Author Topic: Look at what I found (Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard)  (Read 2864 times)

Offline MGMorden

Look at what I found (Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard)
« on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 16:07:34 »
I was at my parents' house visiting this weekend and I've still got a whole heap of stuff in my old room there.  Way back 15-20 years ago I used to collect a lot of vintage 1980's computers that I'd find in thrift stores and such and went to go find a Commodore 64 for another thing I'm playing with.

Under the bed with a lot of old computers I found an Apple IIgs I didn't know I'd even bought, including this ADB keyboard with Alps SKCM Orange switches :)

It really, really needs some cleaning, and I don't currently have an ADB to USB converter to even test it, but it seems to be in otherwise good shape.  Now I just gotta build one of those Teensy ADB converters :).

Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline macguy80

Re: Look at what I found (Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 21:00:45 »
That keyboard is also known as the Apple IIgs Keyboard. You've probably got the Japan-made variant that used Alps switches, as opposed to other versions which used different (but still decent) switches.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 10:45:28 »
I've got one of those in my parents' storage room.  I always liked typing on the ones that my middle school had.  They seem to be almost exactly the same as the smaller Apple Keyboard that was sold for Macs, but with different keycaps and a different case.

Offline MGMorden

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:27:05 »
Yeah I like the feel of it.  I'm planning on researching the stuff needed to build the ADB to USB converter this weekend and then putting in an order (from what I can tell it's just a Teensy and the appropriate connectors but I'd also like to find a 3d-printable case if I can.

I'm also am having a devil of a time getting the marker off of the top front of it.

Only thing I DON'T like is that the home row index bumps are on D and K instead of F and J.  I guess Apple just wanted to be different :).
Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:28:57 »
Yeah I like the feel of it.  I'm planning on researching the stuff needed to build the ADB to USB converter this weekend and then putting in an order (from what I can tell it's just a Teensy and the appropriate connectors but I'd also like to find a 3d-printable case if I can.

I'm also am having a devil of a time getting the marker off of the top front of it.

Only thing I DON'T like is that the home row index bumps are on D and K instead of F and J.  I guess Apple just wanted to be different :).

Just swap them with F and J, it's not like you actually look at those keys anyway lol :P

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 13:47:38 »
Nice keyboard to find, it's one of the few that I haven't owned over the years, but I don't think it's really any different from other Apple boards from the time period.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Riverman

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 14:57:57 »
Mine has "Lake Washington School District" melted into the top of the case, so I think you'll have better luck restoring yours than I will with mine.  :D  I hope you get the ADB to USB adapter built and working.  I count myself lucky that I bought a Griffin iMate back when they were still being made.  I hated the rubber dome keyboards Apple included with their early USB-equipped computers so I bought one so I could keep using my Extended Keyboard II.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 10:50:33 »
Mine has "Lake Washington School District" melted into the top of the case, so I think you'll have better luck restoring yours than I will with mine.  :D  I hope you get the ADB to USB adapter built and working.  I count myself lucky that I bought a Griffin iMate back when they were still being made.  I hated the rubber dome keyboards Apple included with their early USB-equipped computers so I bought one so I could keep using my Extended Keyboard II.

I luckily have an iMate from a few years ago when they were only selling for $15-20 on eBay, whereas they now sell for 2-3x that amount. But at this point, I'd much rather buy a prebuilt TMK ADB-USB converter from Hasu for $35 and support a member of our community than the people selling iMates for $50-60.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170