Author Topic: Can microtron keyboard be remapped  (Read 2470 times)

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
Can microtron keyboard be remapped
« on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 20:58:16 »
Hi, is anyone familiar with microtron?
Do you know if this keyboard can be remapped?

http://www.personal-media.co.jp/retail/utronkb/info.html

I see in their pdf manual that there is a english layout, but could not find the qwerty version.
I could only see the tron version layout

thanks!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Can microtron keyboard be remapped
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 21:10:12 »
For that price, I would get an ErgoDox if you haven't already purchased that. Doxes are programmable for sure! Plus they are so much more ergonomic than that.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 21:15:37 »
Plus [ergodoxen] are so much more ergonomic than that.
I really can’t agree with that. The μTron is a much more carefully designed and much more solidly built keyboard than the Ergodox, and which one is “more ergonomic” depends a lot on the typist. I think each has some advantages and disadvantages from an “ergonomics” perspective.

The Ergodox has the advantage of being a great community project, fully programmable, and something that people can take pride in building themselves. But there are IMO some real problems with the design.

The main problem I have with the μTron is that it’s designed for Japanese people with tiny hands. My average-American-male size hands are a bit too big.

Anyway, to answer the OP: I don’t think it’s especially programmable, but you could always replace or augment the controller with your own Teensy or whatever.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 September 2014, 21:17:52 by jacobolus »

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 22:05:47 »
For that price, I would get an ErgoDox if you haven't already purchased that. Doxes are programmable for sure! Plus they are so much more ergonomic than that.

Yep, already have an ergodox, using Hasu's tmk firmware on that and it is magnificent  :thumb:
Just want to try something else, besides it is the almighty topre

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 22:06:48 »
Anyway, to answer the OP: I don’t think it’s especially programmable, but you could always replace or augment the controller with your own Teensy or whatever.

hmm... should I use this board as my first teensy mod?  :eek:

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 15:38:09 »
I'm pretty sure you can put the utron in "TRON" layout, which is based on dvorak, both otherwise it's not very programmable.

I think hasu has a beta part of TMK_firmware that can act as a USB-to-USB adapter. Then you can use it to reprogram the utron however you want, like the qido does from qwerty to dvorak, only programmable. Like the saorer PS/2 to USB only with USB on both ends. I've never tried it, but it could work.