Author Topic: What have I gotten myself into?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline mang0

What have I gotten myself into?
« on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 11:58:02 »
Hello! New here. Just bought my first mech keyboard... a couple days ago. Waiting for it to get shipped. Just lurking now. Yay!

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: What have I gotten myself into?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 09:31:14 »
You've gotten yourself into a world of having a thin wallet  :p

What keyboard did you end up getting as your first mech?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 16:44:33 »
Get a hhkb and don't turn back. This place is a wasteland of plastic skulls.

RUN.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 16:46:14 »

Get a hhkb and don't turn back. This place is a wasteland of plastic skulls.

RUN.

Listen to the ass, wise words.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 16:52:45 »
Listen to the shark about listening to the ass.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 21:52:03 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You have gotten yourself into a nearly bottomless rabbit hole of keyboard possibilities!

Which keyboard did you order?  Which switches?  Any plans to customise it?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mang0

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 16:26:01 »
Sorry for the late responses... haven't had much time lately!

I got the WASD Code 104 with MX clears. It currently has the white Vortex doubleshot PBT+POM keycap set, but I may be replacing it with the Varmilo mint keycaps in the near future. I've pretty much decided that I'll be using mx clears at home and mx browns at work (so my co-workers don't go crazy). Not sure how I feel about the tenkey yet though. I DO like the keypad, but I really liked the TKL position as well.

Offline Gaspar

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 23:23:28 »
That's good, thats what I'm getting for my brother's birthday, WASD v2 104 Brown Mx with vortex black side printed caps.

Welcome to GH!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 23:10:26 »
Sorry for the late responses... haven't had much time lately!

I got the WASD Code 104 with MX clears. It currently has the white Vortex doubleshot PBT+POM keycap set, but I may be replacing it with the Varmilo mint keycaps in the near future. I've pretty much decided that I'll be using mx clears at home and mx browns at work (so my co-workers don't go crazy). Not sure how I feel about the tenkey yet though. I DO like the keypad, but I really liked the TKL position as well.

Those mint keycaps look very nice - I have thought about trying to buy just a set of the keycaps, but the one time I saw them available for sale there was something stopping me from buying them.  I have 5 other key sets on the way at the moment, so that was probably not a bad thing :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ