Author Topic: [GB] SA Symbiosis R2 - Finished  (Read 257195 times)

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
Re: [GB] SA Symbiosis R2 - GB launches
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 16:21:27 »
****ed up my order on Kono.
Contacted the support to cancel the order so that I can reorder it correctly.
They are not answering any mails (I just get the autoreply that a new support-ticket has been created).

Does anybody know how long they normally take to answer mails?

Offline bcbishop

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 18:58:12 »
Man. While I'm still quite excited about this set, the pricing is a bit of a gut punch. Hard to stomach things like a spacebar not being included in the main alphas kit when the only option left is to buy a spacebar "kit" that runs $16.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 22:34:44 »
Man. While I'm still quite excited about this set, the pricing is a bit of a gut punch. Hard to stomach things like a spacebar not being included in the main alphas kit when the only option left is to buy a spacebar "kit" that runs $16.

Dude try justifying a 50 dollar spacebar kit when the choices kit is only 25. These prices are weird
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline BalticSubmarine

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 00:26:49 »
Anybody interested in a 60% only kit? I'm trying to get a few sets of the F1-F12 keys and so I'll have to buy multiple mods sets and won't need the other keys. We can arrange some sort of split.

Just curious what do you plan on doing with all those F keys

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 02:00:56 »

Dude try justifying a 50 dollar spacebar kit when the choices kit is only 25. These prices are weird

Like I said before, the price of a kit is not only about the number of keys, but also base on popularity and MOQ. It's counterintuitive at the first look but it happened from time to time in keyset GBs. You could list many examples:

SA Carbon R2:
Warning Sign kit: 36 keys, $12.99 (later up to $24.99)
Spacekeys kit: 10 keys, $24.99

SA Oblivion:
Assembly kit: 28keys, $25.99
Monochrome OSX kit:  15keys, $32.99

They're weird too if you only count the number of keys.

For the Symbiosis Alpha kit, it doesn't have a 6.25u gray spacebar because Modifiers kit has the spacebar and most Ortholinear, Ergodox, etc. keyboard users don't need this spacebar. It's a usual way to split the kits. You could see it in SA Carbon R2, SA Pulse, SA Green Screen. It's not intended to leave out the spacebar in Alpha kit so that you guys have to buy an extra, expensive spacebars kit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2018, 04:47:00 by hhkbp2 »

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 07:45:03 »
there are definitely other factors i.e. popularity and MOQ, but $53.99 for spacekeys is too much for me as well.

Good luck with the GB!

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 08:02:18 »
there are definitely other factors i.e. popularity and MOQ, but $53.99 for spacekeys is too much for me as well.

Good luck with the GB!

The prices/quotes of SP SA keycaps are kind of transparent, given so many GB ran nowadays. I don't think that Kono Store is doing crazy up-charging.

Anyway, thanks for your support!

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 08:21:19 »

Agreed. For comparison, Carbon spacekeys opened at $30. The closest Carbon set to cadet is the mac kit which opened at $25. You can try and spin the pricing model and defend it all you want, but either kono or sp is gouging some of the kits in this set, and I think they would honestly hit a higher moq than "expected" if they were priced fairly. That's just my opinion though, and I'll have to pass on some kits, but I'm still getting Symbiosis. Just bummed I can't get all the kits I had planned.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 08:44:56 »

Agreed. For comparison, Carbon spacekeys opened at $30. The closest Carbon set to cadet is the mac kit which opened at $25. You can try and spin the pricing model and defend it all you want, but either kono or sp is gouging some of the kits in this set, and I think they would honestly hit a higher moq than "expected" if they were priced fairly. That's just my opinion though, and I'll have to pass on some kits, but I'm still getting Symbiosis. Just bummed I can't get all the kits I had planned.

I can't explain everything, and I don't know why Carbon spacekeys could start at $30. Months ago before any vendor got involved, the spacebars kit didn't have these 3u keys yet and I tried to get the quote from SP a few times. Even then the spacebars kit was quoted by SP to be more than $30 already at the corresponding Carbon $30 MOQ. I don't see a way that we could get same price like Carbon last year. I hope everything is cheap enough for you guys to buy happily, and I tried to do my best. I think I had talked to Kono Store seriously about this and this is the best we could work out.

Thanks for your feedbacks.

« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2018, 08:50:15 by hhkbp2 »

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:04:01 »

This for $39

And this for $54. I mean come on guys. Eight keys for $39 and 10 keys for $54. These prices are nuts. I want to join but you guys can't be serious with the pricing for some of these kits right?
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:09:54 by otanishock »

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:15:08 »
Can we not have a little trust in Kono and hhkbp2? I think they would probably be more than happy to have lower prices if that’s what they were given by SP. At the end of the day there’s only so much that can be done if SP is saying this is the price.

I think if anyone really wants to find an answer, instead of complaining or thinking they are owed something, they should contact SP and get a quote for the kit they are concerned about and see what they say.

Sounds a bit harsh, but everyone is piling on here comparing old prices to new prices without any actual evidence. I’m not happy that the spacekeys cost this much either but it’s not fair to assume that Kono is making a killing on this kit.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:20:02 »
I remember SA Pulse started with a high price for the minibars kit too, but it hit some really good price drops on the last day. Even then, it only started at $40...

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:32:51 »
Can we not have a little trust in Kono and hhkbp2?

I don't distrust hhkbp2. If anything I feel sympathetic for him because of all the pricing drama. I'm mostly suspicious of SP at this point tbh.

At the end of the day there’s only so much that can be done if SP is saying this is the price.

instead of complaining or thinking they are owed something

I don't think questioning pricing that is significantly higher than past pricing is complaining or entitlement. The ability to raise alarm on this is vital to a free market and consumers are under absolutely no obligation to blindly accept a company's product/pricing.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:39:46 »
Can we not have a little trust in Kono and hhkbp2?

I don't distrust hhkbp2. If anything I feel sympathetic for him because of all the pricing drama. I'm mostly suspicious of SP at this point tbh.

At the end of the day there’s only so much that can be done if SP is saying this is the price.

instead of complaining or thinking they are owed something

I don't think questioning pricing that is significantly higher than past pricing is complaining or entitlement. The ability to raise alarm on this is vital to a free market and consumers are under absolutely no obligation to blindly accept a company's product/pricing.

I agree with all of your points here and also think it’s SP that’s setting the bar.

I also had asked earlier for the price to be double checked on the spacekeys cause it seemed incorrect to me so I’m all for calling out what may seem like incorrect pricing. Kono and hhkbp2 verified that is what they were quoted from SP so I guess the only way to let SP know it’s not acceptable is to not buy those kits. Certainly that does suck for hhkbp2 who put in so much work creating these sets.

I think at this point though it doesn’t really make sense for everyone to keep talking in circles about set “x” having the spacekeys cheaper. That’s all I’m getting at.

Offline beekey

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 10:15:30 »
With GB done via Massdrop, at least the reduction points are transparent.
No idea if Kono is going to change price depending an number of sets.

I need 2 keys from the spacekeys set. Making this a deal breaker. Why buy any other kit, when I can‘t fit my layout? Just buy the alphas and find ohter sets to arange around it?
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2018, 12:09:27 by beekey »

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 10:24:32 »
No idea if Kono is going to change price depending an number if sets.

They are not. Prices are fixed and will remain the same no matter how many sets are ordered. OP confirmed this a few posts back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 10:41:17 »
I think at this point though it doesn’t really make sense for everyone to keep talking in circles about set “x” having the spacekeys cheaper. That’s all I’m getting at.

Yeah, you're probably right there. At this point I'm just trying to decide if I want to shell out for Cadet because this is one of my endgame sets. It may be worth it in the end to overpay a little.

I need 2 keys from the spacekeys set. Making this a deal breaker. Why buy any other kit, when I can‘t fit my layout? Just buy the alphas an find ohter sets to arange around it?

They are not. Prices are fixed and will remain the same no matter how many sets are ordered. OP confirmed this a few posts back.

KeyClack may be a good option in the future too if Kono is unable to offer drop points. Massdrop is often backed up on sets and a lot of people don't really like Massdrop anyways.

Offline vodan

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 11:11:50 »
I see them on zFrontier's Chinese site now! Just waiting for the English side to put this up and will be placing my order :thumb:

As for pricing on some of the sets...not necessarily saying that I fully agree with SP's pricing, but I used to work in manufacturing and honestly orders with small quantities always get shafted because the amount of work (ie labor/time/QA cost) gets divided over a much much smaller number, so the prices go way up. But personally I've been waiting for this to drop for quite a while, and it's my first GB since getting into this hobby, so I'm willing to pay a bit more than expected to get the sets I want.

Offline beekey

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 12:44:22 »

I need 2 keys from the spacekeys set. Making this a deal breaker. Why buy any other kit, when I can‘t fit my layout? Just buy the alphas an find other sets to arrange around it?

KeyClack may be a good option in the future too if Kono is unable to offer drop points. Massdrop is often backed up on sets and a lot of people don't really like Massdrop anyways.
I'm also not much of a Massdrop fan. I made the point of making it transparent. Even if this sells like hell, we will not get better prices.
If the original prices takes low initial MOQ into account, we would not benefit of higher numbers. They have almost no risk, and will benefit from the increased margin if it goes well.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 15:07:50 »
Is mykeyboard.eu still in business? There was no reaction on their website all this week... Buying from Kono is the safest, right? (I know there would be an extra customs charge for Europe)

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 23:36:25 »

Can OP comment on this?  If prices are fixed, does that mean this will be limited quantity?

Want to overlook what appears to be pricing mistakes with Cadet and Spacekeys kits,
Too many pricing related weirdness makes me uneasy.

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 00:05:47 »
Show Image

This for $39

Show Image

And this for $54. I mean come on guys. Eight keys for $39 and 10 keys for $54. These prices are nuts. I want to join but you guys can't be serious with the pricing for some of these kits right?

I love the set (as well as GMK space cadet) and will buy some kits anyway but I also was shocked when seeing the price of the cadet kit. All I want is a "Rub out" in place of "Cap locks" but the price wall is a no-no. So far, the alpha and game kits are most accessible and I think they would sell well.

Keyset prices are inflated and lead time will soon be in years. I am feeling we are in a monopoly of SP.

Offline Tordp

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 01:38:22 »
Is mykeyboard.eu still in business? There was no reaction on their website all this week... Buying from Kono is the safest, right? (I know there would be an extra customs charge for Europe)

I also buy directly from Kono even though I'm from EU. Did the same with SA Trouble Minds because it feels "safer" somehow...

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 01:58:31 »
Shame they couldn't include the 1.75u shift in the modifiers kit...

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 02:41:04 »

Can OP comment on this?  If prices are fixed, does that mean this will be limited quantity?

Want to overlook what appears to be pricing mistakes with Cadet and Spacekeys kits,

We don't have price drops. Because it's too hard to do price drops and organize across 20+ kits and 3 vendors/proxies. There are 3 systems, 20+ SKUs, thousands of orders. It’s unpractical for support staff across 3 vendors/proxies to institute a manual price change on a product, then track down every individual order per SKU and manually refund each person. So it’s better to estimate where it will land. Once we add proxies, we lost flexibility.

As for the prices of Cadet kit and Spacekeys kit, Kono Store verified that they are correct. I made examples in previous posts to elaborate the price are not only about the number of keys, but also affected by other factors such as popularity and MOQ, fee on new legends, etc. It's counterintuitive at the first look. And this is the best price Kono Store could have.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 02:47:42 »

The GB is up on Zfrontier now for Asia and China. Mykeyboard should be there soon.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 02:49:21 »

We don't have price drops. Because it's too hard to do price drops and organize across 20+ kits and 3 vendors/proxies. There are 3 systems, 20+ SKUs, thousands of orders. It’s unpractical for support staff across 3 vendors/proxies to institute a manual price change on a product, then track down every individual order per SKU and manually refund each person. So it’s better to estimate where it will land. Once we add proxies, we lost flexibility.

As for the prices of Cadet kit and Spacekeys kit, Kono Store verified that they are correct. I made examples in previous posts to elaborate the price are not only about the number of keys, but also affected by other factors such as popularity and MOQ, fee on new legends, etc. It's counterintuitive at the first look. And this is the best price Kono Store could have.

Gotcha.  Thx for answering what must have been repetitive questions.

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 03:09:21 »
   You're truly doing human kind a great service with this kit!
I'm curious as to what the thinking for the "40s" set is? Specifically the name "40s" got me stumped, as it seems to refer to something? (I've only been keeping an eye on the geekhack community until now, so maybe this is obvious to the rest?)

Also, I assume there are no printed Greek characters on the front of the keys, or they would have been shown, and would naturally have increased the price by much.

To those complaining about the price, just watch the Symbolics Space Cadet keyboard review (Honeywell Hall effect 4B3E) video on repeat until you psyched yourselves to buy.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 03:13:51 »

I need 2 keys from the spacekeys set. Making this a deal breaker. Why buy any other kit, when I can‘t fit my layout? Just buy the alphas an find other sets to arrange around it?

I'm also not much of a Massdrop fan. I made the point of making it transparent. Even if this sells like hell, we will not get better prices.
If the original prices takes low initial MOQ into account, we would not benefit of higher numbers. They have almost no risk, and will benefit from the increased margin if it goes well.

I don't think it will be too hard for Kono Store or any other vendor to support drop points, if they work like Massdrop, without any proxy. They could just list the price drops and update the sold numbers of all kits every once in a while. One employee is enough to do this job. Even the very new vendor Techbuys, who ran SA Mechanist, has drop prices on it website. But it's too hard to perform drop prices if you organize across dozens of kits and many proxies, with each proxy having a different system. There are many systems, 20+ SKUs, thousands of orders. It’s unpractical for support staff across 3 vendors/proxies to institute a manual price change on a product, then track down every kit's sold number and every individual order per SKU and then manually refund each person. It's high risk for something to go wrong.

We need good proxy service indeed, especially for China. There were many problems happened between Massdrop and KP over the past years on proxying orders to China. Many members in Chinese keyboard community suffered from poor proxy service. I don't want it to happen again for this GB.

For a kit that has high price at start MOQ, it may help a little if we have some kind of transparency for buyers to feel, "Well, the start price is high but there could be chance more people will buy in and it will hit the next price drop", but we already saw what happened for the Modifiers kit of SA Green Screen in the end. It's not a game changer whether to have Massdrop way, or Kono way, else.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2018, 03:43:31 by hhkbp2 »

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 03:41:53 »
   You're truly doing human kind a great service with this kit!
I'm curious as to what the thinking for the "40s" set is? Specifically the name "40s" got me stumped, as it seems to refer to something? (I've only been keeping an eye on the geekhack community until now, so maybe this is obvious to the rest?)

Also, I assume there are no printed Greek characters on the front of the keys, or they would have been shown, and would naturally have increased the price by much.

To those complaining about the price, just watch the Symbolics Space Cadet keyboard review (Honeywell Hall effect 4B3E) video on repeat until you psyched yourselves to buy.

Thanks! Good advice of watching video.  :)) :)) I like to hear feedbacks and do communication. Not taking these as complaining.

The name 40s means this kit as for many 40% keyboards, including JD40, Minivan, Pearl, Vortex, Golbat, Minorca, etc. The name 40s is there for a long time. You could find 40s kit happened in many previous GBs.

As for the front-printing Greek symbols, I planned to give it a try but later the idea was dropped. We won't have them in this GB.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2018, 03:44:24 by hhkbp2 »

Offline impaktor

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 04:04:57 »
Thanks for clarification!

Also, to nit-pick, I don't see it written clearly anywhere that it's Cherry MX-mount, as I assume it to be.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 04:09:29 »
Thanks for clarification!

Also, to nit-pick, I don't see it written clearly anywhere that it's Cherry MX-mount, as I assume it to be.

Yes, it's of MX type. I will add something in this thread post.

Offline 5inn3d-

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 05:08:46 »
is there a reason for the prices in zfrontier to be higher for every kit?

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 05:38:07 »
is there a reason for the prices in zfrontier to be higher for every kit?

Probably due to their shipping policy - free for orders over $100.

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 07:32:30 »

Thanks for the video, Gosh, the classic space cadet keycaps were insanely thick double-shot, I couldn't imagine how it feels when typing on them :D

hhkbp2, thanks for the explanation. Just noticed your avatar is the SICP cover, happy hacking!

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 07:38:52 »

Thanks for the video, Gosh, the classic space cadet keycaps were insanely thick double-shot, I couldn't imagine how it feels when typing on them :D

hhkbp2, thanks for the explanation. Just noticed your avatar is the SICP cover, happy hacking!

Your are the first person who noticed that(and said it loud).  :))
Happy hacking!

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 08:15:23 »
Even though not entirely happy about pricing for some of the kits, I will still end up getting most of the kits and personally appreciate your hard work for the greater benefits of our community. Couldn't thank you enough!

Offline impaktor

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 08:33:44 »

Your are the first person who noticed that(and said it loud).  :))
Happy hacking!
Well, I assumed it would be too obvious to point out in a thread like this... Glad you chose the front of the cover and not the back picture of the Sussman+Abelson-thing/ composite image based on two fat balding men.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #88 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 13:32:41 »
Order placed for base+mod+numpad+spacebar. Thx for all the efforts to bring live this drop.

Offline heliar_mk

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 05:57:11 »
That means no more refund when GB closed whether the selling quantity? :eek:

Offline mkarlsson

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 06:28:42 »
Nice! What about South America customers? Don’t neglect us, please.

Ey Enrique, just wondering, what layout do you guys normarly use? ISO, ANSI? Maybe it depends on the country?

Hey!

Spanish-speaking countries such as mine (Peru) use “Spanish-Latin America” layout, which is ISO. Most South American countries except Brazil use this layout. Brazil, being a Portuguese-speaking country, uses a Portuguese variant of ISO.

I am personally a US ANSI user, though, given my background as a programmer and Vim lover. I find using US ANSI much more natural in my field of work. This is a great advantage as a keyboard enthusiast, since I have much greater selection of keyboards and keycaps to choose from.

Here in Spain we use “spanish - spain” ISO. But as you did I also switched, in my case to ISO uk.

Sorry for the off topic

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 06:31:13 »
That means no more refund when GB closed whether the selling quantity? :eek:

No. They are fixed prices. We are not running price drops with Kono Store/Zfrontier/Mykeyboard.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 06:38:44 »
Do you know when the mykeyboard link will be available?

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 06:49:33 »
Do you know when the mykeyboard link will be available?

Sorry, I don't know that for sure now. I usually talk to Kono Store only. And Andrew(from Kono Store) seems silent to my messages during weekends. Could you wait a bit longer please? I guess mykeyboard will be online soon. Will let you know if I get any update.

« Last Edit: Sun, 30 September 2018, 06:52:41 by hhkbp2 »

Offline online

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 11:04:35 »
Can order from zfronter international even if I'm in the UK?
I'm not sure where I'm gonna be after a year (I travel between Asia and Europe due to work), also, the markup on mykeyboard.eu seem high even added a import tax.

Offline Lisinge

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 16:09:27 »
I'm not sure where I'm gonna be after a year (I travel between Asia and Europe due to work), also, the markup on mykeyboard.eu seem high even added a import tax.

I've ordered from zfrontier to the EU before.

Offline online

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 17:58:34 »

And got shipped to you without problem?
if yes, I definitely going to order from zfrontier.

Offline Lisinge

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 12:27:12 »

And got shipped to you without problem?
if yes, I definitely going to order from zfrontier.

Yes! Shipping was really fast with DHL express too.

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 14:19:43 »
Ordered!

Settled on base+mods+blue spacebars as I'm trying to budget for Carbon R2 as well.  Thanks hhkbp2 for making my first SA set happen!  :thumb:

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 14:36:34 »
Oh boy... I wish I could order a set as well but the Klippe+ case by LeandreN will take most of my keyboard budget of the month. Here’s hope I can find a way around.