKCM Orange switch and snip the top tabs on the tactile leaf, then insert the leaf back into the housing and you're done.

Oranges and SKCM Creams (not damped) are probably the closest to SKCM Blue. I feel like Oranges are a touch lighter and Creams are  a touch heavier though. Click modding either of these would bring them somewhat close to SKCM Blue.

I think the click leaf is the big defining point for SKCM Blue--it's got a lighter angle and a more gentle curve on the click legs and is not very sharp at all. Since that is unique to SKCM Blue, there's not much you can do to get that exact feel. 

Blue

White

As you can see, there's a few difference between a white click leaf and a blue. I haven't compared blue leaves to oranges or creams yet though.

Hmm... do we know what affords the IBM5140 keyboard such great flexibility? Is it simply a different/thinner plate material? I found it quite fun to type on them in their "native habitat" and I'm hoping to replicate that as closely as possible.

I think the biggest factor is the plate material. I would use aluminum for any custom builds, or mild steel, but that'd be prone to rusting. 1.2mm thick is what I measured the IBM 5140 plate's thickness at. 

The second factor I could see causing harshness is the mounting style of the plate to the case. I think top-mounted or suspended style mounting (as I like to call it) would be the least harsh as it would give the plate more room for flex. You see this in metal-backed vintage keyboards and many TKL customs (the Orion is an example).

Bottom-mounted or tray mounted might lead to more stiffness, especially if the PCB is screwed into the bottom at various points like most 60% case styles. Most plastic-cased vintages are bottom mount, but if I remember right, the screws are more spaced out and the PCB is mainly resting on standoffs. Did I ever mention that the Xerox boards use no screws at all?

My bent case Infinity was notoriously harsh to the point that typing on Alps SKCM Oranges gave me RSI in my right thumb last November. The case is made of stainless steel and being bent as it is makes it incredibly rigid and not prone to much flex at all.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 October 2016, 19:48:07 by E3E »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3907 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 21:37:30 »

+ Orange Slider

Of course! :) I hope to give an as thorough as possible comparison of all combinations. But I don't have all Alps boards yet, and no Matias ones, so this won't happen anytime soon.

I do however have most of these switches loose. I hope to be able to at least make a photographic comparison of the parts of all these switches, which I should be able to do quite soon.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3908 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:09:00 »
My big wang arrived today :D

This board looks and feels absolutely new. No dust on the plate, no dirt on the caps, no shine on the spacebar, and even no scratches on the feet!

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #3909 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:10:35 »
Jealous is just a state of being for me

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3910 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:19:31 »

My big wang arrived today

That is surely awesome. What model number is that?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3911 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:24:03 »

My big wang arrived today

That is surely awesome. What model number is that?
725-3770us

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3912 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:29:28 »
Can someone help me with the pinout of the rj45 connector on the wang? I didnt get a cable with it. I know it is a rj45 to din5.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3913 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:30:33 »
@mike52787: Splendid looking Wang board! Mine is a NIB 725-3770. It has nice dye-sub PBT caps, but the switches are black Alps, probably the later variety.

@E3E: I I have a keyboard with white Alps and a layout and chassis that I like. I also have some donor orange Alps and blue Alps. If possible, I would prefer not to desolder and resolder switches. Would I gain anything by swapping parts from blue and/or orange Alps into the white Alps switches, or should I leave well enough alone and use the white switches as they are?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3914 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:34:16 »
My big wang arrived today :D

Show Image

Show Image

This board looks and feels absolutely new. No dust on the plate, no dirt on the caps, no shine on the spacebar, and even no scratches on the feet!
Nice, they're excellent boards :) . Very well built, excellent keycaps and very nice switches. Good catch! :)

Mike: I can help you in two weeks or so. If no-one helped in the meantime PM me :) .

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3915 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 17:47:03 »
Nevermind guys, Deskthority comes through once again.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3916 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 18:21:45 »
@E3E: I I have a keyboard with white Alps and a layout and chassis that I like. I also have some donor orange Alps and blue Alps. If possible, I would prefer not to desolder and resolder switches. Would I gain anything by swapping parts from blue and/or orange Alps into the white Alps switches, or should I leave well enough alone and use the white switches as they are?

The main difference between white and blue switches is that white Alps typically have short switchplates (I've never seen one with long plates), while blue has long plates. If you switch blue internals into the SKCM White bottoms on your Omnikey, you should get most, if not all of the feel and sound of blue Alps in that board. The only thing I could possibly see being different is the sound, due to the switchplate, but I think that's most likely negligible.

Also, those Wangs went fast on eBay. Still, the only Wang for me is one with Alps SKCM Orange. If I found one like that, I'd be set. Though I'd kinda want to use its caps for projects too.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3917 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 19:17:21 »
@E3E: Thanks for the insights about transplanting internals from other switches into white Alps lower housings. I may give this a try with a few switches to see if it seems worthwhile doing the entire keyboard.

Which Wang boards were you referring to? Were these the 725-3770 models but earlier versions that had switches other than black Alps? Apparently, the earliest version of this model had SKCM orange Alps switches.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3918 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 19:28:56 »
Typing this on my wang, but thankfully not with my wang :p The key clicker is much less annoying than the clicker on my pingmaster, partly because it is a click and not a beep. I really enjoy this board, It definitely has a place in my rotation.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3919 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 19:46:59 »
Nice looking board.

Where did you get it from?
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3920 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 19:47:44 »
Nice looking board.

Ebay

Offline E3E

« Reply #3921 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 19:48:01 »
@E3E: Thanks for the insights about transplanting internals from other switches into white Alps lower housings. I may give this a try with a few switches to see if it seems worthwhile doing the entire keyboard.

Which Wang boards were you referring to? Were these the 725-3770 models but earlier versions that had switches other than black Alps? Apparently, the earliest version of this model had SKCM orange Alps switches.

No problem! Always happy to offer what I can. 

Yeah, they were Wang 725-3770 boards as well, but they had Alps SKCM Orange switches. Probably the only keyboard outside of the Apple boards I can think of with them. That would be the only native Alps SKCM Orange board I'd ever want, though I did enjoy my old AEK.

I desoldered those switches for a "trade" with someone who ended up being a scammer and I found out just before I shipped them out to the guy, but sadly had already dismantled the AEK.

Nice looking board.

There were several on eBay recently for $99 plus shipping.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3922 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 19:50:19 »
The seller was accepting very low offers, ohaimark offered 50$ and was accepted, and I offered 60$ and was accepted. Not sure who got the third one.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3923 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:11:05 »
The seller was accepting very low offers, ohaimark offered 50$ and was accepted, and I offered 60$ and was accepted. Not sure who got the third one.

Well, if anyone got SKCM Orange, then I might be jealous, if not, then I'm good. :P

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3924 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:14:21 »

Well, if anyone got SKCM Orange, then I might be jealous, if not, then I'm good. :P
Thse skcm salmons feel amazing, possibly because theyre all but brand new. No matter what switches are in them, 60$ is a great deal for a wang.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3925 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:17:49 »

Thse skcm salmons feel amazing, possibly because theyre all but brand new. No matter what switches are in them, 60$ is a great deal for a wang.

Now now, no need to brag about the price of your Wang.

You aren't wrong, however, Alps SKCM Salmon has remained one of the most boring switches I've ever used, and I've had four Dell AT101s with them. :P

Offline E3E

« Reply #3926 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:48:35 »
Speaking of AT101s, here's the last one I've got.

Now donning the dyes caps from my Orion, with its original caps cleaned and in a bag. Pretty much just a placeholder for my key caps. I don't ever use the thing. :P

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3927 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:49:14 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:00:40 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3928 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:49:39 »
Why do you feel that salmons are so lifeless? I quite like them.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3929 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:50:11 »
Speaking of AT101s, here's the last one I've got.

Show Image

Show Image

Now donning the dyes caps from my Orion, with its original caps cleaned and in a bag. Pretty much just a placeholder for my key caps. I don't ever use the thing. :P

man... I wish I had that before you made it black T_T

Sorry, bruh.

I do have three non-dyed sets though. :P

Offline E3E

« Reply #3930 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:52:26 »

Well, compared to oranges, tactile browns, tactile creams, tactile greens... They just don't shape up well in my eyes. Another one I was curious of was pine SKCM Black--if it was any good, but people don't seem to think so if the NeXT boards with blacks are anything to go off of.  I thought they'd be pretty good. I've only got the bamboo ones from an AT101W though.

Salmons aren't bad switches, but in contrast to the others I enjoy, they're a little anemic, just in my perspective.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3931 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:54:12 »

Well, compared to oranges, tactile browns, tactile creams, tactile greens... They just don't shape up well in my eyes. Another one I was curious of was pine SKCM Black--if it was any good, but people don't seem to think so if the NeXT boards with blacks are anything to go off of.  I thought they'd be pretty good. I've only got the bamboo ones from an AT101W though.

Salmons aren't bad switches, but in contrast to the others I enjoy, they're a little anemic, just in my perspective.
Agreed, it doesnt come close to the keyfeel of the creams in my omnikey, and some of them click on the way up, but I think that gives the board character.

Offline E3E

« Reply #3932 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 20:54:56 »
Agreed, it doesnt come close to the keyfeel of the creams in my omnikey, and some of them click on the way up, but I think that gives the board character.

I also agree that upstroke clicks are kind of charming in a weird way, haha.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3933 on: Thu, 06 October 2016, 22:01:29 »
I've found my salmon boards to feel and sound more or less identical to orange boards, except stiffer. I think salmons are great switches tbh, I just prefer the weighting of oranges.

I also doubt the different switchplates cause a significantly different feel. It makes much more sense that the sliders, lubricant, leaves and coil springs, all of which are different between typical white and blue Alps, cause the difference in feel. It also explains why early whites feel better than late ones. The switchplate may well cause or contribute to the difference in sound though.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3934 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 16:18:32 »
Switched to my SGI. Forgot how nice the board is. The SKCM Creams are definitely better than SKCM Orange however.

Reminds me I need to delsolder the other PCB.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3935 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 18:13:34 »
Are the creams damped or undamped? Based on my brief encounters with damped cream Alps, I did not like them at all. However, I sort of like the undamped cream Alps in my NeXT non-ADB keyboard. I have an SGI Granite with damped white Alps -- I will give this another try one of these days.

Thus far in my recent Alps frenzy, my favorite board is a Northgate Omnikey 101 with cleaned and lubed white Alps -- the switches are smooth and crisp, and the board is the essence of solidity.

This weekend, I hope to finish my partial refurbishing of a Leading Edge DC-3014 with blue Alps to see if these switches live up to their reputation. All I will be doing for the moment is painting the case, installing a Soarer's Converter with a flush-mount micro-USB connector, and replacing the keycaps with dye-sub PBT from an SGI Granite. If the switches do not seem up to par, I will consider opening them all, sonicating the removable parts, blowing out the lower housings, possibly cleaning the switchplates with contact cleaner, and lubing the slider rails and click-leaf side of the sliders with Superlube 51010 oil. However, I hope to avoid all this, which might undo the voodoo that is performed on blue Alps at the factory.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3936 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 21:18:28 »
Are the creams damped or undamped? Based on my brief encounters with damped cream Alps, I did not like them at all. However, I sort of like the undamped cream Alps in my NeXT non-ADB keyboard. I have an SGI Granite with damped white Alps -- I will give this another try one of these days.

Thus far in my recent Alps frenzy, my favorite board is a Northgate Omnikey 101 with cleaned and lubed white Alps -- the switches are smooth and crisp, and the board is the essence of solidity.

This weekend, I hope to finish my partial refurbishing of a Leading Edge DC-3014 with blue Alps to see if these switches live up to their reputation. All I will be doing for the moment is painting the case, installing a Soarer's Converter with a flush-mount micro-USB connector, and replacing the keycaps with dye-sub PBT from an SGI Granite. If the switches do not seem up to par, I will consider opening them all, sonicating the removable parts, blowing out the lower housings, possibly cleaning the switchplates with contact cleaner, and lubing the slider rails and click-leaf side of the sliders with Superlube 51010 oil. However, I hope to avoid all this, which might undo the voodoo that is performed on blue Alps at the factory.
Non damp from the NeXT's. I have SKCM Orange in the SGI.

Why would you paint a 3014? Also arent they AT/PS/2? Also if you are going to clean the switches I would just dust them out. Sonic cleaning them (in the sliders case) will remove lube. I personally would not lube them etiher unless they are really bad like my Taobao ones. Given its a 3014 I would say there not that bad.

Also desoldered the other SGI and threw the good case onto my original one. Not only is it not marked but it seems that my old case was a bit warped on the right side compared to this one. I could slide my mouse mat under it but this one is solid on all corners. It also seems that the spacebar sounds more hollow than it used to be in the old case. Could just be me however.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #3937 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 22:26:44 »
I'm putting SCKL Green into the VE.A, what is the recommended plate material for linear switch? My choices are stainless steel, aluminium, and acrylic

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3938 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 22:58:19 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:00:15 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #3939 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 23:02:48 »
I'm putting SCKL Green into the VE.A, what is the recommended plate material for linear switch? My choices are stainless steel, aluminium, and acrylic
stainless steel

Yep. Stainless

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3940 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 23:20:40 »

Hmm, I thought  Chryos stated they feel identical to SCKM Brown except for weighting and some small acoustic differences?

Offline E3E

« Reply #3941 on: Fri, 07 October 2016, 23:34:33 »

Hmm, I thought  Chryos stated they feel identical to SCKM Brown except for weighting and some small acoustic differences?

SKCM Salmons? No, like he mentioned up there, they're similar to Alps SKCM Orange but stiffer (they also feel more hollow to me).

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3942 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 08:11:52 »
@Mattr567: Why paint a DC-3014? Why do any sort of mod on any keyboard? Yes, it is already AT protocol, but I like to have a detachable USB cable and to make the board completely programmable, so it's handy to do the conversion. Although a full-size board will have plenty of redundant keys, programming gives me the option of a HHKB-like layout in the main typing area. I try to do this on all my keyboards so that there is always some consistency in the layouts.

Yes, I agree with you about the switches. I don't plan to do anything major to them unless the switches seem scratchy or exhibit binding. As I said, there must be some sort of voodoo ritual performed on blue Alps at the factory, and I would not want to undo the spell -- it seems plausible that they have applied some sort of dry lubricant that would be removed if the switches were sonicated.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3943 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 08:33:54 »

@Mattr567: Why paint a DC-3014?

I think that it is kind of a shame to paint a classic keyboard, because any sort of paint job, no matter how good, will eventually start to break down and come off.

The only cases that I have painted were ones that I repaired and the paint was my attempt to conceal the work.

The exception to that is components of iron which usually need paint, or something, to prevent rust.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3944 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 08:58:00 »
@fohat: Yes, I see your points and I actually tend to agree. The few cases I have painted thus far look great at the moment (to me at least), but I am concerned about the paint wearing off or getting scratched, etc.  For cases made of material that can withstand the temperatures used, powder coating could be a better option. I am also looking into Cerakote, which can be done at lower temperatures than those used for powder coating. Even so, for the sake of preserving the original look of classic boards, it might be best to reserve color changes for keyboard cases that have suffered surface damage of some kind, including severe discoloration due to aging and/or UV exposure.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3945 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 12:51:58 »
Uhhhh hey guys, so I know its only going to be a matter of time before you guys find this keyboard as well, but I wish to come to an agreement here. We have had problems with us bidding against each other in the past and I don't want this to happen here.

I found a SKCL Amber Tandem Keyboard, was just listed. I'm not normally not a huge spender or make rash decisions but this is an amazing board. Can I have this one? :'( I looked around and I am the first one to find it. Was on my phone and was several pages deep on ebay.

-Matt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331993612418

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3946 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 12:53:54 »
Uhhhh hey guys, so I know its only going to be a matter of time before you guys find this keyboard as well, but I wish to come to an agreement here. We have had problems with us bidding against each other in the past and I don't want this to happen here.

I found a SKCL Amber Tandem Keyboard, was just listed. I'm not normally not a huge spender or make rash decisions but this is an amazing board. Can I have this one? :'( I looked around and I am the first one to find it. Was on my phone and was several pages deep on ebay.

-Matt

Nope, not the first :p You can have it though, Ill cancel my snipe bid. I was talking to its owner (ohaimark @ deskthority) and he says the switches are nice and clean.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3947 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 12:57:53 »
Damn, you guys are fast :p Thanks a lot dude.

Oh the seller is a member? Kinda figured since he knew what switches they are. Cool :)

Offline E3E

« Reply #3948 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 12:58:44 »

-Matt

I found it 10 minutes after it popped up. :P I have Tandem 6526 on my search feed since that's the board I got my SKCL Browns from.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3949 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 13:02:18 »
I follow the selller on ebay, and I got a notification that he posted new items. I dont really need any more boards now, and I dont really have any projects planned that I might want the switches for. So Its all yours.