geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

IBM Model F 5291 Terminal (bigfoot) Keyboard

(1/9) > >>

xavierblak:
I fear this may be a bit of a lost cause but it's worth a shot. I recently acquired a handful of vintage keyboards. They're a little dirty and all the cords have been removed by someone looking for some scrap copper.

One of those keyboards was what I assumed to just be a Model F XT/AT board. But while cleaning it I opened it up and noticed it had too many wires to just be connected to a din connector. After a little searching it looks like I have a IBM 5291 Keyboard.

Anyone ever seen an adapter for one of these keyboards? Anyone have info on the pinout/protocol used to connect this to whatever terminal it was originally connected too?

Edit:
Just adding a link to some nice pics of the this model keyboard. Still googling for a protocol or pin out.

--- Quote from: Soarer on Mon, 04 November 2013, 06:57:42 ---Controller firmware is now up, and handles this keyboard :D

--- End quote ---

berserkfan:
Soarer told me his converter can't be used to convert this kind of Model F, but I'm really hoping someone on geekhack manages to do it in a reasonably easy fashion and posts his results. I really love the legs on this keyboard.

Soarer:

It has no CPU! The 'protocol' as such is driving the mux and capacitive sense chips directly. I've got proof-of-concept code working pretty well, but it needs more work.

In essence, to read a key...

* set the key code onto the D lines
* set strobe low
* delay for a microsecond or two
* read the output
* set strobe high
On the plus side, it uses the older 4-channel capsense chip which seems to be far easier to drive than the 8-channel version with its variable sensitivty setting. I've been scanning the matrix at 1000Hz :D

0100010:
Got any pics of the controller board - if it has one?

Wondering if it is like the 104 key Unsaver F's, where swapping in a 122 key F control board works to make it compatible.

xavierblak:

--- Quote from: Soarer on Tue, 24 September 2013, 16:48:44 ---Show Image

It has no CPU! The 'protocol' as such is driving the mux and capacitive sense chips directly. I've got proof-of-concept code working pretty well, but it needs more work.

In essence, to read a key...

* set the key code onto the D lines
* set strobe low
* read the output
* set strobe high
On the plus side, it uses the older 4-channel capsense chip which seems to be far easier to drive than the 8-channel version with its variable sensitivty setting. I've been scanning the matrix at 1000Hz :D

--- End quote ---

Hmm I think I follow. So I'm picking the key I want to know the status of with the D lines and then setting strobe low to get the state on the out pin? Cool, thanks for the info. Any chance you have the pinout from the pcb? I don't have the 15 pin connector anymore since my cable was removed before I bought it.

--- Quote from: 0100010 on Tue, 24 September 2013, 21:22:44 ---Got any pics of the controller board - if it has one?

--- End quote ---

I didn't but I just took some.

It's hard to say for sure unless I take the keyboard section apart but the pcb seems to continue down below the keys and is actually what registers the key contacts in place of the typical flexible membrane.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version