Author Topic: Greets from Paris  (Read 1675 times)

Offline ephemeral25

Greets from Paris
« on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 14:48:47 »
Hello guys,

I did fall into the rabbit a month or two ago though it's been a while since I am using MK.

Let me introduice myself with my current situation.
I am an IT engineer student in apprenticeship (this allows me to stay above water with this expensive hobby). Before joining geekhack, I used to frequent reddit a lot and many Discord servers. At this time I joined few gb tough I didn't received any yet and modded almost all current generic mk I have.
For the moment, I am really deeping into dactylography. It is really something important to me, allowing me to develop my productivity and more importantly get less fatigue while typing. I recently switched from ISO FR to ANSI because for the moment this game is mainly aimed at the english community (especially keysets). Technically this is totally fine but I don't want to be restained in my choices.
At some point I might dive into firmware etc.. but I already have lots of projects going on either for my school and my work.

Marketed MK section

I will list all my keyboard in a timeline (from older the to newest) and tell you a bit of their story:
First of all is the Steelseries 6vg2, my first mechanical keyboard that I got in 2016.(Since then I am still not used to the stock MX Black spring). As I was a kid, I went for the cheaper MK available in the French Market (60e). I still think it is well built. The only downside is the proprietary layout that prevent you from changing the keyset.
Couples months later I got a cheap Chinese Magicforce 68 with outemu blues because I wanted to try loud clicky switches.
Then I jumped on a Corsair K65 RGB with mx red only because I got a big discount. I remember going back and forth between the steelseries and the corsair because as said I didn't really liked mx black neither the mx red.

I really wanted to settle and get the best board I could. Last year I acquire a beautiful Filco Majestouch 2 with Cheery mx brown, instantly wd40 the board and enjoyed it till few month ago when I felt into the rabbit hole and started learning the ANSI layout with my magicforce. This is a painfull board to acquire in France where all the community is "gamers" and all board are only the ultra marketed one. Back then I managed to import it from UK, by now I think that it is easier, the website I used is better referenced on the internet.

Modding section

It's been 2 years since I am using a 20euros chinese soldering station (VTSS4N), never changed the tip and working properly but at some point I might go crazy with the looonnnnnngg heating time. Plus I avoid letting it rum for long period because even if I didn't had any major problem with it, I just don't trust this tool.
Now about the mods..
I started modding with my magicforce as by the time I was using ISO FR layout and it was a cheap ANSI board. I practiced a lot with it then jump on a Massdrop... drop of tactile switches (gateron browns) to swap the mx black of my steelseries.
Few month ago I did swap my filco with more Gateron browns and custom 67g spring from aliexpress + TX switch film and custom "ninja" like PBT keyset.
More Recently I got a 75% acrylic kit from aliexpress, assembled with Zilent Aqua (205 + 105)  and durock stabs (205g0). This is the board I am currently typing on.
The project I like the most is my magicforce. I did recently populate it with the Mx black of my steelseries lubed with 205+105 and moded the stabs. I achieved NO rattle with stock stabs, incredible for such a cheap board!

My first (neglegting the 75% aliexpress) fully custom board will be a Electrotype 84 from Switch Couture with Kailh creams. This will be the time for me to break the myth of the breaking in switches. I can't recommend you enough to go check out SC stuff and/or join the discord server. Justin is a true passionate, communicative about his work.
I am also waiting for a disciple 65, really liked the concept of soldering it all and get a complete nude board without proper case nor plate.

I hope in the future to see european conventions :rolleyes:

But guys remember
Lot's of interesting GB are coming,
So stay safe with all this crap corona,

Ephemeral25

Offline Kassglas

Re: Greets from Paris
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 01:05:15 »
It's very good with what you are doing right now.

Offline ephemeral25

Re: Greets from Paris
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 14:31:08 »
It's very good with what you are doing right now.

My english is quite limited here.

If you are talking about the fact that I work in IT and use MK then yeah... This make sense to work with proper tools that you enjoy working with ;)