geekhack Community > Keyboards

Looking for next keyboard, possibly a build

(1/5) > >>

nyaR:
I've been using a Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Browns (haters are gonna hate) which I love, but the RGB LED's are starting to die on me, well, only certain colors in certain keys. It has gotten a lot of use in the 4 years I've had it, especially with telecommuting for the past 2 years due to covid, so I guess RGB's burning out is bound to happen.

I decided to consider building my next mechanical keyboard. I basically want to try to re-create this Corsair board since I think it's perfect.

For anyone with experience in building keyboards:

* Do any board kits allow you to easily swap RGB LED's when they die?
* Do any have a volume roller/knob with media controls?
If the above are both no's, I am considering the Mount Everest Max. It doesn't have replaceable LED's which is a bummer, but besides that it looks awesome.

Thockologist:
Pretty much any board with a knob will be able to adjust volume in the same way as long as it supports QMK or VIA (if the knob isn't already mapped to volume). QMK/VIA will also let you create layers which you could put the media controls on or re-assign a few of the keys you don't use often to do those things. I'd say it'd be worth giving the GMMK Pro a look since it doesn't mean having to wait for group buys but if you're after something more specific you'll have to just keep an eye on the group buys that are coming out in case there's something that jumps out.

As for the LEDs, that's sort of a difficult one. You can get in-switch LEDs which means you can de-solder the LED that failed and then throw another in there, not all PCBs will support them though. Other than that you could de-solder the surface mount LED on the PCB when it fails and then solder on a new one. The LEDs should last a somewhat decent time though.

nyaR:

--- Quote from: PoorlyDrawnKeebs on Tue, 28 September 2021, 22:19:17 ---Pretty much any board with a knob will be able to adjust volume in the same way as long as it supports QMK or VIA (if the knob isn't already mapped to volume). QMK/VIA will also let you create layers which you could put the media controls on or re-assign a few of the keys you don't use often to do those things. I'd say it'd be worth giving the GMMK Pro a look since it doesn't mean having to wait for group buys but if you're after something more specific you'll have to just keep an eye on the group buys that are coming out in case there's something that jumps out.

As for the LEDs, that's sort of a difficult one. You can get in-switch LEDs which means you can de-solder the LED that failed and then throw another in there, not all PCBs will support them though. Other than that you could de-solder the surface mount LED on the PCB when it fails and then solder on a new one. The LEDs should last a somewhat decent time though.

--- End quote ---
I was just looking at the GMMK Pro, and was all for it until I found it does not offer a number pad, which I've become used to with my Corsair.

I am going on 4 years with my Corsair, with pretty heavy use especially over the past 2 years, and I am just beginning to have LED problems. I guess I got my moneys worth, but it's a bummer to have to trash this keyboard because of the LED's failing. I otherwise love the board.

aerOcraft:

--- Quote from: nyaR on Tue, 28 September 2021, 22:25:21 ---
I was just looking at the GMMK Pro, and was all for it until I found it does not offer a number pad, which I've become used to with my Corsair.

I am going on 4 years with my Corsair, with pretty heavy use especially over the past 2 years, and I am just beginning to have LED problems. I guess I got my moneys worth, but it's a bummer to have to trash this keyboard because of the LED's failing. I otherwise love the board.

--- End quote ---

Good luck finding a full-sized. There is a very small population of the community that likes full-sized and when they come around they are usually pretty expensive relative to the other KBs in this already expensive hobby. You might be better off looking for a 75% or TKL and just getting a separate num/macro pad. Also, if you haven't already tested a bunch of switches, get a switch tester and a sample pack of tactiles (or maybe linears since you like browns and they are essentially scratchy linears). If you're going to be spending the kind of money you need to spend to get a Full-Sized on mechmarket (big woof on that price) or a 75%/TKL + num pad then it is worth testing out a bunch of different options. Hippokeys has a couple of great and very reasonably priced sample packs here. https://hippokeys.com/collections/frontpage

aerOcraft:
Oh derp...1800s. There is the Rekt1800 if you want something that feels good. Cannonkeys does a great job with their in-stock boards in terms of quality. Or if you don't care if it's plastic you can get the Stacked1800. There's also the TKC1800, but I wouldn't recommend it over the Stacked1800. If you absolutely must have a rotary encoder just buy one. I think they are silly since you can just use QMK or VIA to map whatever function you need, and you can put it on a different layer if you actually need all of the other function keys to be used for other commands. VIA makes it super easy. I wouldn't waste your money on something with a rotary encoder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version