Author Topic: 2013 Taiwan Keyboard Party!!!  (Read 5962 times)

Offline exousia7

2013 Taiwan Keyboard Party!!!
« on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 09:45:35 »
Registrations are open online now!! Anyone coming?? :D

http://iqmore.tw/2013-taiwan-keyboard-party-register

Offline plainbriny

Re: 2013 Taiwan Keyboard Party!!!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 20:31:06 »

Really interested, maybe I should show off my ErgoDox there  ;D

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 21:38:35 »
Bring it ;o

Offline exousia7

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 08:42:17 »

Really interested, maybe I should show off my ErgoDox there  ;D

yeeeessssssssssssssssssss

Offline MonoSky

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 09:23:44 »
Damn I am heading back to Taiwan for Winterbreak but I don't get there until Dec 15!!!!!....
|| Corsair K90 Reds || KBT Race WHITE LED with Black Switches || CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Reds

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 06:46:01 »
Registered. Will be there.

Offline exousia7

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 08:55:29 »
Registered. Will be there.

Sweeeeeeeeet

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 18:22:19 »
i miss it again =(
gonna make my next trip prob around may, stupid vacation days.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 19:50:12 »
Damn those lucky people who live in taiwan

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline plainbriny

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 20:17:33 »
Damn those lucky people who live in taiwan

Singapore is not far from Taiwan, you can make a round trip within one day (or two)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 21:29:14 »
Well, I would like to go, but it's only 11 days away.  Not much time to plan for a trip to Taiwan.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 21:29:42 »
I too also wished I could go, though I guess the only way I see fit is if I go to Taiwan I might as well serve in the compulsory military service. I guess only the people who were born in Taiwan would know what I mean.  ;D Compulsory military service for 18 or so (I think it was less) months depending on which short end of the stick I get drawn upon.

I'll definitely miss this year's keyboard party but if all things goes well here I may ultimately end up in Taiwan for 2014 and hence be able to attend 2014 Taiwan keyboard party. Please be around when I do get my chance to visit Taiwan and to serve my other home country!  :))
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 22:12:18 »
I too also wished I could go, though I guess the only way I see fit is if I go to Taiwan I might as well serve in the compulsory military service. I guess only the people who were born in Taiwan would know what I mean.  ;D Compulsory military service for 18 or so (I think it was less) months depending on which short end of the stick I get drawn upon.

I'll definitely miss this year's keyboard party but if all things goes well here I may ultimately end up in Taiwan for 2014 and hence be able to attend 2014 Taiwan keyboard party. Please be around when I do get my chance to visit Taiwan and to serve my other home country!  :))

well i was born in taiwan but i was granted an immigrant visa since i left to live perm in the USA at 4 yrs old lol.
And also i use my US passport to avoid any conscription issue.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 22:43:52 »

well i was born in taiwan but i was granted an immigrant visa since i left to live perm in the USA at 4 yrs old lol.
And also i use my US passport to avoid any conscription issue.
Haha I am not alone. Immigration visa (through parents) for Australia eversince when I was 7 years old. I also use my Australian passport to avoid being conscripted.

Though ultimately to keep using foreign passport and all is really only a temporary stop gap. My Chinese really could do some "hard scruffing" (no not polishing, it has gone to the point of literally unrepairable) plus it might end up looking a little interesting on my resume when I finished serving. Of course all these plus the usual benefits I guess of staying in service as a job as well as I guess in the future of possibly never need to worry about being conscripted in the future once serving my duties.

All in all I think there are more positivies than negatives to the scenario. I have heard that it was once a three years service and one could only get to be "plucked" for three types of military service. The toughest one was being in the navy. Nowadays I hear there are a few more duties available apart from being in the military (of course this only solely depends on one's luck, if they get picked to be in the military, that will be their own misfortune) as well as the fact that there are rumours in which one may not get to serve a "harsher" service if they were from abroad (or even entered higher education). All that plus shortening of the compulsory serving term. The deal is definitely becoming more lucrative.  :))
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 22:51:02 »
heh, i actually went into taiwan on my taiwan passport to renew my citizenship card a few years ago, got a letter sent from the military council to appear 2 days after landing in taipei.
Went to the council, showed them my US passport and Taiwan Passport and my NY Drivers License.

Their ruling for me was I can only stay 180 days every 2 years.  If I go past that, I'll have to stay for conscription.
Ofcourse, i'm personally not worried as the US Consulate will get me out of the country if I really get detained lol

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 23:06:32 »
heh, i actually went into taiwan on my taiwan passport to renew my citizenship card a few years ago, got a letter sent from the military council to appear 2 days after landing in taipei.
Went to the council, showed them my US passport and Taiwan Passport and my NY Drivers License.

Their ruling for me was I can only stay 180 days every 2 years.  If I go past that, I'll have to stay for conscription.
Ofcourse, i'm personally not worried as the US Consulate will get me out of the country if I really get detained lol
Haha yes, the joys of being dual (or more) citizenship.  ;D I too could probably do something similar with my Australian passport and Queensland driver's license (in Australia). Though I am sure if I were to appeal against the ruling I am sure they might make a decision following after a scrawny looking face like as if we are "outcasts".  :p

I also recall there used to be severe penalties for trying to dodge/evade compulsory service, something like becoming "ex-communicated" from the entire society as a result. Though this was awhile ago. I am not sure if it still stands true otherwise.

In either case I don't plan to evade the compulsory service, my only hope is that I won't get picked to some service where I'll be heavily scrutinised.  :))

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 23:15:59 »

Consulate wouldn't do anything. Having a US passport would not exempt you from having to do your time. You're still required to follow local laws. Not making fun of you or anything, but your size may exempt you from service.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 23:23:42 »

Consulate wouldn't do anything. Having a US passport would not exempt you from having to do your time. You're still required to follow local laws. Not making fun of you or anything, but your size may exempt you from service.

if not size, my -13 vision lol.
if i as a USA citizen i make a stink, not to mention history shows i haven't lived in taiwan in over 23 years, im sure i'd be allowed to leave the country
im sure it'll involve lawyers and $$, and i maybe not allowed back into the country after all the drama, but i'd be able to leave hehe

Either way, they give me 180 days, non Visa for US Citizens is only 60 days and besides no job I have is gonna allow me to just live in taiwan for so long.

Not to mention the new policy they're trying to put in to remove conscription soon.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 December 2013, 23:45:01 »

Tried to reach you via IRC but you weren't reacting so I thought I might as well post it here.  :p

hehe. "resistance is futile!" "you will be forced to service."

I was at one stage about to mention that you remind me of that sargent in "full metal jacket" movie. Though I think that is probably going a bit too far.  :))

if not size, my -13 vision lol.
if i as a USA citizen i make a stink, not to mention history shows i haven't lived in taiwan in over 23 years, im sure i'd be allowed to leave the country
im sure it'll involve lawyers and $$, and i maybe not allowed back into the country after all the drama, but i'd be able to leave hehe

Either way, they give me 180 days, non Visa for US Citizens is only 60 days and besides no job I have is gonna allow me to just live in taiwan for so long.

Not to mention the new policy they're trying to put in to remove conscription soon.

Heh my vision is also a bit poor but I am not sure if they care about that or not.

Also I guess if one tries to make a stink about it just because they are also a foreign resident, they may get "ex-communicated".

I sort of wonder if they are going to remove conscription, what "strings" will they provide in favour of that. I don't think too many ex-servicemen would be happy to hear that nonetheless (maybe even more for patriots).

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 00:19:35 »
Tried to reach you via IRC but you weren't reacting so I thought I might as well post it here.  :p

hehe. "resistance is futile!" "you will be forced to service."

I was at one stage about to mention that you remind me of that sargent in "full metal jacket" movie. Though I think that is probably going a bit too far.  :))

Ha, I am at work. That account is logged on home server.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 00:42:56 »
Don't lie laffin, you don't work :p

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 01:16:29 »
I cannot confirm nor deny these allegations ;o

Offline exousia7

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 20:03:53 »
Military service in Taiwan is actually 10 months now

Offline CrazyWu

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 00:35:49 »
 My family immigrated overseas when I young (3yo) and also didn't keep an up to date citizenship and passport either (parents didn't think it was necessary at the time).

Recently I've had to come back for personal reasons, although my Australian passport only allows me to stay for 30 days. Wasn't aware until a friend told me that I could renew my Taiwan passport and apply for military exemption under special consideration which allows you to stay for 4 months.

On another note, there are various disabilities that excuse you from doing military service such as having flat feet (depends on the severity though, I also have this condition but haven't had it checked).
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 December 2013, 01:18:05 by CrazyWu »

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 08:55:57 »
Sorry for going offtopic.

To be very frank about compulsory military service, I personally am not intending to not do any of it (in other words trying to evade). It was all the horror stories that I have heard of how it was and also now my Chinese (Mandarin) is very poor let alone the ability to even be able to speak Taiwanese that sort of turned me off thinking of it. Not trying to be picky on it overall but I would hope that the compulsory military service ordeal could be a little friendlier maybe for those whom has also lived abroad (either raised or immigrated but not born overseas).

Anyway I still hope that I can make it for Taiwan keyboard party 2014! if all goes well with my end of things. Ultimately if I could kill two birds with one stone (do compulsory military service and be done with it once and for all, and attend the keyboard party) it may just work out to be the best for me within my stay for maybe a year in Taiwan. ;D

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline iqmore

• http://iqmore.tw
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 17:33:13 »
See u~~!

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 21:56:46 »
Were you up late or up early? o___0

Offline exousia7