Author Topic: What would you do with a small loan of $1 million?  (Read 19351 times)

Offline sek1ne

• Sek-eye-n
Re: What would you do with a small loan of $1 million?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 23:31:16 »
I'd probably try to buy a kosmonavt and then see if I could buy a condo nearer to downtown. Strata fees and property tax seem better than renting.
Biking is fun.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 09:55:45 »
Buy every artisan keycaps on GH and then blend them all on twitch

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 13:28:30 »
Start a small company that would sell great-looking well-designed hardware. Maybe in kit form catering only to enthusiasts in the beginning.

Start with a counterpart to the MS "Natural" keyboard but with Cherry MX switches -- which there appears to be great demand for but which no major manufacturer has come out with yet.
Next product being PC case for mITX with a smarter internal layout.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 12:14:15 »
I'd like to think that I would invest it wisely but truth be told I'd probably blow through most of it in a year and then be sad.

Edit: A loan from a close and trusted individual who is very, very lenient about the terms of the loan and how you can pay it back. But still a loan.

Knowing me, I would probably not take the loan anyway, or I would take it and simply accelarate some of the expenses I normally need to put money aside for, such as wrapping up my Ph.D., which costs a car's worth of money, or getting books etc. Not sure about investments, including business investments, because I lack the training to properly evaluate them, and I'd rather not be making gambits and risking homelessness due to seizures. One exception: I might be tempted to buy my way into a law firm as a partner and skip the usual path, then catch up quickly behind the scenes (I left the profession early after graduating, so there are gaps in my knowledge, and I don't have a ton of experience).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 21:00:08 »
I'd build a CNC shop.
You'd be broke in no time, horrible industry.

Start a small company that would sell great-looking well-designed hardware. Maybe in kit form catering only to enthusiasts in the beginning.
Boutique manufacturers usually do it as a side business to something more mainstream because unless you charge a ton, small scale manufacturing is very difficult to make profitable.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 21:03:21 »
Nowadays I'd probably spend it on making a pilot or short for a series pitch to Netflix or the like.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 21:09:03 »
$1 mil is not a lot of money, sure you can invest it, but will your investment outrun the payments? Are you sure?

I'd pay it right back.
That or move it around through various numbered bank accounts, while simultaneously changing my name and nationality..
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 00:47:17 »

I'd pay it right back.

Came to say this.

That or move it around through various numbered bank accounts, while simultaneously changing my name and nationality..

Not even sure it's worth the hassle. $1 million isn't what it used to be.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 17:47:05 »
Charter a private jet with an on-board chef and eat an incredible meal flying as high as a plane will go, then when I'm done and have had my drink and think leap out and kill myself.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 18:20:34 »
Charter a private jet with an on-board chef and eat an incredible meal flying as high as a plane will go, then when I'm done and have had my drink and think leap out and kill myself.

Maximum Dark Today.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 09:26:19 »
Finally invest more into my small business to actually get it off the ground, invest in some property, pay off what debt I have left along with the wife's student debt/loans, and then stash away a chunk for my son's schooling and a trust fund.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 14:08:56 »
Finally invest more into my small business to actually get it off the ground, invest in some property, pay off what debt I have left along with the wife's student debt/loans, and then stash away a chunk for my son's schooling and a trust fund.

Lies, you'd buy a bunch of 3090s then spend the rest on Stonks.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 14:18:02 »
well that would be part of getting said business off the ground lol, and I already have my Stonks in Duke Energy and Enbridge Energy (then my precious metals and fine art pieces). 
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2020, 14:20:59 by Darthbaggins »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 15:11:51 »
well that would be part of getting said business off the ground lol, and I already have my Stonks in Duke Energy and Enbridge Energy (then my precious metals and fine art pieces). 

There is a glut in American energy right now, the mainstreet being down leds to no one buying power.

Recovery is typically slow, because these are not meme stonks,  and of course they're doing literally NOTHING about covid.   Questionable effectiveness of vaccine, already the prevailing conclusion that it will not be a binary event.

It's smart to go long though, and you can certainly do that with Energy.  <but Opportunity cost>

Tp4 is always fearful of 'Murican energy due to the liability of our n00qular fleet, which are all operating beyond or nearly at their designed lifespan.  The NRC is essentially the industry lapdog, not a regulatory agency whatsoever. For example, of recent, they've been handing out safety inspection wavers like candy, DURING a pandemic where there is fewer crew, engineers, more operational friction.

Each reactor site in terms of risk is the equivalent of a 700Billion to 2Trillion liability. Banks / Wallstreet /smart money won't touch n00qular.  So all of these sites are publicly under-written.   That isn't to say a disaster scenario couldn't instantly KO proximal valuations.

Then there's climate change, which greatly increases the likelihood of disaster, reactors have to shut down w/ warming oceans,  Jelly fish clogging the water pipes, wild fires, etc, etc.

Offline atarione

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 18:21:55 »
I would decline a loan of 1,000,000   .... unless I thought of something 108% sure to make money..... and be able to pay off the loan very very quickly.. but honestly 2020 being what it is .. I'm well unable to think of what would be a sure enough bet...

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 21:09:31 »
Mech keebs and buy a geniuine smash tv arcade cabinet, and then invest the rest into my education

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 20 September 2020, 22:29:07 »
Step 1: buy houses
Step 2: transfer title to other person
Step 3: declare bankruptcy
Step 4: ride out 7 years
Step 5: use rent money to buy cocaine, hookers and fund a really ****ty reality tv show that would kinda be like Jersey Shore but an Australian version so it would suck even harder.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 07:21:39 »
Step 5: use rent money to buy cocaine, hookers and fund a really ****ty reality tv show that would kinda be like Jersey Shore but an Australian version so it would suck even harder.

/Best answer

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 08:04:15 »
Since it would be a loan and the future is so uncertain, I would feel compelled to invest it and only withdraw and spend the dividends.

I would use those proceeds to enhance the lives of myself, my family, and my friends. I would also consider donations to worthy non-profit organizations.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 08:25:21 »

There is a glut in American energy right now, the mainstreet being down leds to no one buying power.

Recovery is typically slow, because these are not meme stonks,  and of course they're doing literally NOTHING about covid.   Questionable effectiveness of vaccine, already the prevailing conclusion that it will not be a binary event.

It's smart to go long though, and you can certainly do that with Energy.  <but Opportunity cost>

Tp4 is always fearful of 'Murican energy due to the liability of our n00qular fleet, which are all operating beyond or nearly at their designed lifespan.  The NRC is essentially the industry lapdog, not a regulatory agency whatsoever. For example, of recent, they've been handing out safety inspection wavers like candy, DURING a pandemic where there is fewer crew, engineers, more operational friction.

Each reactor site in terms of risk is the equivalent of a 700Billion to 2Trillion liability. Banks / Wallstreet /smart money won't touch n00qular.  So all of these sites are publicly under-written.   That isn't to say a disaster scenario couldn't instantly KO proximal valuations.

Then there's climate change, which greatly increases the likelihood of disaster, reactors have to shut down w/ warming oceans,  Jelly fish clogging the water pipes, wild fires, etc, etc.

I've had the energy stocks since i was born (Grandma used to work w/ Duke Energy in their corporate offices), I had 2 shares and over the years it has grown to 100.  It is one that I plan on not messing with until absolutely necessary.  I am happy about the Enbridge as they are pushing more for renewable energy more so that Duke has. 

If I didn't have kids I would probably go the route of @fanpeople lol (minus the reality show).  But also fund some grow ops in legal states as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2020, 08:27:42 by Darthbaggins »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 09:36:45 »
I've had the energy stocks since i was born (Grandma used to work w/ Duke Energy in their corporate offices), I had 2 shares and over the years it has grown to 100.  It is one that I plan on not messing with until absolutely necessary.  I am happy about the Enbridge as they are pushing more for renewable energy more so that Duke has. 

If I didn't have kids I would probably go the route of @fanpeople lol (minus the reality show).  But also fund some grow ops in legal states as well.

Tp4 is sure DB's grandma is a good person.  At 100 shares, DB is not at risk of anything catastrophic.

Point was, if one had $1Mil in Duke,  that's worrying.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 09:40:05 »
Yeah I'd be shifting w/ that much invested  :thumb:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 24 September 2020, 07:17:30 »

Bobux comes first

Offline Yato

• Hampter.
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 06:09:31 »
make a small warehouse where i have people unlubing all the drop pandas.
discord: matas#1111

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 21:18:35 »
I'd build a CNC shop.
You'd be broke in no time, horrible industry.
Not if you open one in China.
More so in China.
You have to conquer a language before you start, then figure out how to navigate all the local and international laws and then you have to spin up a business attracting foreigners, which is more difficult that attracting local business. If you can't attract business to your machine shop here how can you expect to do it from overseas?

Your operating costs are lower to be sure, but you're handicapped everywhere else. You also will probably end up paying a lot more for some of your equipment due to import/export laws here and there. I can't imagine what it would cost to import a Haas or if you even could without breaking a few laws.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 22:04:10 »
Why would you need haas ?  China has machines as good as haas and cheaper.

Maybe not as stable.. buhhh, it's pretty ok.

I'm reasonable sure I saw alot of haas machines there, so.. i don't think import is an issue.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 23:04:54 »
What are the terms of this loan?

Is it a house mortgage? If so I would pay it off per the schedule, like $5000/month for 30 years or whatever, while enjoying living in the house. If I came across some extra cash I would consider paying off some of the principal earlier to shorten the total span and save a lot of interest.

Offline iri

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 02:48:13 »
1. kill the lender
2. dispose of the body
3. PROFIT!!11111
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 16:14:47 »
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline iri

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 16:07:33 »
Hey, now I want more gardening tips!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 14:14:45 »
Invest $500k
Spend $200k
Save   $300k

Offline al2882

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 10:11:00 »
First thing I'd do is pay off my student loans so I can be 100% debt free.

Then I'd buy a house w/o no mortgage needed so everything else I make with job can sustain my living & w/e I save can go straight into investments or retirement accounts.

That's pretty much my long term goal...but a "small" loan of 1 million will really jumpstart that. lol

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 18 October 2021, 10:26:46 »
Put $500k all on black. The rest can go into crypto. If I hit red, I run away from my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 15:57:00 »
Nice trolling ...  :rolleyes:

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 17 August 2022, 16:34:05 »
Two words. Raccoon Sanctuary.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 08:42:56 »
Put $500k all on black. The rest can go into crypto. If I hit red, I run away from my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This didn't age well, don't trust Crypto . . .

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 12:30:37 »
This person is straight up gambling.

Crypto itself shouldn't be the issue, it's that crypto is highly volatile (also misleading).
You can do just as good or bad betting on AMC or Gamestop or any other "memestock".  If you want to make money fast these can work for you, but they can also work very much against you. You're not going to earn a 300% return in a month from Apple or Microsoft stock but you're also not going to lose 300% either. Putting half your money on any one thing is bad, putting it on something volatile is just straight up gambling.

As for crypto going bad, that depends on perspective,
Zoom out and it looks more like a market correction, a significant one, but still a market correction. A year and ago there was a spike in prices, in 4 months it went from $10k to $58k and it suck there. Had Bitcoin held relatively steady growth like it had for the decade prior it would closer to $16 or $18k. Regardless, if you bought before the spike you still more than doubled your money if you hung onto it through the spike.

Chart showing the explosive growth, as of this morning.
290396-0

If you want stable investment, do your homework look for something stable.
If you want to gamble and make big money, do your homework and run the risk.

Edit: added chart.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 August 2022, 12:53:55 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 14:17:40 »
Their post was from a year ago when Crypto was above $40k/BTC. . I knew this was going to happen as it happens in a cycle every few years (has done it since 2012/13).  If you want crypto it's move a small amount into the market now while it is in it's corrective state, I know I bought in when it dipped below $20k a while back when this started.  Anything in the markets is a gamble, since there are bigger players manipulating it constantly.  But $1mill really isn't as much thanks to the market/economy fluctuations that have happened over the past couple of years - sure I'd still love to have it since it would aid in many things for myself & family that would add a bit more cushion for "Rainy Day" or emergency funds.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 18 August 2022, 17:34:35 »
Every time it's hit 60k or thereabout it's crashed.
Didn't expect the Chinese ban or the Iran ban, but meh. Even at 40 though, it was still good deal at the time to buy in so long as you sold before it dropped.

No different than people getting in on Gamestop at $80 or AMC at $30, I would have thought you were crazy but they still went higher before crashing back down some. FOMO* is a hell of a drug. Everyone thinks they missed out by buying or selling too soon or too late.

*Fear Of Missing Out.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 14:58:11 »
Damn sounds like crypto cope.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 18:05:00 »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 11:22:30 »
While me happy I set flags to purchase small amounts when it dipped below $20k the past few months - now to see where it drives to (partially hoping for a $15k dip).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 22 August 2022, 16:21:26 »
Honestly I have a pretty great business idea, and it would only cost about $20k to get it started from home. So that's all I need right now -_-

and knowing that is just a pie in the sky dream as well, makes me even more defeated. I was reading an article earlier about some 20 year old that just made 9 figures investing, meanwhile I am approaching 40 and still living paycheck to paycheck. I do hope death's sweet embrace delivers me from this absolute bottom barrel misery of a decade soon. It's like no matter how much effort I put in, or what I do, my life just continues it's decline. It's really insane to watch.