Author Topic: [Video] Model M Reconditioning Time Lapse!  (Read 6690 times)

Offline phosphorglow

• Model M Mechanic.
    • Phosphor Glow
[Video] Model M Reconditioning Time Lapse!
« on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 14:10:09 »
Hiyo!

Here's about 90% of the entire process, mostly in time lapse fashion! I've condensed hours of work into 13 minutes for your viewing pleasure! Unfortunately I forgot to put in a clip of how I preserve the case stamps during washing (waterproof medical bandage = win).

There's some noteworthy tricks of mine in here including label removal, marking and drilling holes in the barrel panel, and a simple method of removing the springs/hammers that doesn't involve painstakingly reinstalling them individually. I hope this helps other Model M owners who wish to try their hand at a bolt mod or just want to see how it all goes together!

« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2014, 14:12:42 by phosphorglow »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: [Video] Model M Reconditioning Time Lapse!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 14:11:08 »
Code: [Select]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JkO35gsIB8[/youtube]

Use this link instead. Https doesn't work with the Not a valid youtube URL thing for some reason.

Offline phosphorglow

• Model M Mechanic.
    • Phosphor Glow
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 14:13:15 »
Got it! Thanks!

Code: [Select]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JkO35gsIB8[/youtube]

Use this link instead. Https doesn't work with the Not a valid youtube URL thing for some reason.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 15:46:20 »
Wild. I'm definitely pointing people to this video for when they ask for a How-to on bolt modding. I'll probably use this to help me when I do my first bolt mod. And I *really* wish I thought of that tape trick on the hammers when I was working on my Kishsaver. That was a pain in the ass and so disheartening. I was like YES I GOT IT APART, CPTBadAss is happy now...*all the hammers fall out*...CPTBadAss is sad now.

Also that soundtrack made me laugh :D.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 15:48:14 »
Very good video.

Thanks!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 16:05:48 »
wow, you do excellent work, sir. That model m is cleaner than when it left the factory, lol.

Great vid, thanks for sharing  :)

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 21:46:36 »
Great video and cool music!

Offline Larken

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 01 February 2014, 23:52:05 »
this video was all kinds of awesome. thanks for sharing.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 00:07:05 »
Awesome Video! :D
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 00:22:55 »
Great post. I'm sure your video will help many DIYers out there. That music sounds very similar to the sound track to this documentary...http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/production/music/BAUD/Treewave%20-%20Cigarettes%20and%20Coffee%20Intro.mp3
SSKs for everyone!

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 02:05:21 »
Great Video! Awesome Job on the mod!
Learned a couple of helpful tricks as well.

I really can't wait to find another orphaned M to save.

One question. Did you counter sink the bolts/screws in the plate? They look flush.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline phosphorglow

• Model M Mechanic.
    • Phosphor Glow
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 17:25:22 »
Thanks everybody! Glad you liked it!

Wild. I'm definitely pointing people to this video for when they ask for a How-to on bolt modding. I'll probably use this to help me when I do my first bolt mod. And I *really* wish I thought of that tape trick on the hammers when I was working on my Kishsaver. That was a pain in the ass and so disheartening. I was like YES I GOT IT APART, CPTBadAss is happy now...*all the hammers fall out*...CPTBadAss is sad now.

Heheheh! It's a real time and labor saver for sure! I love that album. Full of 8-bit goodness.

One question. Did you counter sink the bolts/screws in the plate? They look flush.

Thanks! And great job on the SSK you rescued!!! Very nicely done.

I use flat head stainless screws, so no counter sinking needed. Well, flat head is sort of a misnomer. They're flat on the top but conical underneath so it's important to get the holes drilled correctly when using them. I like them because they look nice and I really don't like the way nuts contact the case due to their thickness. I use pan head screws on the middle row because of the smaller holes in the plate.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 20:39:54 »
Thanks everybody! Glad you liked it!

Heheheh! It's a real time and labor saver for sure! I love that album. Full of 8-bit goodness.

Thanks! And great job on the SSK you rescued!!! Very nicely done.

I use flat head stainless screws, so no counter sinking needed. Well, flat head is sort of a misnomer. They're flat on the top but conical underneath so it's important to get the holes drilled correctly when using them. I like them because they look nice and I really don't like the way nuts contact the case due to their thickness. I use pan head screws on the middle row because of the smaller holes in the plate.

Thanks for the response. I will definitely be referencing this video for my next mod.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 February 2014, 22:45:35 »
Wow, great video! If it's not too much to ask, would you share the screw and drill bit size you used? I guess the only drawback to those is they wouldn't take as kindly to being disassembled and reassembled in the future as nuts and bolts would, but with as thorough a job as you did, it'll probably be another 25 years until it needs to be taken apart again.

Offline phosphorglow

• Model M Mechanic.
    • Phosphor Glow
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 February 2014, 06:31:18 »
Wow, great video! If it's not too much to ask, would you share the screw and drill bit size you used? I guess the only drawback to those is they wouldn't take as kindly to being disassembled and reassembled in the future as nuts and bolts would, but with as thorough a job as you did, it'll probably be another 25 years until it needs to be taken apart again.

Thanks! I'm certainly aiming for the additional 25 years! :D
I use M2-0.4 x 6mm and 4mm screws, and a 1/16" drill bit.
And they actually do take kindly to being disassembled and reassembled, so no real issue there.

Offline tbc

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 00:21:26 »
I'm sufficiently impressed.  (this is the highest compliment i can give btw)

video was great; well paced with good production quality.  especially considering the source material (don't really consider keyboard modding to be a group activity or even especially fun compared to other things). 

and music wasn't **** - you're truly breaking new ground on youtube.

gj and i hope you make more videos.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 02:17:43 »
Badass just showed me this thread and wow, great Video sir! No wonder your keyboards are so clean. Great job.  :thumb: