Author Topic: What is a gasket mounted keyboard?  (Read 57313 times)

Offline deepalicious

What is a gasket mounted keyboard?
« on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 13:33:02 »
I keep hearing the term "gasket mounted" being thrown around but I don't know what that means. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to this community. I'm not sure how to justify the higher price of gasket mounts so any help would be appreciated.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: What is a gasket mounted keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 15:49:12 »
Gasket basically means that the plate is fixed by pressure instead of screws. Like the custom keyboard MEME.

Here is a picture of the meme in a explosion view. Since i don't really have a gasket mount keyboard this is the best i can explain there is probably someone else here that can explain it in more details.

Why its more expensive its because only super high end keyboard use this new mounting like system what also i presume makes the CNC more complex what makes it more expensive to manufacture.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2019, 16:02:00 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 21:13:00 »
Basically the plate is sandwiched by gaskets that can be different materials, it makes the plate more flexible and makes typing less "stiff"

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline mountainblocks

• mountainblocks.com
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 08:59:41 »
Gasket mount uses a rubber gasket to isolate the plate and PCB from direct contact with the case. It changes the way a board feels and sounds to type on, making it softer and quieter.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 11:24:25 »
Gasket mount uses a rubber gasket to isolate the plate and PCB from direct contact with the case. It changes the way a board feels and sounds to type on, making it softer and quieter.

Could that not be accomplished by some sort of spacer?

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 10:34:10 »

Could that not be accomplished by some sort of spacer?
I had the same thought actually. Maybe if someone implemented a rod system, where the plate sits on rods and there are rubber spacers in between the PCB/plate? 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline walie

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 11:03:12 »
Gasket changes the sound way more than the feel of the board. I would say the feel isnt much affected at all, a bone solid brass plate on gaskets is still a bone solid brass plate.