Author Topic: Living out of a car  (Read 10235 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Living out of a car
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 15:36:19 »
If you get a CDL, you could buy a used Class A rig with a sleeper...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline JP

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 15:47:04 »

And change careers and just drive a truck all day...
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 15:48:08 »

All good until you have home time and your wife gets pregnant and needs you home...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline JP

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:01:44 »
Eh, I have no wife or home and neither of which are likely to happen anytime soon in my case.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:07:43 »

All good until you have home time and your wife gets pregnant and needs you home...

Divorce = 100% m0ar van life.. !!

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:14:20 »
I have a house, but I have also never been married xD I was 13 when my little brother was born, and my mother did not take that pregnancy well, and her health fell apart after giving birth, leaving me to raise him. My parents were also very poor, so that meant I had to hold two jobs while also getting an education to afford his diapers, food, and things he needed, and yes, I did have to lie about my age to get those jobs.

Needless to say, that part of my life was a struggle I am still shook up by, constantly being pulled in multiple directions, and constantly being ashamed of letting people down for there not being enough of me to go around. I now have a career and my own house, but I also have 3 ex fiances. I don't want children, and that chases away women, thinking I lack commitment, but they simply don't understand. It is not a lack of commitment. I lost my childhood to ensure my brother had one, and I feel like I have sacrificed too much for others already.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:20:25 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline JP

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:26:24 »
I have a house, but I have also never been married xD I was 13 when my little brother was born, and my mother did not take that pregnancy well, and her health fell apart after giving birth, leaving me to raise him. My parents were also very poor, so that meant I had to hold two jobs while also getting an education to afford his diapers, food, and things he needed, and yes, I did have to lie about my age to get those jobs.

Needless to say, that part of my life was a struggle I am still shook up by, constantly being pulled in multiple directions, and constantly being ashamed of letting people down for there not being enough of me to go around. I now have a career and my own house, but I also have 3 ex fiances. I don't want children, and that chases away women, thinking I lack commitment, but they simply don't understand. It is not a lack of commitment. I lost my childhood to ensure my brother had one, and I feel like I have sacrificed too much for others already.

I know the feeling but I can't say I've experienced things to that degree. Hopefully your brother turned out all right.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 16:28:13 »

Hrrrmm..

I think if you put that condition upfront,  you would've gotten the more in-tune female.

ALTHOUGH,  we have to wonder, a Female which doesn't want children..  Something is likely seriously wrong with this female.. and she may not be terribly pleasant a partner for the long haul..

Because it's like buying a car with no wheels..  Yea, such a car exists, and does everything else that a car does, except going anywhere..

Similarly,   Signing a Marriage (procreative) contract ,  sans the Procreation..

So user -Rich-  must find a female with an equally hard/damaged past, who does not want children, but has a good well rounded personality NOT reflecting her harsh past..

Tall order..

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 17:57:11 »
Something like this should be sufficient even for the most challenging neighborhoods.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Ford-E-Series-Van-E-250-SUPER-DUTY-B4-KEVLAR-ARMORED-LOW-RESERVE/253477382597?hash=item3b046de9c5:g:wZkAAOSwhj9akwcf&vxp=mtr

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

- or -

You can go with the van down by the river starter pack:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Ford-E-Series-Van-CHATEAU/183099657323?hash=item2aa1970c6b:g:6QIAAOSwL9taleph&vxp=mtr

(Attachment Link)

All of the clothes I have now fit in a few drawers. Wouldn't be that hard to keep them folded in my filing cabinet. And of course the climate is cold here but idling a cargo van only costs about $1.50/hour while you are trying to get back on your feet. Plus I know places I could sleep in my office where no one ever goes that I could go to in the case of extremely bad weather. Work also has a kitchen stocked with cereal, oatmeal, salad, etc. along with fridge and microwave, so my food needs would be covered there. Honestly, as long as I didn't lose my job I could pretty much live at work.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 18:14:24 »

All of the clothes I have now fit in a few drawers. Wouldn't be that hard to keep them folded in my filing cabinet. And of course the climate is cold here but idling a cargo van only costs about $1.50/hour while you are trying to get back on your feet. Plus I know places I could sleep in my office where no one ever goes that I could go to in the case of extremely bad weather. Work also has a kitchen stocked with cereal, oatmeal, salad, etc. along with fridge and microwave, so my food needs would be covered there. Honestly, as long as I didn't lose my job I could pretty much live at work.

Pretty sure they'll fire you if they found out you were pilfering work food.. amenities.. hahahaha

I'm not sure, but i think car alternators push 100-120 amps dc.. maybe less on idle.. that's certainly more than enough heat.

Offline JP

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 18:51:27 »
Naw, just get one of those heaters that can siphon gas from your gas tank.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 19:00:50 »

That's what I was thinking. They are common for Class A trucks.

in memoriam

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 19:15:51 »

That's what I was thinking. They are common for Class A trucks.

how do these heaters work..  it just burns gasoline .. ?

Wouldn't that give people cancer.

Does it have an indoor outdoor heat exchanger?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 19:18:58 »
From what I know of them, they burn a tiny amount of fuel from the tank, as it drips into a pan. The sealed exhaust from this burning heats the cab without idling the engine.

in memoriam

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 19:21:44 »
From what I know of them, they burn a tiny amount of fuel from the tank, as it drips into a pan. The sealed exhaust from this burning heats the cab without idling the engine.

What... ?

Hahahhaa.. I can't picture this.. if the exhaust is sealed, it has an intake cycle for the next firing?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 19:45:42 »
Espar cab heater:

in memoriam

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 20:05:39 »
Espar cab heater:

Jesus. $800  hahahaha

Wouldn't a lawnmower/ leafblower engine with a modified flywheel work exactly the same way.. ??

Any engineer could pull that for $200 tops.. Brand new honda engine.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 20:12:01 »
Well, just a basic oil change for a semi tractor is $250+

in memoriam

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 20:13:46 »

Hrrrmm..

I think if you put that condition upfront,  you would've gotten the more in-tune female.

ALTHOUGH,  we have to wonder, a Female which doesn't want children..  Something is likely seriously wrong with this female.. and she may not be terribly pleasant a partner for the long haul..

Because it's like buying a car with no wheels..  Yea, such a car exists, and does everything else that a car does, except going anywhere..

Similarly,   Signing a Marriage (procreative) contract ,  sans the Procreation..

So user -Rich-  must find a female with an equally hard/damaged past, who does not want children, but has a good well rounded personality NOT reflecting her harsh past..

Tall order..

You assume I don't get that out of the way up front. People seem to think it is some kind of 'mask', a front, but as time goes by and they realize it isn't, it becomes more of a big deal until everything falls apart. I totally get it though, I don't hold it against anyone who wants kids, I am just not one of those people.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 20:15:44 »
Well, just a basic oil change for a semi tractor is $250+

for diy ? or at the Sharks..

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 20:25:36 »
Another downside to a semi is the height requirement.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline JP

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 17:06:32 »

Damn, that's what she said.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 17:22:06 »

Damn, that's what she said.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 18:20:18 »
Why do I keep reading it's all about -Girth- ??

hahahahahahahaha

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 08:42:47 »
I don't want something too wide either.  :))

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 16:15:52 »
U guys know Water World ?

Living out of a van would be exactly like that.. except no swimming skills necessary ?

Offline JP

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 18:37:20 »

Living out of a van would be exactly like that.. except no swimming skills necessary ?

Swimming might be a good skill to have when your living in a van down by the river.

I always pictured van life like this, sadly this is the not the reality.

191630-0

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 19:07:23 »

Swimming might be a good skill to have when your living in a van down by the river.

(Attachment Link)

Yea basically watching all of the van builds on youtube..

People don't have a very good ventilation system for cooking..

They all have this tiny fan in the top middle of their van, but imho, it should be duct to the cooker..

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 19:31:40 »

(Attachment Link)

Yea basically watching all of the van builds on youtube..

People don't have a very good ventilation system for cooking..

They all have this tiny fan in the top middle of their van, but imho, it should be duct to the cooker..

When I was driving a truck with my trainer, he brought along a cooler with food and a propane stove. When we stopped for the night, he would setup his stove outside the truck and cook his steaks or whatever. Boiled water for oatmeal in the morning before leaving.

in memoriam

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 19:44:32 »

When I was driving a truck with my trainer, he brought along a cooler with food and a propane stove. When we stopped for the night, he would setup his stove outside the truck and cook his steaks or whatever. Boiled water for oatmeal in the morning before leaving.

Yea, temporary is fine.

The ducting is for when they can't do it outside or in unremitting weather.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 03:12:47 »
i cant drive a tent

well, you'd pack the tent, and put it in the trunk for when you need to drive out for supplies.

But he just said you can't drive a tent.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 03:15:10 »
Tiny Truck + Mini Trailer = Super Small Mobile Camper Car!

The thing is, where would anyone who lived in something like this have to go?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 03:23:54 »
Tp4 = Never outside...

I've gotta ask: Is it because you don't want to, or because you're not allowed to?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 09:01:01 »
Tp4 = Never outside...

I've gotta ask: Is it because you don't want to, or because you're not allowed to?

Lack of appropriate outside activity..

Tp4 goes outside, and what's there to do ?

There's Costco

There's Home Depot

There's the Movie theater

And what else... ??

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 17:52:08 »
Tp4 = Never outside...

Lack of appropriate outside activity..

Tp4 goes outside, and what's there to do ?

There's Costco

There's Home Depot

There's the Movie theater

And what else... ??

More girrlz outside where tp4 is not, than inside where tp4 is.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JP

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:09:30 »
Hey Tp4,

I found a opportunity for you to meet some girls in Vegas. You just need a van to get this gig.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers/comments/866z28/las_vegas_vandweller_job_available/

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:18:21 »
Hey Tp4,

I found a opportunity for you to meet some girls in Vegas. You just need a van to get this gig.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers/comments/866z28/las_vegas_vandweller_job_available/

This is exactly the kind of leaflet a Murderer would write up..

hahahaha..

/cowardice overwhelming

JP, perhaps we install a gun-turret on van.. van with gun-turret..  couple of servos,, hook it up to an Aimbot,,  full auto. !!

Offline JP

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:22:36 »
Hey, I did post a van for sale I found on eBay that is lined with kevlar and bullet resistant glass. If anything you could also sell vegetarian food from your van. That may even keep some of the undesirables away. Also try and steer clear from the lot lizards.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:25:45 by JP »

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 22:31:02 »
Hey, I did post a van for sale I found on eBay that is lined with kevlar and bullet resistant glass. If anything you could also sell vegetarian food from your van. That may even keep some of the undesirables away. Also try and steer clear from the lot lizards.

u never know, might get lucky, and not get a lizard..

Offline JP

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 22 March 2018, 07:38:19 »
u never know, might get lucky, and not get a lizard..

That's the spirit.